General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore/tight legs during run(Only during races) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-14 4:48 AM

User image

Regular
Dublin, CA
Subject: Sore/tight legs during run(Only during races)

So my last two races both olympic distances, during the run my legs(Especially the muscles above my knees) have tightened up to the point I am running at a 10min/mile pace during the race. I've had no problems with previous brick workouts with my legs being so sore/tight that I can't keep a steady 8min/mile pace. I was also well hydrated during the bike and run, taking water and powerade from every aid station on the course(ruling out dehydration). It seems that this only occurs on race day. Is it normal to slow down this much during a race or am I pushing too hard during races? Any suggestions as to what is holding me back?

Edited by Kdea 2011-07-14 4:57 AM

2011-07-14 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3595706

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Sore/tight legs during run(Only during races)
How is your bike pace in races compared to training rides? My guess is you are going hard on the bike and are dead by the run.
2011-07-14 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3595706

User image

Regular
Warwick, RI

I'm no help, but I have the same problem. Now that nipper mentioned it I do usually end up 2-3mph faster on race day vs training on the bike, and consequently way slower  than a normal run. So I guess push harder on the bike during training and hope it works out?

-Dave

2011-07-14 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3595818

User image

Regular
Dublin, CA

Nipper - 2011-07-14 5:37 AM How is your bike pace in races compared to training rides? My guess is you are going hard on the bike and are dead by the run.

My bike pace is a few mph faster. And now that I think about it, I do feel myself pushing harder(Especially on the bike) during races due to the competitiveness in me. Thanks Nipper, looks like I'm going to have to trainer harder!

RI_Tri22 - 2011-07-14 6:48 AM

I'm no help, but I have the same problem. Now that nipper mentioned it I do usually end up 2-3mph faster on race day vs training on the bike, and consequently way slower  than a normal run. So I guess push harder on the bike during training and hope it works out?

-Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll definitely have to step up my bike and running intensity's during training.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore/tight legs during run(Only during races) Rss Feed