Adrenaline Races
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 29m 33s
Overall Rank = 25/185
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45, ate 2 packs of oatmeal, drove to the start, rode the 45 min bus ride, walked around and stretched for 20 min. Then the race was 20 min late, so jus tsat there for 40 total min
Event warmup:

Jogged about 200 meters once
Run
  • 3h 29m 33s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well. I wasn't trying to set any records. I knew it would be warm and haven't put in the distance over the summer, so I was looking for a nice solid run, which I did. I held pretty steady. Ran 1:42:30 for the first half, and slowed about 5 min in thr second half when the sun was out and it heated up. Ran the last 15 miles or so with a greaet guy who ran his 100th BQ. That really helped break things up. By 20, I was hurting but held it steady right up to the end. At the 25 mark, I knew I would be sub 3:30 and I slacked a little bit then. I still finished well, felt good afterwards, and fell remarkably good today.

I made sure to drink a lot- 2 cups of gatorade at EVERY stop, instead of just 1 cup. I think that made a huge difference. I didn't feel that it was too much. I did stop an pee once at mile 10, but that was from overdoing the morning hydration, not the extra fluids during the race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Very well executed race plan, steady effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked the 1/4 mile to the car and drove straight to the airport. Made it 20 min to spare!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat kept it from being a faster run

Event comments:

Good small town race. I missed the expo/packet picj up the day before. Race Director was very helpful in arranging race day pick up. I was glad that they started at 6AM to beat the heat. While I hated getting up at 3:45, I would rather do that and get done by 10. Running in 85 degree sunshine is worse. They had only 5 port-a-pots at the start, so there was a huge line. 10 min before race start, there were still 100 people in line, so they pushed back the start for 20 min. I was pissed becasue I had a flight to catch and others were complaining about the delay, too. That was the only real glitch. Tons of volunteers, nice course. I really liked the areas off the trail, though. It let you see more of the midwest countryside. Overall, a good race.

Last updated: 2011-08-09 12:00 AM
Running
03:29:33 | 26.2 miles | 07m  min/mile
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 25/185
Performance: Good
Course: 25 of 26.2 miles was on an old rail-to-trails track. The other 1.2 were loops into neighbirhoods, but they were pretty hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes