General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountaineer Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountaineer Triathlon - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morgantown, West Virginia
United States
HFP Racing
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 03m 6s
Overall Rank = 26/93
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

Went down on Saturday for packet pick up and drive the bike course, whis I hadn't. Got up at 3:45am to meet my dad for the drive down. Once there managed to get body marking and timing chip pick up down and set up transition. Had a bout an hour before my wave start so I put on my wetsuit and ambled around a bit watching the other waves start. Ate a PB&J and coffee for breakfast
Event warmup:

A really short swim in the new wetsuit just to make sure everything was ok, it was. No other warm up
Swim
  • 43m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall I had a decent swim. I did have a horrendous panic attack about 150 or so yds into the swim and really didn't think I could go on. Lasted about 45 seconds. I just wanted to swim to shore and get out. Managed to calm myself down and breathe easily. Started swimming again and things fell into place. Sighting was ok. Overall I'm pleased with the swim. I did not like the exit. It required that you pull yourself out of the water onto the dock. I belly flopped onto the dock like a fish.
What would you do differently?:

Actually do some OWS before the first time I had to race that way.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Nothing remarkable. Transistion area was over overcrowded and it made for a bit of fenagling to get bike out around other peoples gear. Same for everybody and it seemed all were being as careful as possible to avoid getting in each others way.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 35m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.61 mile/hr
Comments:

This was one tough bike course. I was either in my 39X23 gear going up hill or 54X11 gear going downhill. Virtually nothing in between. It was hard to get any kind of a rhythm going at all. Volunteers did an excellent job keeping the intersections safe. No water on the course at all except for the turn around at the end of lap one. We were told there would be two aid stations on the course and that was not the case. Organizers dropped the ball on this big time. For $125 entry fee I would have expected some aid on the course.

Not do this race again
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Good transition. No problems
Run
  • 1h 42m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a great run. Legs felt great coming of the bike and was able to really getting moving right away. Grabbed ice and water at the first aid station. At about mile 4 I started to cramp on my right side and tired some infinit at the next aid station. That didn't help so I drank water sparingly the rest of the way. By mile 11 the legs were shot and I just run on in survival mode knowing the end was coming fast.

Possibly tried to even out my pace a bit more but overall I think my run was very good
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and coke. Had a sloppy joe and a few cookies. Waited for results and then let my wife drive the hour and a half home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills on the bike course were much harder then I expected.

Event comments:

Overall I was pleased with my performance. I didn't like the bike course at all and felt that it was a huge let down by the race organizers to have a course that difficult and not have any aid stations on the course. Post race activities were nil and they couldn't get the results posted. I was very dissappointed not to see them after the race. No awards presentation of any kind. It was my first year at this race and won't be doing again. It's a shame that the race organizers couldn't be organized because the volutneers really did a nice job with everything else.

Last updated: 2011-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:18 | 2112 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 55/93
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 Sleeveless
Course: Two laps of a large rectangle
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:35:11 | 56 miles | 15.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 53/93
Performance: Average
Heart rate average was 135. Mostly Zone 3
Wind: Little
Course: Two out and back laps. Map my run had it at 3600 ft of climbing and another competitor listed it as 6500 ft
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:42:03 | 13.1 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 19/93
Performance: Good
Average heart rate at 142
Course: Two laps of an out and back on the Deckers Creek trail. 80% asphalt / 20% gravel. Water stations every mile
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2011-06-28 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Somerset, PA
Subject: Mountaineer Triathlon - Half Ironman

2011-06-28 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3571201

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Mountaineer Triathlon - Half Ironman
Looks like you had a great race all things considered.  Nice run pace!
2011-06-28 12:56 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Congrats on finishing!!!  I withdrew after one lap of that bike course.  It was killer man!!! 
2011-06-28 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Great job!
2011-06-28 7:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

You are amazing!  That course almost killed me.  My Garmin had the bike at 6700 ft elevation gain.  Great job!

Christy

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountaineer Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed