General Discussion Race Reports! » YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Total Time = 1h 22m 32s
Overall Rank = 36/971
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/160
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6 am. Had a quick bowl of cereal, got dressed, quickly threw everything I piled up the night before into a bag and biked down to Nokomis. Perfect venue, only 1 mile from my house! I was up twice in the middle of the night to feed the baby, so not the perfect night of sleep before a race, oh well!
Event warmup:

Just got into the water real quick to feel out wetsuit, swim cap, joggles and water temp.
Swim
  • 09m 49s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

With my complete lack of swim training this went great. I started towards the front of my wave since this is a pretty beginner heavy race. I did a good job running into the water and not starting swimming too soon because its pretty shallow for awhile.
What would you do differently?:

I should have sprinted in the beginning more to try to hang with a faster group. I didn't push it at all in the beginning so got passed by a decent amount of people. With limited training i didn't want to go too hard but if I had hung on to a faster group drafting may have been easier. I was in no man's land.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

This went great. Wetsuit came off like I was greased up in butter (I wasn't). GOt helmet, sunglasses and biking shoes on quickly and I was off!
Bike
  • 46m 13s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 20.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I can't believe how great I felt on this. I pushed it and pushed hard the entire time but felt really good. The road was pretty rough in a few sections and that definitely slowed down some segments, but I felt great. A group of 4 or 5 of us got close together for the last 3 miles or so. Someone would pass me and then slow down. So i'd repass and then it felt like they were drafting. Kind of annoying, but no major complaints. really good bike split for me!
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Same as T1. Went smoothly. Both transition times were right in line with the other leaders of my age group.
Run
  • 23m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was worried after such a good bike split my legs were going to be toast and I think I kind of convinced myself of that for the first mile. THen i told myself to suck it up and run harder, so I did. Too bad I didn't tell myself that from the start of the run! Oh well, good run and felt strong for most of it. Passed a few people including 2 or 3 in my AG.
What would you do differently?:

Run really hard from the beginning.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much training this summer, but with the limited training I far exceeded my expectations and goals and had a great race.

Event comments:

I would highly recommend this race. It is super beginner friendly but also has a competitive field so it is nice for all sorts of athletes. My age group was really big and pretty competitive. It is nice to see so many women of all ages out there staying fit and looking good!

Last updated: 2011-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:49 | 500 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/160
Overall: 0/971
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:13 | 15.5 miles | 20.12 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:23 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-14 8:12 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon

2011-08-16 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3643351

User image

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
Subject: RE: YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon
great job, sounds like it was a really good race for you.  for "not much training" you put up some nice numbers!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon Rss Feed