Ironman North America
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 07m 37s
Overall Rank = 574/2076
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 29/111
Pre-race routine:

Where Do I Start? Really I could start with last fall when I signed up for the Eagleman 1/2 Ironman to help my brother-in-law and friend train for IM Moo. Or with the decision in May to do the full Ironman this year by registering for a Community Slot. But I guess that would make for a long race report, so I will just start with Thursday, Sept. 8th when I left for Madison, Wisconsin. (But I must warn you, it is still going to be long).

I worked on Thursday until about 2:30pm. Then drove home to meet my husband, Nate, so he could drive me to the airport. I had packed all my race gear in a carry on in fear of having my baggage lost (which was a good idea after all, more on that later). After a quick good bye at the security gate I was off to my gate and ready to go. Flew to Cleveland, where I met my brother-in-law, Craig, and friend, Brad (the two who convinced me to do this race). They think I am neurotic for carrying on all my gear, but it gave me peace of mind. Got in to the hotel late and went to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Friday was a very busy day. Started with getting up at 6:30ish and out of bed at 7. At this point I forget what I had for breakfast. But we headed out from the hotel for Monana Terrace to go for a swim and check in for registration. The 30 minute swim made me realize that I was at the Ironman and made me a little nervous for what was to come in the next two days. The whole thing kind of hit me that this was it, the IRONMAN.

Registration went quick because, these Ironman people are organized. They walk you through everything. They weigh you, give you a wrist band, your numbers, your bags and send you off to prepare everything for Sunday. We walked around the expo for a bit, talking with our friends at the Timex booth. Picked up my bike and then to lunch. Back to the hotel to start packing bags for transition and special needs. Which wasn’t too bad, since I divided it all at home. Messed around with bike. Then we drove the course.

Now this was another point where reality sets in. The hills didn’t look bad, but they were endless as far as the number of them. (Definitely recommend anyone doing it in 2006 to drive the bike course). Made it back to Manona Terrace in time for the athletes dinner. The presentations where fabulous and all the athletes at varied levels of experience were all so inspiring. The best part was seeing the “does and don’ts” video put out by Paula Newby-Fraser and Paul Huddle because our friend Dave, from Timex, was in it. The athletes meeting went quick and relatively painless, except for the head Doctor who put a little scare in us. “Don’t come into my tent without being able to tell me the last time you peed or if you can’t get on the scale on your own two feet...” Home to hotel to meet up with sister, Amy, and Brad’s wife, Kristin, then right to bed for a good nights rest.

Saturday was a busy day and I must say I was very nervous and a little cranky in the am. More family came into town. Went to breakfast, grocery store and then took bike for a spin. Loaded cars and headed to Manona to drop off bikes and bags. Then went and spent time at the Timex tent talking with David Harju and Louis Alverez. Wow are they nice people. They had lots of great pointers about the course and watching heart rate. I was definitely the starry-eyed Iron-Virgin trying to soak up all I could from these amazing Ironman pros.

Finally my husband arrived into town. We then wondered the expo more and went to lunch. My mood slowly got better and I was able to relax. Back to the hotel to sit by the pool and pack special needs bags. We actually didn’t get to eat dinner until after 8pm but that was fine with me since I had such a large pasta lunch. We were in bed by 9:45....

Sunday morning, I awoke at around 4-4:30am. Ate a Luna bar, 2 bananas, 1 bottle gu2o and 1 bottle h2o. Then dressed and drove to race site. Arrived at Manona at 5:20am. Was separated from Brad and Craig due to my misunderstand of when and where we would meet (I would not see them again until much later in the day) . I went to bike and stood in long line for tire pumping, they waited for me. I filled water bottles and went to go find them. They were done waiting for me so they went to bikes and took care of things. I got body marked and then put on wetsuit. I started to cry standing there looking at all these amazing people around me and soaking in the moment. I was so happy and excited.

The walk down the helix to the swim start was great. as I got to the bottom I found my husband and Kristin. they had made great signs with pictures of our heads cut out so that we could find them. I got a great big kiss and handed off my clothes then got in line to enter the water. I wasn’t wearing the strap of my heart rate monitor for the swim but I was picking up someone elses heartrate, 116. Then I crossed the mat, and entered the water. As I swam out, and took it all in they said that there were 2094 swimmers in the water. I started to cry again.

Event warmup:

No real warm up other then treading water for 10 mins
Swim
  • 1h 17m 5s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was a little hectic and it stayed that way for all of the first lap and some of the second lap. I started on the outside right side about 10 people deep. I could not start bilateral breathing until I got on the second lap and had a little separtion. But then as people converged on th turn it got crowded again. I swallowed a good amount of water during the swim but didn’t feel like it affected me too much. I tried to keep a nice comfortable pace and never felt too bad. As I got to the final turn, I started to think about the transition and what I needed to do. I stood up, remove goggles, looked at the clock and was amazed.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I was right on my pace and felt comfortable. Maybe not drink so much water. Although it never really bothered me.
Transition 1
  • 09m 54s
Comments:

As I crossed the mat I saw my mom and sister right there next to the announcer. It was awesome. I then pull wetsuit down below hip and dropped to the ground at the wetsuit strippers. Stood up and ran up the helix. Which was awesome (note: word for the day). Nate and Kristin were on the helix and cheering me on. Into the ballroom, grabbed bag and went to changing room. The volunteers were awesome. They went through the bag and asked what I needed and helped with everything. They brought over water and gatorade. I ate a gu and drank some water. Then ran out to sunblock people, also awesome, and then to my bike. I had a long run down the transition to the mount line. Mounted and was on my way down the helix.

nothing. I took my time and enjoyed the moment.
Bike
  • 6h 46m 28s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.53 mile/hr
Comments:

When I mounted the bike, I was so excited to get moving out of town. The weather was still nice, with a good temp and not to windy. But that would all change by the second half of the bike. I set my watch to beap every 30 mins to eat a gu. I drank 1 bottle gu2o, 1 bottle h2o per hour and took 2 endurolytes per hour. The first loop went smoothly other then the fact that I could not get my heart rate down. In the 160s-170s spiking on the bigger climbs. But didn't feel bad. Made it through the first loop and decided to stop at special needs check bag and see if I wanted anything then continue on. Took extra tube and co2. Took second bottle of concentrated gu2o and extra gus. Decided second lap to try to get hr down so no longer pedaled on the down hill. Which worked. Got it down to the high 140s and low 150s. Stayed on track with nutrition and drinking. Made myself stop at the stop after Mt Horeb to pee.

Here is something that helped me (warning this may sound crazy/corny but it hleped): I ziptied a small stuffed dog, the same as my avatar, onto my bars. My son, Maddux, is a large 100+ lbs black lab who has always gone for short runs with me. He always wants to sprint up hills, so I always tell him to pull mommy up the hill and he does. So this little stuffed dog pulled me up some of those hills and made my day to loop at him.

not much with the heat.

I actually got compliments by a couple of men on my climbing skills. which really made my day.
Transition 2
  • 04m 48s
Comments:

The volunteers were waiting at the dismount line to take our bikes. After dismounting, ran into ballroom, grabbed bag and into changing room. Took off helmet, glasses, bike shoes and socks and put on new sock, running shoes, hat and took gus and water bottle. Talked with volunteers for a moment and then out to sunscreen people. Then started the run with a smile feeling good.

nothing, I took my time for not having changed clothes. i even stopped to Kiss Maddux good bye before I handed the bike over.
Run
  • 4h 49m 23s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the best part. i felt great and let it show. My plan before getting to madison and the weather being in the 90s was to try to run for 10k then stop and walk then repeat. but with the weather, I decide to run each mile, walk the water stops and drink one full cup gatorade/h2o mix. This worked for the first half wonderfully. I was able to run all the hills and felt great. Took 2 endurolytes per hour and got to the special needs feeling good. Took 2 sips of a defizzed coke from my special needs, ate 2 jelly beans and was on my way. Because I ran all the hills/inclines on the first loop I told my self I could walk them if I wanted on the second. This worked great, was able to run between water stops and 1/3 to 1/2 the hills. Only slowed down 9 mins the second half. But that might be to the 2 long bathroom breaks, lines were long. But really felt great and had a smile on my face the entire time or most of it.

Coming down that last stretch was amazing seeing the capital all lit up and hearing the announcer and the crowd. I was so proud to be a part of this great group of people who had become my friends through out the day. I crossed the finish line and was never happier.

not much with the heat. I never looked at my watch so if I had maybe I would have known that I was that close to breaking 13 hrs. I might have tried to push it, but then who knows if the race would have ended this well.
Post race
Warm down:

continued to walk around for 1/2 hr to 1 hr and then got a massage. which was awesome.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the weather and limited times to train.

With the high DNF rate (19.5%) and slow winning finish time (9:01.34 M and 10:11.22), I was just proud to finish let alone break my 13:40 personal goal. I did it by racing within myself, watching my heart rate and never checking my times. I stayed on course with nutrition and hydration and kept a smile on my face. Until the finish line where once again I started to cry for the last time that day, or atleast I though until seeing my friends and family cross the line.

Event comments:

This was an awesome race. The volunteers, sponsors and race directors really know what they are doing. The amount of spectators are amazing and wonderful, cheering for everyone.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:05 | 4224 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 53/111
Overall: 1072/2076
Performance: Good
Suit: ironman instinct farmerjohn
Course: 2 times around a long rectangle with short ends.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 09:54
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:46:28 | 112 miles | 16.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/111
Overall: 965/2076
Wind: Headwind
Course: It was a 14 mile segment out to the loop that was relatively flat with one nice down hill. Then 2 times around the 44 mile loop with about 40 hills on each loop. Now these are rolling hills of no more then 350 feet climb over no more then 1/2 a mile. There were about 4 climbs that were classified as challenges. then after the 2 loops you went back the 14 mile segment to Manona Terrace and up the helix to the dismount line.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:49:23 | 26.2 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/111
Overall: 404/2076
Course: It was a two time out and back. We ran around the UM stadium field twice. on some really nice shaded trails and through some down town areas. There were 2 challenging hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %5%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-13 8:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2005-09-13 8:44 PM
in reply to: #246385

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Awesome job, Heidi! It was truly amazing and inspirational to watch you three on Sunday! Glad I had the opportunity to be a part of it!

Congrats again, Ironman!!!
2005-09-13 8:52 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Awesome! Great race report too, I got chills. I am so glad you got to be with maddux (and no it doesn;t sound corny it sounds sweet!)
2005-09-13 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Way to go!  Great race report.  Just when I think "could I ever do an IM?" I read a race report like yours and get inspired again!  Thanks and congrats!
kris
2005-09-13 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Hiedi,
Congratulations on a great accomplishment. I really enjoyed reading your RR.

Mark
2005-09-13 9:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats Ironman!!

I enjoyed checking all day on your progress. It was exciting to have a BT women doing IM and doing it well!

It is so motivating to read your race report...you executed your plan so well and enjoyed yourself as you accomplished this amazing achievement.

As one who hopes one day to do an IM thanks for sharing, inspiring and motivating me!!

2005-09-13 10:57 PM

Champion
Great job Heidi...congrats on becoming an Ironman (Woman). It was great fun following you all day. I almost missed you coming across the line, but my wife was at the computer...she yelled and I dashed in at the last second to see you with your hands raised! So cool. We were both yelling like crazy, just like we would be if we were there at the race!

2005-09-13 11:09 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
You ROCK! Ironman!!  What an interesting Pre Race.
2005-09-14 1:16 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!

What a great race you had.  Way to beat the heat and get through it.

Congratulations.

2005-09-14 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Heidi,
    Congratulations on becoming and Ironman!!!!  Great race report, I love the part about your co-pilot on the bike.    I think that is a great idea!! 

Congrates again, and thanks for the great race report.

Adios
Dave

2005-09-14 9:08 AM

Pro
Andover
Congratulations again, Heidi!

What a fantastic report and thanks for posting the pics as well.

We all knew, from looking at your splits, that you had a good day out there but it sounds like it really went well for you. That is just AWESOME!

Well done, IRONMAN!

2005-09-14 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Awesome report.  Awesome race!  Congrats!!!
2005-09-14 9:17 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congratulations on becoming in IRONMAN   What an accomplishment  And you did amazing in your age group to boot   I love the thing about the stuffed dog   My first Oly I had a picture of my cat on my handle bars

Edited by sue7013 2005-09-14 9:20 AM
2005-09-14 9:53 AM

Veteran
NYC
you are amazing. Congratulations!!!!
2005-09-14 10:15 AM

User image

Regular
West Hartford
So three idiots decide to do an IM... one's Johnny Optimistic, one's Johnny Pessimistic, and then there's Heidi the "Neurotic". A perfect end is three finishers!!!! Great race. You looking like that run picture all 3 times I saw you that day. In Lake Placid you can cut down on the peppermints to 5 per special needs bag. Great race and thanks for joining in... It wouldn't have felt right with you or Weds on the sideline or not finishing. Go US!
2005-09-14 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California
Impressive...You ran a smart race in unreal conditions.  Congratulations on a terrific performance!!

2005-09-14 8:39 PM

User image

Regular
Lone Tree, CO
What a great race report.  Congratulations on a strong finish - especially in the heat!  You did an awesome job and it looks like you really enjoyed it.  Did you sign up for next year???
2005-09-15 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Thank you all for being part of the great adventure. It really was an amazing race and the Ironman people know how to do it right. I am feeling well, a little tired but otherwise no real aches or pains. My luggage that was lost on the way home from Madison was finally delivered during the middle of the night on Wed.

I have registered for IM USA next year and plan on starting a 30 week training plan at the end of December. until then I will be relaxing, recovering and then slowly rebuilding a base. the best part is that in less then 8 weeks Taco, Weds, myself and our significant others are all going to Mexico for a well deserved vacation.

The BT crew really is a wonderful group of friends who helped and motivated me during this wonderful journey. Thank you all again!
2005-09-15 8:11 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

SWAAOOEEETTT RACE report!  very cool, congrats on your IM 

2005-09-15 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Great Job and great report....
2005-09-15 9:02 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Wow your 100 m average is faster than I can do 100 straight. Congrats IRONMAN!

2005-09-15 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

You did amazing Heidi!! You were so well trained and with a wonderful attitude these past months- I am thrilled for you that pulled it off so well.

I love that instead of thinking "If I pushed harder I would have finished under 13 hrs" (lol- that sentence alone sounds insane to me! ) you simply realized that following your plan meant you DID finish so well ...13:07 - that IS awesome!

And the details in your RR are great - alot of fun and very inspiring to read. You are an IRONWOMAN !!

2005-09-15 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
incredible job heidi! you are crazy, but obviously it pays off. you know i had my doubts about me and doubts about craig after his accident, but never once did i envision you not finishing. awesome job and you never know, i may get a chance to chase you down at placid...
2005-09-15 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
oops. double post.

Edited by weds19 2005-09-15 8:24 PM
2005-09-15 10:46 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
Congatulations on a great race!! Sounds like you had a great time which is what it's all about!!! Good job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  

of 2