General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To buy, or not to buy...used parts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-05 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: To buy, or not to buy...used parts?

I have a Quintana Roo Kilo triathlon bike.  The bike is already light, but being the nerdy triathlete that I am, I would still like to be riding something even lighter.  I am thinking that instead of saving up over the "years" to buy a new lighter bike, I would like to, instead, slowly replace parts on my current one (eventually pretty much everything but the frame). 

ONE: Is this a good idea, or should I just save and keep riding my bike?

TWO: Which parts are o.k. to buy used and which ones should I buy new?  (ie. is it really safe to buy used rims off ebay?)

THREE: Which parts should be my priority?  (ie. should I focus on rims first, then aero bars, then seat post?)

Thanks a ton for your replies!  I know this isn't the most interesting question to answer.

2011-07-05 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3581541

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: To buy, or not to buy...used parts?

It's usually a lot more effective, and cheaper, to lighten the rider... Wink

Okay, enough levity. look for the boat-anchor parts. Leegoocrap loves the Egg brakes, and they'll trim off a fair amount of weight. Going to a lighter BB/crankarm combo shaves a significant amount.

I'd be leery of buying used "everyday" wheels. A scored rim can pop at any time. And I'm not a fan of using the same wheels for racing and training (but that's just me).

I don't remember if the Kilo uses a round seatpost, but if it does, and it's one of those cheaper billet aluminum ones, you could save some good weight by going carbon.

Lightweight stem...

ETA -- if it's an older Kilo with the threaded headset and quill stem, then you can drop some real weight by going with a threadless fork/headset/stem.

Edited by briderdt 2011-07-05 2:44 PM
2011-07-05 2:40 PM

User image

Expert

I can't provide specific's on what is safe to buy or not buy.  However, I bought my bike on Ebay.  Specialized S-Works E5, seller had replaced all dura-ace components with a mix of whatever she had in box's in the garage I assume.  Picked it up really cheap 2 years ago with the assumption that the frame is a solid foundation and I could build as I go. 

Since then I have replaced the stem, seat, seat post, bars, shifters, brakes, wheels, cassette and chain.  I am patient and wait for good buys through friends, BT or other sources and pick up parts cheap as they become available.  I have my eye out now for a rear deraleur derailleur and good crank and I am done.  Bike weighs in now at 17.5 lbs with TT setup or I can switch back to Road setup and drop it down to 16.  So far I have invested about 1200 dollars which I am very pleased with.

Plus it's fun to search for deals and build the bike up.

ETA: Perhaps if I spell correctly I would be more apt to find the parts I am looking for.  duh

Edited by Batlou 2011-07-05 2:43 PM
2011-07-05 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

A few answers:

1. Weight matters very little in bike racing. Unless you are talking about 50 lb bikes and your race is in the Sierras or the Alps. What matters a lot is design, function, durability, and aerodynamics. If you replace parts, focus on those qualities. Weight ranks last, and by a big margin.

2. Used parts are great. But you really should only buy used parts if you (or someone who helps you out) knows at least a bit about bikes, components, compatibility, and how abused parts look like. If you have that expertise avail, then, yes, used parts will save you a lot of money.

3. Focus on safety and aerodynamics. In terms of aero performance, the accepted ranking, from biggest difference to least, is aerobars first, aero helmet, aero wheels, and then aero frame.

ps. If you need a bento pack, of course get one that is designed well: ours ! Smile

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To buy, or not to buy...used parts? Rss Feed