General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events, Inc
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 1s
Overall Rank = 1754/1879
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 175/190
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with a friend in Grant Park so waking up at 3AM and meeting our training group near transition was easy. Ate my usual half bagel w/ fried egg, a sip of coffee and a donut hole. Got a sweet spot on the rack in transition right by bike in/out, very easy to find. Walked my transition routes once to make sure I knew where I was, then headed down to swim start. My team (Team to End AIDS) had a sweet tent at swim start, but I only spent a few minutes chilling before hitting the porta potties and pulling on the wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Not much- 5 minute bike ride up to transition? No swim warm-ups which would've been helpful for me...
Swim
  • 39m 30s
  • 820 yards
  • 04m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I do not do well in wavy water. This swim was really bipolar- it started off with large chops, I mean I was bouncing all over the place, but then settled into small managable chop for the last 1/4 mile. I was struggling so much the first half, I was embarrassing myself (and it takes a lot for me to get embarrassed) and doing a lot of side stroke and belching up water I kept swallowing. I FINALLY got back into a grove with the crawl about halfway through the course where the water magically calmed down. I had very little interference from other people, probably because I stayed way out to the east side.

I should add that while my overall time was a LOT slower than I'd hopeed for, it did include the 1/4 mile hobble on asphalt back to T1, which probably took about 3-4 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Get more comfortable in crazy water. Also get more comfortable bilateral breathing again because it may have helped with the wave in the face situation.
Transition 1
  • 07m 1s
Comments:

My "eff it" attitude started here. I stopped at the porta potties halfway up the hill to my rack (did I mention my rack was at the top of a hill?) Pulled off my wetsuit over there and then jogged to my bike. I put one sock on upside down and then actually stopped to fix it, I mean who does that in T1. Anyway, I was just taking my time to calm down after that swim.

Not care about my socks? The porta potty visit is inevitable so I'm just going to live with that.
Bike
  • 59m 45s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 13.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really trying on the bike but the headwinds were clearly pretty bad (but I don't know just HOW bad, I don't have any computers on my bike). It was also a crowded course, lots of blockers and d-bags passing on both sides. I almost got sideswiped by a moron passing my on the left while I was passing someong on the right. RAGE. My left arm also went numb which was fun.

We all know I'd like a road bike instead of my franken-MTB.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I will continue to rock the T2 as long as I don't have to change my shoes. Also my rack was right next to bike in/bike out so I didn't have to run across town with the damn thing.
Run
  • 41m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Beautiful run course, the wind that made the swim and bike difficult was nice here. Really appreciated the Team to End AIDS aid station where everyone went crazy when I ran through! I did get a side stitch but it wasn't bad enough to make me walk, just enough to keep me at a below-average "run" pace.

Wish there were mile markers for M2 and M3. I like to start picking up the pace during the last mile and then sprinting at the end but I honestly had no idea where the finish line was until I saw it, and it was hard to make any gains at that point obviously.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a banana and water and then crashed at the team tent. Waited in line for an absurd amount of time for a stretch from Athletico (at least I got to chat with a lot of interesting people.) Did some foam rolling too, of course. Also hit up the picnic for a hamburger and watermelon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a weak swimmer. This was my slowest race of the year, and even though only the swim was overwhelmingly bad, everything else was just slow enough to add up to a really embarrassing total time. I'm only being hard on myself because I know I CAN do better, even though I know I was trying the whole time. If that makes any sense.

Event comments:

Even though the size of this race had me nervous, I only really noticed it on the bike. It was really fun doing a BIG race for once, but I still might prefer the smaller ones.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:30 | 820 yards | 04m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/190
Overall: 0/1879
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction LJ
Course: Straight north along the wall in Monroe Harbor.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:45 | 13.67 miles | 13.73 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back on north Lake Shore Drive. Two inner lanes closed down just for the bikes. Beautiful ride with rolling hills (i.e. overpasses.)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:39 | 03.11 miles | 13m 23s  min/mile
Course: Out and back south through Gran Park/around Shedd Aquarium.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes