General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new, slow triathlete looking for training/equipment advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-26 11:58 AM

User image

New user

north of Boston
Subject: new, slow triathlete looking for training/equipment advice

I did my first sprint tri two weeks ago and while I'm delighted I finished, wasn't DFL and felt pretty good I am disappointed/embarrassed at my times.  I have signed up for another tri on Sept. 11 and I'm wondering what you think would be my best strategy both in equipment upgrade and training plan.

Me:  semi-fit, slightly overweight  43 year old F.  Not much competitive athletic background, but I've always been at least a little active my whole life.  Until four months ago hadn't done any road bike riding for ~ 20 years, but had been doing some mountain biking.  Haven't consistently run in the past two years, but have done orienteering races and have managed to keep semi-fit (able to run 2 or 3 miles without injury or extreme difficulty).  Very little swimming in the past decade or so.

First tri times (the T1 and T2 times are included in these results) and comments:

1/2 mile swim: 23:35  My first time trying to swim 1/2 mile so I'm pleased I was able to do it.  It felt like much longer than 23+ minutes.  I recently got a wetsuit but didn't wear it because I've not gotten used to how constricting it feels.  Struggled with front crawl breathing (not getting enough air), did half or more breast stroke and side stroke.

10 mile bike:  46:19  Very disappointed in this time; have done much better in training.  Don't know if my T1 time is included here or in the swim time, but I'm guessing here.

3 mile run:  39:55  Slower than in training, but there is a rather steep trail hill that I walked, plus I walked about 1/4 of the rest of the course.

My next tri is a 1/4 mile swim (half the distance of my first tri), 10 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.

My training strategy is generic:  run more, bike more (especially hills) and work on my swim form.  I'm only up to running between 3 and 4 miles per run (my long runs are just coming up to 4 miles), and my bike rides are between 10 and 20 miles.  For swimming, I've been doing OW at a nearby pond, or laps in the pool at the gym working more on form than distance.  I've been going through the TI book and video lessons and that has help enormously (I couldn't even do rotary breathing two months ago).  Maybe get used to the wetsuit.  What training specifics would you recommend?

My equipment upgrade plan is this so far:  I just ordered toe clips for my bike (did the tri without any sort of clips) and will be putting them on this week.   Ordered a new saddle for better comfort on long rides (for now my riding time is limited more due to comfort than fitness).  I can't see buying clipless pedals/shoe and aerobars at this point in my fitness level (and I've used old-style toe clips in the distant past when I did some road racing in the late '80s so I'm used to them); maybe next summer I'll upgrade to clipless.  I'm happy with my running and swimming equipment (aside from feeling like I'm suffocating in my wetsuit).  I'm happy with my bike, too, although it's an entry-level road bike (a Dawes Shelia from bikesdirect) it's good enough for now.  I do wonder whether a bike fit would be worth the expense. What equipment upgrades do you think will help and be with the expense at this stage?

Thanks for any advice you care to give!!

2011-07-26 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3615364

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: new, slow triathlete looking for training/equipment advice
Quite frankly, I think you are doing fine. all I would recommend would be more training.

But you knew that already :-)
2011-07-26 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

formongo - 2011-07-26 11:58 AM  I just ordered toe clips for my bike (did the tri without any sort of clips) and will be putting them on this week.  

check rules first, in my area toe clips arent legal and they wont let you race.

2011-07-26 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3615497

User image

New user

north of Boston
DaveL - 2011-07-26 12:49 PM

formongo - 2011-07-26 11:58 AM  I just ordered toe clips for my bike (did the tri without any sort of clips) and will be putting them on this week.  

Wow -- I had no idea!  How common is this?  I couldn't find anything in the USAT rules just now when I checked and the race web site for my next tri doesn't mention toe clips so I guess I'll be ok for that one anyhow.

2011-07-26 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3615600

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
formongo - 2011-07-26 2:47 PM
DaveL - 2011-07-26 12:49 PM

Wow -- I had no idea!  How common is this?  I couldn't find anything in the USAT rules just now when I checked and the race web site for my next tri doesn't mention toe clips so I guess I'll be ok for that one anyhow.

It would have to be a specific race director or production company. I've never heard of clips not being allowed and I've used them a few times.

2011-07-26 6:36 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

2011-07-26 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3616038

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
the bear - 2011-07-26 8:36 PM

Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

Not that I know of; at least on the east coast we don't have any crazy rules like that

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2011-07-26 6:39 PM
2011-07-26 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3616038

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

the bear - 2011-07-26 6:36 PM Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

I wasnt sure if it was a local thing or a triathlon thing. It sounds like it might even just be Ontario - OAT has a rule against them for some reason. The last event I was at 2 kids in the kids of steel series were affected. One of them they were able to take the cages off, the other bike had them built into the pedal, luckily a bike shop that was at the event loaned them some pedals.

2011-07-26 7:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
FWIW - if they are legal I think toe straps/clips are a great idea.
2011-07-26 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3616096

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
DaveL - 2011-07-26 9:25 PM

I wasnt sure if it was a local thing or a triathlon thing. It sounds like it might even just be Ontario - OAT has a rule against them for some reason. The last event I was at 2 kids in the kids of steel series were affected. One of them they were able to take the cages off, the other bike had them built into the pedal, luckily a bike shop that was at the event loaned them some pedals.

That is a Kids of Steel rule; TriCan has decided no youth will have toe clips.

Shane
2011-07-26 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3616103

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

gsmacleod - 2011-07-26 7:33 PM
DaveL - 2011-07-26 9:25 PM I wasnt sure if it was a local thing or a triathlon thing. It sounds like it might even just be Ontario - OAT has a rule against them for some reason. The last event I was at 2 kids in the kids of steel series were affected. One of them they were able to take the cages off, the other bike had them built into the pedal, luckily a bike shop that was at the event loaned them some pedals.
That is a Kids of Steel rule; TriCan has decided no youth will have toe clips. Shane

Ahh! okay

2011-07-26 8:14 PM

User image

SWOH

I'm so sorry you feel disappointed in your times. And I know there's nothing anyone can say or do to make those feelings go away. I had a similar experience last year when I had a bad experience with a measly 5K race. It's hard to just take your accomplishments for what they are and realize how far you've come when your finishing time is "bad" by objective measures. But those objective measures just aren't a fair way to judge yourself in the beginning (maybe not even ever).

I spend so much time on here reading peoples' race logs, and it's really heartening to see that so many of them started their tri journey with race times they would consider embarrassing today -- just like I will when I do my first tri this weekend. But they got better with time and slow, concerted effort -- as will I, and as will you.

I don't have any specific advice except to say I know where you're coming from and hope you can feel pride in your accomplishment rather than those negative feelings.  I stopped running after that disheartening 5K, but luckily picked it back up in triathlon and refuse to let it drag me down again. Don't be like me and let your negative feelings hold  you back -- just keep moving!

Also, I bought myself some $10 toe cages the other day and the improvement on my bike is unbelievable. You're gonna be blown away by how much more power and focus you can get out of your legs when you get your cages.

2011-07-27 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
formongo - 2011-07-26 11:58 AM

I'm happy with my bike, too, although it's an entry-level road bike (a Dawes Shelia from bikesdirect) it's good enough for now.  I do wonder whether a bike fit would be worth the expense. What equipment upgrades do you think will help and be with the expense at this stage?

Thanks for any advice you care to give!!

If you haven't had a bike fit and you mention having problems with comfort - then do this!!!  Good luck with your training!  

2011-07-28 1:03 AM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Disappointed?  Shoot, you PR'd it!

If you're focusing on form/technique in the swim, you're doing the right thing.  That and getting comfortable in your wetsuit will do a lot to improve your swim time.

As for bike equipment, did you really mean "toe clips" (the cages with straps that you slip your feet into) or clipless pedals (shoes with cleats on the bottom that engage the pedal)?  If you're not already talking clipless pedals that would be the first equipment upgrade I'd recommend.  Fitting might be worthwhile but (my opinion, others may differ) if you're basically comfortable on your bike it's probably not the most important thing to spend money on right now.

Now it's time to use your experience and increased training to go out and PR the next one.
2011-07-28 5:55 AM

Veteran
Indiana

Getting your feet and your pedals attached to each other does make a difference.

A good bike fit can do wonders for your comfort level. To whatever extent discomfort/malposition is slowing you down, it may marginally improve your bike time.

Swim form/technique is big. Some swim lessons can be a high value purchase for inexpensive speed.

A couple of thoughts about times, and getting discouraged about other people being faster. Yes, it is very rewarding to improve one's times. A "PR" (personal record) is a great boost to the spirits. However it is also important to recognize that unless you're Chrissie Wellington, there will always be someone out there faster than you. For that matter, even Chrissie, one day, will have to cope with not being the fastest when a new crowd of younger faster women come along to beat her. Ultimately, for me, the reason I do this is not because of how I compare to other triathletes, but because of how this pursuit and this effort change me. When I am constantly striving to improve my performance, gearing my diet and exercise and rest to optimize what my body most needs, I become a different kind of person - a kind of person I like better than who I used to be. For me, this is the most helpful mind-set and goal-set to keep me moving along.

Last thought - and I can say this because I used to be 87 pounds heavier than I am now - losing weight is a great way to pick up speed. People will spend $300 on a carbon bottle cage for their bike because it's two grams lighter than the metal one. I'm no longer a fat guy, but even now, losing just another 10 pounds is probably the most accessible and effective way to improve my times. At least I hope so - I have a tri coming up September 3 and already I am 7 lbs lighter than I was for my last one. 

Edited by alath 2011-07-28 6:01 AM
2011-07-28 9:44 AM

User image

New user

north of Boston

Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement!

I will consider a bike fit -- it would be nice to be thinking about something other than how uncomfortable my bottom is after the first couple of miles.  How much should something like that cost?

The suggestion about weight loss being a great strategy is, I think, spot on!  It's probably the best thing I can do to increase my bike and run times, or maybe second best after getting in more training time.

2011-07-28 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3618609

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
formongo - 2011-07-28 10:44 AM

Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement!

I will consider a bike fit -- it would be nice to be thinking about something other than how uncomfortable my bottom is after the first couple of miles.  How much should something like that cost?

The suggestion about weight loss being a great strategy is, I think, spot on!  It's probably the best thing I can do to increase my bike and run times, or maybe second best after getting in more training time.

Congratulations on your first tri.  You've on the right track, and there are great suggestions here.  Weight loss is free speed on the bike and run (and easier on the joints); swim form is essential if you want to get faster.  Cost for a road bike fitting at your local bike shop should be less than on a tri bike: make sure you have bike shoes, you'll go faster and your feet will thank you.

The other key tip is patience and consistency. Your body needs time to adapt to your new and improved lifestyle: your cardio system and your muscles adapt much faster (weeks) than your skeletal system (tendons, ligaments, bones, joints, etc. can take months or years to adapt), an important issue in avoiding running-related injuries.  Increase your training gradually, make sure you get plenty of rest, eat smart and the weight will come down.  There are some great maintenance plans here for the wintertime so you don't lose the gains you've achieved.

Be patient, be consistent, and results will come.

2011-07-28 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3618609

Veteran
Indiana
formongo - 2011-07-28 10:44 AM

Uncomfortable bottom could be a fit issue, or perhaps a saddle that doesn't agree with you. Or maybe both.

Cost of a fitting varies wildly. My LBS charges $250, which includes 50% off any components you need to change for the fit, and free lifetime re-fit (if you lose weight, gain fitness, get a new saddle or new bars, or whatever). They are also pretty thorough. You can find people who will do this for less - one thing to try would be if there is a bike mechanic listed on your local Craigslist (guys who work out of a home garage sometimes do this). You can also go get aero fitted in a wind tunnel and spend 10x or 20x what my LBS charges. Another idea would be to get in touch with your local cycling club and see what they suggest. Before spending real money on a fitting, I'd want to know what the fitter's reputation is with cyclists in your area.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new, slow triathlete looking for training/equipment advice Rss Feed