Midland/Penetanguishene, Ontario
Canada
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 28s
Overall Rank = 30/102
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 12/23
Pre-race routine:

What a great morning...slept well and woke up frech and ready at 4:30. It was odd cause I didnt have the usual pre race jitters which I think inadvertantly started giving me the jitters when I thought about not having the jitters...meh..whatever.
Left early for the event so that I could get a descent spot to rack and set up. Other than that, no real routine.
Event warmup:

1 hr before race start I went for a 20 min run to get things started. After the run, spent my usual eternity getting into my suit then went for approx 200m of warm up swim. This was a way better approach coampared to the mini tri I did in June.
Swim
  • 16m 47s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Compared to my first race this swim was a far better effort in all categories. I had a really good warm up before the start which made it easier to get into a rythum with respect to breathing. I started at the back of the pack as planned and had open water the whole way...no washing machine this time, no one punching or kicking or even swimming over top of me....lesson learned.
Breathing was smooth, pace and sighting was good. Swam relatively straifght the whole way with very little issues sighting. Passed a few breaststoke swimmers and this time the water was realatively clear and could see them before the toe taps to the face.
Key for this swim is that I did the whole thing freestyle and no semse of panic.
What would you do differently?:

Although I swam way better this time, I would look to pick up the pace a little more. Felt great getting out of the water which meant I could have pushed harder. With more experience in OWS I will better be able to judge my RPE and push harder
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Solid transition, time unknown however would put it at approx 1 min or maybe less. Felt smooth and fast.

Next time I will swim with my race belt under my wetsuit , not a big deal to put it on in transition but that would be the only thing I change. Everything else about T1 was solid.
Bike
  • 40m 49s
  • 21.5 kms
  • 31.60 km/hr
Comments:

I went hard on the bike...the course was to my liking with a good climb at the begining ( I like climbs...alot ) and made up some ground on those who beat me out of the water. Passed maybe 10 or so riders heading up the hill. I dont recall anyone passing me on the bike overall.
I tested out my new aero helmut as well today, maybe that is what made me feel so fast, at my age if you cant ride fast, at least look fast.
Overall a fairly fast course with some slow rising climbs and some really fast newly paved sections.
There was however a stretch of what I would describe as tar/gravel combo. Kinda rouch and zapped the energy out of the legs.
I tried to stay hydrated (for the run) but found on the second lap difficult to get anything down the hatch, both hydration and nutrition, and it would catch up with me on the run.

Pace...I felt really good on the bike however may have over extended myself and impacted the run.
Need to dial back a bit on the pace which is hard to do when you are riding well and legs a fresh and dialed in.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No timing for T2 but felt really fast again. I would guess around the 20-30 sec range. Well, fast for me :)

nothing, as I felt the transition went really well.
Run
  • 27m 54s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 35s  min/km
Comments:

Overall the course was good, trail run that was relatively flat with some small descent / climbs at the bridge crossing. Half the course was within the sheltered woods which gave some releif from the heat but once in the open, the temp was a bit of a killer.
Around the 2km mark started getting some minor GI issues. Was slightly dehydrated but would rather that than the sloshiong of to much fluids from the bike. I sould have used a little more nutrition on ht ebike to suppliment the run however with the heat had a hard time getting food/GU's down the hatch.

Work on hydration/nutrition. Not sure if it was just the heat or poor plan overall. Need to work this out before the HIM in Sept.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished slightly dehydrated...so got soem water and gateorade into me then cooled down with a swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Although on the bike I went hard, my HR was Z5 all the way, my RPE was good and felt like I could go harder, I may have over extended the bike and impacted my run. This is only my second Tri and will need to figure out pacing for my next race which is an Oly in Aug. There is no way I could hold that pace for an Oly and certainly not HIM.

Event comments:

Overall this was a great event. As usual, without the volunteers we would not be able to race and they did an outstanding job.

Last updated: 2011-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:47 | 750 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/23
Overall: 52/102
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Beach start with a horeshoe shaped course.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:49 | 21.5 kms | 31.60 km/hr
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 7/102
Wind: Some
Course: Course had one good climb about 2km into the loop. Otherwisw some rollers but seemingly fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:54 | 05 kms | 05m 35s  min/km
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 34/102
Performance: Average
Course: Course started with a short climg and ended with good long slight gradient climb.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes