General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Surf Town Tri -IB Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-04 7:19 PM

Subject: Surf Town Tri -IB

Has anyone ever done this race? I was wondering if it was a good one for a beginner. Also, I was wondering how the swim was? This would be my 2nd tri and my first one was a pool swim. I am a little nervous about the ocean swim but it is 500 meters so that shouldn't be too bad right?

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

2011-07-06 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3580339

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Subject: RE: Surf Town Tri -IB
The run and bike are very flat, but the swim can be rough, depending on the day (and the luck of your wave start).  As you mentioned, it's only a quarter of a mile.  The only real challenge is getting out past the break.  Keep an eye on the waves on your way back in and you might get a free ride.  This is an okay first race, but there are better ones.  It's pretty easy to access, and parking isn't that much of a problem (provided you get there early).  It's just a ways south - at least for me.  I'll probably pay the extra $10 to pick up my stuff on race morning to save me a trip down to IB on Sat.
2011-07-06 11:43 PM

Thanks for the info about the race. It is good to know that the rest is flat. I think I might try it.

I have been checking out other ones in the area too. I have been itching to do another one ever since I crossed the finish line of my first.  Smile 

2011-07-08 11:44 PM

New user

san diego
I'm planning on entering.  The bike leg goes right behind my house.  My kids will probably be sitting on the fence cheering everybody on.
2011-08-01 3:02 PM

Brawley (Middle of the Desert), CA
I have registered for the Surf Town Tri.  I had originally planned this to be my very first triathlon...ever.  It would have been my first triathlon on my 25th birthday.  After looking around, I found one called "My First Triathlon" in Lake Perris and did that one as my first, so Surf Town will be my second.  Looking forward to the course.  Does anyone know what the water temp is like??  Trying to decide about a wetsuit.  Good luck to all!
2011-08-01 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
surfline.com has the water temp right now at 63-65.  I will be wearing my wetsuit, thought about ditching it in Solana where the water temp was 69.  It was pretty warm but I went with it anyway, glad I did, a little buoyancy is always good for me.

2011-08-02 1:43 AM
in reply to: #3624218

User image

Master
I would count on a mid 60s water temp, but it can vary if an upwelling comes in.  Last weekend the Coronado open water swim was ~55F (Disclaimer - I was told this temp by people who did the event, I personally didn't do it).

lmhutch86 - 2011-08-01 3:02 PM I have registered for the Surf Town Tri.  I had originally planned this to be my very first triathlon...ever.  It would have been my first triathlon on my 25th birthday.  After looking around, I found one called "My First Triathlon" in Lake Perris and did that one as my first, so Surf Town will be my second.  Looking forward to the course.  Does anyone know what the water temp is like??  Trying to decide about a wetsuit.  Good luck to all!
2011-08-02 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego

I'm going to wear the wetsuit regardless of temp.  It's a short swim, so even in the unlikely event that the water is too warm, you won't overheat.  IMO you'll always be faster in a wetsuit (so long as it fits properly).  I know a couple of people (elite swimmers) that decided not to wear a wetsuit for this race a few years back and they got dropped by the pack.  They both told me that they should have worn one.  Sure, your T1 time will be faster, but I think you'll make up for it with a faster swim with less energy expended.  If you're just planning to go out and take your time and enjoy the experience, then I could see not wearing a wetsuit - but then again, there's no better time than during a race to practice transitions.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Surf Town Tri -IB Rss Feed