General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Syracuse Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Athleta Iron Girl Syracuse Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Syracuse, New York
United States
Ironman/Irongirl
74?F / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 04m 15s
Overall Rank = 567/1047
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 99/170
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00 - breakfast took care of dogs, set out with Dan from Dad's house. Mistake #1 - Coffee from Dad's wasn't tasting right and I didn't have my non-dairy creamer so grabbed a diet coke when Dan stopped for coffee. He waited to point out until the way home that it caused burping during my swim. Oh. That's why I couldn't do more than a few strokes with out coming up for air.
Anyway - set up transition area - checked air in tires - nervously, because back tire was flat when we loaded it into the Element yesterday and Dan graciously changed it for me when we got there.
Then helped another girl who didn't know how to use a bike pump....

Event warmup:

Got in the water at about 6:30am - felt great, it was so humid I was already sweating. Did some nice relaxed strokes, out and back, beautiful. Ready to go!
Swim
  • 21m 8s
  • 600 meters
  • 03m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

I thought I was ready for this! I should have waded a lot further, like everyone else. But I wanted to get swimming. And then it didn't work, and I lost all confidence - went back to wadeing/stroking, then tried to do some swimming but asthma had kicked in and I couldn't breathe. Then it the waves started coming in and the current was stronger then what I was used to - I kept telling my self that it would help on the way back in.. Thought when I turned the first corner it would be better, but wasn't, so reverted to back stroke for the first time all year, to try to catch my breath. Oh yeah... and the burping. Finally turned the corner back in... did them most actual free style here, but just couldn't make it continuous.
What would you do differently?:

Get more race experience so I don't get freaked out? Get a wet suit, even though it wasn't cold, for buoyancy and confidence? Swim ALOT more. Help the pool translate to the lake? Loose weight.
Transition 1
  • 05m 8s
Comments:

Good - 1 minute faster than last year?

maybe just don't bother with the bucket - sitting down still made it longer then necessary?
Bike
  • 57m 31s
  • 18.4 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Figured since I can't swim or run, at least I could do this well!

Get my breathing better so I can go even faster! Asthma was an issue today. Took the inhaler before each segment.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

I thought I did this well. Even took time to take my inhaler again. Oh - this is when it started raining the first time.

Nothing?
Run
  • 38m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't know why there were no ranks given. Maybe they'll print a more detailed list sometime? Just couldn't get my breathing under control. Talked myself into running to the turn around, but then let myself walk 3 times on the way back, trying to get my breathing back. It was sunny at one point, and rained at least twice.

Not let myself walk. Get better at running.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a lot. Did stretch while waiting for Dan.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My head. My asthma. Drinking Diet coke before the race. Not getting enough sleep the night before. Life.

Event comments:

I'd like to do it again next year, but better. I thought I would do it better this year. While I can say that the 5 extra minutes it took me this year was because the swim was so much longer than last year (the real 600 meters, which it was not last year) I just didn't swim or run better like I'd wanted to. I don't know why on the swim. The run I've been struggling with since I got that cold at the end of June, so I suspected that would happen.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-02-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:08 | 600 meters | 03m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/170
Overall: 788/1047
Performance: Bad
Suit: No
Course: Well, it was definitely the full distance this year!!! And with transition in the parking lot this year, a lot longer run to the timing mat! And with stones. It was like getting in at Lake Desolation...
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:57:31 | 18.4 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Overall: 133/1047
Performance: Good
Woohooooo! See my training page for today - although did spend majority of time in zone 4. Took a minute and a half off of last year.
Wind: Some
Course: Out - loop - back. Headwind coming back Mud Mill Rd. Only had to go out of the big ring once - near the beginning, going over Rt. 81 bridge right after a turn.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:22 | 03.11 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 0/1047
Performance: Below average
See training log. Even hit zone 5.
Course: Started out across a field that had lots of pot holes and I slowed down. Then through the stone parking lot for the fishermen and finally onto the road. Coming back had to go through the stone parking lot, but then onto the beach where the sand was hard packed and pretty easy to run on and then onto cement side walk to the finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-07 9:01 PM

Bethlehem, NY
Subject: Athleta Iron Girl Syracuse Women's Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Syracuse Women's Triathlon Rss Feed