General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming to visit...Any ideas for a run??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-09 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Coming to visit...Any ideas for a run???
Hi NY BT'ers!

I am coming to downtown Manhattan, staying at the Marriott - 85 West Street at Albany Street.
I am coming in Saturday, August 20th and staying until Tuesday, August 23rd.

Is there anywhere I could run outside (I am picturing it crazy busy) or should I just stick to the treadmill @ the hotel gym?

Thanks!!!
Laughing

2011-08-09 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3635904

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Coming to visit...Any ideas for a run???
I know exactly where you’ll be—it’s a great spot for running. You can go right out your front door, go one block West and be on the West Side Greenway, which is a traffic free bike/run path that goes all the way up to the northern tip of Manhattan. It’s my favorite place to run—it’s usually cooler than running on the streets, since it’s by the river and you have great views all the way up and down the island.

Best time on the weekend to run is before 9am. It gets significantly more crowded after 9:00. Other days, before work and after work, obviously, are when it’s busiest, but it’s never so crowded that you can’t run it.

Another idea is to run East across Warren Street, through the park in front of City Hall, and then over the Brooklyn Bridge and back. There’s some construction on the bridge, but you still have great views of the skyline and the Statue of Liberty. Make sure you stay out of the bike lane, though, or ill-tempered triathletes from Brooklyn will grumble at you.

There’s always Central Park, too. You could take a ride up there on the train if you had time. It’s a nice 10k loop with some decent hills.
2011-08-09 10:10 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
AWESOME!!  Thank you so much!

I will be sure to stay out of the way of cyclists!!
Laughing

Now I know where to run...I bought a ticket for the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tour...now I just have to figure out where to eat!
2011-08-10 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
You’re in a little bit of a black hole down there as far as places to eat. Most places are either expensive, touristy, or closed on weekends, since they cater to the Wall Street crowd.

I don’t know what kind of food you’re into, but I could certainly give you some suggestions.
I usually like to send people to “Old New York” kinds of places. You’re from Chicago, so you’ve got plenty of great restaurants there. I like to recommend places that are unique to NYC.

My favorite place to take people from out of town is Fanelli’s. It’s this 100+ year old bar in Soho. It’s not fancy by any means, but the food is great. They make the best bloody mary in the known universe and they have great burgers too. You can sit and eat at the bar if you’re by yourself and you don’t feel like getting a table.

If you like seafood, the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Terminal is fun. Sit at the counter, not in the “pub” area. Better people-watching and it’s the same menu.

Katz's deli on Houston St. is another classic NY place. Better food, IMO than the uptown places like the Carnegie deli.

Let me know if there's something specific you're looking for and I'll see if I can suggest a place.
2011-08-10 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3637556

User image

Regular

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-08-10 10:26 AM You’re in a little bit of a black hole down there as far as places to eat. Most places are either expensive, touristy, or closed on weekends, since they cater to the Wall Street crowd. I don’t know what kind of food you’re into, but I could certainly give you some suggestions. I usually like to send people to “Old New York” kinds of places. You’re from Chicago, so you’ve got plenty of great restaurants there. I like to recommend places that are unique to NYC. My favorite place to take people from out of town is Fanelli’s. It’s this 100+ year old bar in Soho. It’s not fancy by any means, but the food is great. They make the best bloody mary in the known universe and they have great burgers too. You can sit and eat at the bar if you’re by yourself and you don’t feel like getting a table. If you like seafood, the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Terminal is fun. Sit at the counter, not in the “pub” area. Better people-watching and it’s the same menu. Katz's deli on Houston St. is another classic NY place. Better food, IMO than the uptown places like the Carnegie deli. Let me know if there's something specific you're looking for and I'll see if I can suggest a place.

Without a doubt the best deli in NYC. The overpriced, over-hyped midtown scene has NOTHING on Katz's!

To the OP, don't even bother eating a meal north of 14th Street, you can find the best (and less expensive) eats in NYC in the East / West Village, Soho and the meat packing district.

2011-08-10 2:28 PM

User image

if i were you id take the subway to central park and run there! beautiful place to, ran there once during the NYC tri. to me that seems to be the most obvious place to

2011-08-10 6:46 PM

User image

Regular
Bronx
I work down there and walk by your hotel most days. I've gotta second the suggestion that you try the west side bike path. It's going to be the easiest access for you and you can literally see it right out the front lobby door, so you won't have to worry about getting lost. Battery Park is really nice, too. There's construction there right now but the detours are well marked and you'll figure it out. While the running / biking is good, I also agree with the prior posts that the food is total crap, so head north if at all possible! Welcome and have a great time!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming to visit...Any ideas for a run??? Rss Feed