General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Long Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Paola, Kansas
United States
KLM
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 31s
Overall Rank = 9/80
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00, took wake up shower, packed whatever didn't get packed last night. Made coffee and two PB&J sandwiches. Daughter had sleep over but still got up at 5:00 to join me. I told her she'd enjoy volunteering at a water station rather than just wait around for me.
Event warmup:

Got to Transition, left gear headed to porta-potty. Stretched while waiting in line. Went back to set up transition, stretched some more, chit-chatted with Eric then headed to swim start. Saw Brandon while waiting for our wave to be called.
Swim
  • 27m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decent swim for me. I've only averaged two swim workouts a week for the last few months. Didn't stray too far off the bouy line this time, had a lot of traffic on second lap from 1st long course wave and one of the sprint waves.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Just need to swim faster, need more time in the pool and some instruction, I'm sure my stroke needs some work.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

A quick transition for me. Fumbled with getting bike shoes on other than that, pretty smooth.

Nothing. Had good transition spot, just need to be better at getting shoes on.
Bike
  • 54m 29s
  • 20.84 miles
  • 22.95 mile/hr
Comments:

An O.K. bike ride for me. I thought my pace would be better than last weeks race due to the lack of hills on this one. Didn't feel as good as last week, not sure why. Might be because I didn't ride at all this week. There was a little headwind in a couple of spots. Shifting could ahve been better, especially right after the dip/small hill.

Ride at least once during the week prior.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Had a nice transition spot near the bike return. Had trouble getting the tire into the slot, cost 5-10 seconds.

Not sure.
Run
  • 38m 52s
  • 5.21 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt tight, slight cramping sensation after a couple hundred yards, ate a gel shortly there after to get some electrolytes in there. Seemed to work in the long run. Paced myself, got passed after about 200 yards wasn't going to stay with him. The kid at the 2nd water station was saying "keep going" when I was on the bike, said the same thing on the run. My daughter was working the last aid station so was able to say hello a few times on the bike and on the run. Was able to pick it up a little over the last mile.

Not much, I ran to my current ability. Last year in the Sprint I ran 7:20 pace so 7:28 seems reasonable.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a pepsi and a banana. Walked over to my transition spot thinking I had packed my chocolate milk but realized I left it at home. Saw Brandon and chit-chatted for a while. He had a good race, much improved from last year.

Eric had a mechanical failure on the bike and barely missed the cut-off time, bummer. But the Pink bike made a showing. I had to wait around for a while because my daughter was at the last aid station. Eventually the truck loaded with tables and trash bags shows up with her on board.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just overall fitness. I still don't have the training volume and intensity required to win a race so 9th overall is quite alright.

Event comments:

The nice thing about this race is that it's multiple lap course. Spectators can see the racers many times during the event. The course is simple so there's little chance of making wrong turns on the course.

My daughter really enjoyed volunteering and asked when the next race was :)

Last updated: 2011-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:49 | 1640 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 11/80
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Shorts, Comp Top
Course: Trapezoidal, two laps with run on beach in between.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:29 | 20.84 miles | 22.95 mile/hr
Overall: 8/80
Wind: Little
Course: Four laps around lake. No real ascents or descents to speak of, peddling the whole way. One dip in the road where you have to go up a very short hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:52 | 05.21 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 18/80
Course: One lap around lake, same as bike course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-28 8:02 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed