General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jack's Generic Tri (New Braunfels) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-01 1:55 PM

Subject: Jack's Generic Tri (New Braunfels)
Has anyone done this race?  What can you tell me about the bike and run courses.  Looking at this race but would be flying down from Lubbock to do it.  Worth it?

2011-07-02 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3577205

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Jack's Generic Tri (New Braunfels)

LBKTri - 2011-07-01 1:55 PM Has anyone done this race?  What can you tell me about the bike and run courses.  Looking at this race but would be flying down from Lubbock to do it.  Worth it?

Not sure if anyone flies to go do a sprint, but if you're going to fly to a sprint, then this is a good one to do. If you're staying a few days and visiting area sights, then it might be worth the trip.

I've done it twice and they put on a good race. Live music and post-race beer and party. Nothing fancy, but a good solid race. Lots of local talent (fast) from the Austin area.

The swim is easy to navigate in the semi-circle, water ski lake.

The bike is a bit hilly, but not too bad. If you're in good shape, you can hammer up and they top out about the time your lungs bust, and then it's a short down-hill until the next one. Not flat, but not bad.

The run is an out and back and there is one hill, but it's not bad either.

2011-07-02 8:24 PM

Well, normally I wouldn't consider flying for a sprint but we have family in the Austin area.  My sister-in-law will be doing her first tri at this race.  We (my wife and I) decided that we would go down and race with her and make it a family affair!  

Thanks for the info on the course!  I appreciate it!

2011-07-12 2:30 PM

User image

Regular
Texas

I'm entered and psyched up about it. Got my new bike that I will be using for the first time!

2011-07-14 4:29 PM

User image

Pretty excited to do this one. I am complete TriNoob. 

Naturally I have questions:

Parking: What's the parking situation like. Having driven by several time, but not really paying attn I was thinking parking would be along the frontage road pretty early on. Is it worth arriving before 6am to get a prime spot?

Spectators: How spectator friendly is this event?

Sunscreen: Do they have volunteers applying it at the trannies or should I plan to do it?

Thanks.

2011-07-14 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3597012

New user

The Woodlands
I am signed up.  This will be my first tri.

2011-07-28 3:57 PM

User image

Regular
Texas
Getting close. Good luck this weekend all.
2011-07-29 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3619591

User image

Thanks. 

Packet picked up, totally psyched (obsessed) to do it. 

If it feels right after Sunday I think I'll be signing up for Avia or maybe the Xterra in Navasota. 

2011-07-29 3:43 PM

User image

Regular
Texas
I'm the same way. I thought my last one was going to be a few weeks ago, but I keep adding another race. I just signed up for the OLY Austin Tri. I might even add another sprint before that to keep sharp.
2011-07-31 7:36 PM

User image

First Tri, but definitely not my last. Lots of room for improvement and efficiency. I could easily drop transition time with lock laces, running without socks (like I have practiced), Tri bike shoes would be a bit faster to put on. In the bike I could definitely push more and train a lot more on speeding up my run. Swim, I don't see gaining more than a minute without a significant effort including coaching and lots of drills, but it will be a focus area. I could probably gain 15 secs simply by cleaning up form and sticking to freestyle constantly. 

I figure the bike is the first place to really put in some work and then the run. 

Anyway, twas a great event and a great time. Everyone was great, the volunteers, sponsors, event hosts were all just awesome and helpful. 

I was expecting a bunch of elitists, but everyone was cool and encouraging.

Jack's Generic Tri <b></b>(Male 40-44 AG<b></b>)

2011-07-31 8:08 PM

User image

Regular
Texas

Overall, I was very pleased with the event and my performance. The only thing is that I have not put in a whole lot of time into the bike, and it shows. The bike leg killed me. I was struggling as I watched people "zipp" by me (pun intended). I was very happy with my swim. I felt great and was able to get up with the leaders in my group. Getting ready now for the Austin Tri - olympic distance... I will be going to school in two weeks, and will get my cyclist friends to whip me into better shape. Run was an easy out and back.

Class
Position
Gun
Time
Chip
Time
Overall
Place
Country
Gen
Place
Tot
Div
Tot
Gend
Tot
AG
Swim
500m
Rank
Swim
500m
Swim
500m
Pace
T1
Bike
13.8M
Rank
Bike
13.8M
Bike
13.8M
Pace
T2
Run
3M
Rank
Run
3M
Run
3M
Pace
Search for     389 Ryan Gill Houston, TEXAS
01:17:54
01:17:54

09:15
1:51/M
01:30
45:00
18.4mph
01:23
20:45
6:55/M

<form id="prevresults" name="prevresults">

I want to know who the hell wrote the participant guide. Relatively flat my a$$!!

2011-07-31 8:21 PM

User image

Wow Ryan you killed it. 

Yea, I was going to "review" the course...and mention that the "relatively flat" course was relatively hilly. No climbs per se, but definitely some hills...especially the first one within the first 1/4 mile. It was nice to hit 40mph on the long approach back to the transition though.

The water was just BAD, like swimming in diesel fuel. The cable above did help with sightly though.

Run, like Ryan said, easy out and back. 

Considering I started Tri specific training 18 days before the event when I decided to register I am very pleased with my results. I HATE running, so it's my Achilles and my bike suffers because of that too, I always conserve, conserve, conserve on the bike. I am a mountain biker, including the race itself I have clocked a grand total of 181 miles on a road bike in my life  

I may do the Sprint at the Avia, it will be the last chance I have for a race until late spring, I am having a major shoulder surgery on Sept 14th (torn labrum, dislocate biceps tendon). I definitely have the bug and look forward to next year's Texas Tri Series!

Edited by hunrugger 2011-07-31 8:22 PM
2011-08-01 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3622860

User image

Regular
Texas

Hope the injury(ies) heal up. I have finally been injury free for about a year. Last year I had foot and knee surgery from rare injuries, and a partially torn rotator cuff. I know how bad it feels to be injured. I told myself that Jack's Generic was going to be my last race, but I keep signing up for more; I just can't get enough.

I have had numerous achilles aches and pains over the past year. I compete for my school in the decathlon, and the stress of a season can really tear your legs up. I have found that my achilles do not hurt because of my achilles though; they hurt because of the tightness in my calves. When I have workouts where I am on my forefoot more, the calves get over strained sometimes, making my achilles hurt badly. I would recommend specialized strenght training and streching for your calves. It has helped me a lot. Good luck with future races.

2011-08-02 12:00 PM

User image

New user
I feel bad for the last few waves to start.  It's pretty gross swimming in one of the first waves before it gets all churned up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jack's Generic Tri (New Braunfels) Rss Feed