General Discussion Race Reports! » Sado Long Distance International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sado Long Distance International Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sado, Niigata
Japan
Sado Long Distance International Triathlon
27C / 81F
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 56m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Packed my race bags the night before. Ate a big plate of spaghetti with diced chicken in the sauce. Slept about 5 hours or so.

Got to the transition area at about 5:30. Checked in. Set up my stuff. No problems.
Event warmup:

Didn't really warm up.
Swim
  • 43m 55s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim time surprised me. I was thinking it would take me about an hour. I drank a bit more seawater than I thought I would.

My strokes were good (or at least, I thought they were good...technically speaking, I don't know). Lots of people touched my butt, but no one hit or kicked me! ;)
What would you do differently?:

I will definitely place myself near the faster groupings at the start. (There were signs posted saying 30 - 40 mins, 40 - 50 mins, 50 + mins). I found I did a lot of dog paddling at the start of the swim, waiting for slower people to disperse from the large groups.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Took my time on this. No worries.
Bike
  • 4h 24m 46s
  • 105 kms
  • 23.79 km/hr
Comments:

This is my favorite part of a tri: not cause I'm particularly good at it, but because it stresses me out the least.

Again, my time surprised me on this part. I was shooting for 5 hours. And I did it in less. I think I passed more people than passed me, but maybe I was even.

About half-way through the course, it started raining cats and dogs. It stopped pouring with 70 km left to go, but continued to rain (drizzle and just regular rain). The rain completely ruined my favorite down-hill part of the course! (>_<) But, it did keep the temperature pretty cool.

I think I did an OK job of hydrating myself and eating. I only dropped one bottle while going through an aid station; the rest were perfect grabs. I mashed a banana too, but I ate it anyway. :)

I made two short pit stops (one for the bathroom and one for nothing in particular). I don't think I'll do that next time. (But, then again, it'll depend on the race.)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Also took my time on this one. Had to dry off my feet because of the raining.
Run
  • 1h 47m 36s
  • 20 kms
  • 05m 23s  min/km
Comments:

This, like the previous parts, went better than expected. I ran this eleven minutes faster than in a race I had done 3 months previous.

There were aid stations about every 2.5 kilometers on the run, but I only stopped at the 10 kilometer and 15 kilometer mark. And I didn't really stop: I just ran through and picked up a cup and tried to drink it on the run (maybe not a good idea).

The last five kilometers were tough, but the last 500 meters weren't. ;)

I think I would walk the aid stations and use one or two more of them than I did this time around.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't really warm down. Kinda just milled around the transition areas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing I can think of. The rain was a pain (in Spain on the plains), but I don't think it limited my abilities. I don't have bike shoes, but I'm not sure how much of a factor that is.

Event comments:

This is a very well done Triathlon. Everyone I talked to had nothing but good things to say about its organization, staff, and island residents (i.e. friendly and welcoming). If you're in Japan, definitely sign up for this race.

Last updated: 2005-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:55 | 2000 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Speedsuit (sleaveless)
Course: 700 meters out, 600 across, 700 in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:24:46 | 105 kms | 23.79 km/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Biked around the bottom half of Sado Island.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:47:36 | 20 kms | 05m 23s  min/km
Course: A few hills, but nothing to get excited about.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-05 6:18 AM

New user

Subject: Sado Long Distance International Triathlon

2005-09-05 6:22 AM
in reply to: #240732

New user

Subject: RE: Sado Long Distance International Triathlon
Haha, that "many people touched my butt" remark was supposed to be more funny than it looks after posting it.

Hint: when reading that picture a guy giving the "wink wink, nudge nudge" gesture!
2005-09-05 9:45 AM
in reply to: #240732

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Sado Long Distance International Triathlon

Nice Race!

If I read your original post right...this was your first tri? Awesome job!!

You had a great attitude and raced well.  Sounds like a fun race...great job ....keep up the good work!

Interesting how they tried to space swimmers based on their ability and estiamted time.  You swim was so much faster than you anticipated...woo hoo!! Too bad on the rain on the bike for the fast downhill.

Congrats Triathlete!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sado Long Distance International Triathlon Rss Feed