General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 13s
Overall Rank = 338/975
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 55/138
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the hotel, had a bagel & pb & coffee & drove to the race with the family. Had 20oz of FRS, a Gatorade Prime and some water before the race. Stretched out a little and hung out with some Brooklyn Tri Club peeps before the race. Took a quick dip in the warm water and stood in the shade to try to stay cool, but it wasn't easy.
Event warmup:

Too hot for a warmup, but I jumped in the water and paddled around a little.
Swim
  • 30m 52s
  • 1584 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

THis was my first non-wetsuit swim. THe water was uncomfortably warm in places, but there were cool spots out in the deep water, so it wasn't bad. It was a washing machine-- lots of bumping and jostling along the far inside line where I seeded myself. I did really well until I made the hairpin turn. The sun was in my eyes and i couldn't really see the buoys and went off course a little. I finished in the middle of the pack in my wave, but would have been higher if I'd held a better line.
What would you do differently?:

Mirror goggles would have helped. My tinted lenses weren't dark enough. Otherwise a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

My transitions were horrible. Inexcusable in a no-wetsuit race. I had a long run from swim exit, but that's no excuse.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 24s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 20.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I loved this bike course. A few short inclines, but mostly flat with long straightaways. I passed lots and lots of people and was up at or about 20mph for virtually the whole course.

Maybe push a little harder, but this was a great bike leg. Fastest Oly bike leg ever for me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Again, horrible. Had a little trouble with the buckle of my new helmet and I wanted to lace up my shoes tightly since my calf had been sore, but no excuse. This should have been 30-60 seconds faster.
Run
  • 1h 01m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

My calf hurt coming into T2, so I knew I was going to have to take it easy. I tried to stay around a 9:30 pace, but I think I faded a little in miles 4 & 5.

Pick my pace up sooner, HTFU a little through the tougher parts of the run. It was really hot, so running through the unshaded sections was tough. I walked one or two aid stations but never for longer than it took to drink a full cup of HEED.
Post race
Warm down:

I was beat after this race. I drank a ton of water, then ate a lot. Pizza, a cookie, a coke, and more water. The pizza was awful and I still ate three slices, so there you go.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was incredibly hot, but I managed the heat well. I think if I hadn't been worried about my calf I could have managed :30/minute faster which would have translated to a 3 minute faster time.

Event comments:

This is a well-organized, well run race. The courses are scenic and relatively easy, so it's a good race for beginners. It's a little expensive given the ugly t-shirt and no swag to speak of, but overall I really enjoyed it and would consider racing it again.

Last updated: 2010-10-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:52 | 1584 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/138
Overall: 257/975
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Strangely shaped course. Out at an angle, then straight across to a turn buoy, then a 180-degree turn and a 200-300y swim back the way I came to swim exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:24 | 25.5 miles | 20.84 mile/hr
Overall: 235/975
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Two laps on closed, mostly flat well-paved roads. Probably the nicest bike course I've ever ridden.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:47
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:01:28 | 06.21 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Overall: 519/975
Performance: Average
Course: One lap of a slightly rolling pretty course in the park. Some hot, unshaded areas, but otherwise really good. Plenty of aid stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-27 10:29 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed