World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 06m 8s
Overall Rank = 641/2439
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 109/350
Pre-race routine:

This was my first IM and only my 6th tri overall so I really wanted to take it in and enjoy it. My wife and kids decided to stay home since school for the 4 kids started two days after the race. So my parents stepped up and volunteered to take me. We arrived in Louisville Thursday just before check in. Going through check in is when it really hit me that it was going to happen. Friday was spent driving the bike course and going for a short ride. Saturday was basically just the practice swim, equipment drop off and dinner. I got just about 3 hours of sleep before the race due to my nerves being in over drive.
Event warmup:

The warm up consisted of the walk from the transition to the swim start. I did manage to eat a PB&J bagel along with a banana and two bottles of water.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 47s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I managed to be pretty far up in the line so I was in the water about 12 minutes after the official start. I jumped in and started swimming right away. No issues with my goggle leaking or fogging. I felt pretty strong for the entire swim and just focused on getting from one marker bouy to the next. Before I knew it I was around the turn and heading downstream.

I also didn't have any panic issues in the water this time. I usually do in open water. Made to the swim exit about 13 minutes faster then my anticipated time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - Good swim
Transition 1
  • 08m 17s
Comments:

T1 I took my time to make sure that I didn't forget anything. I also swam without my top on so that took a few extra seconds to put on. A quick porta john stop on the way to the bike.

Nothing
Bike
  • 5h 53m 51s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really strong on the bike. For more then the first half I was really just cruising along and enjoying myself. Mile 80 it started to get a bit more difficult and I started to have the feeling that I may have overcooked my legs. From about mile 50 on I didn't want anything solid to eat so I kept up the water and perform. Maybe over did it a bit as I was starting to feel a bit sloshy. Backed off on the liquids and felt much better. I did manage to avoid a huge wreck at the aid station on the out and back. Two guys bumped at the bottle grab and swerved onto my side of the road. They got run into at about 18 mph by the three people directly in froint of me. Me and the guy next to me just got stopped when he was hit from behind. I sped back up and got out of the way before I got hit.

The last 15 or so miles my feet were killing me. Hot spots in the arches and toes on fire from being crammed in the shoes. I eased up the last 10 miles to give my legs a break.

Worked on sticking to my nutrition plan a bit better.
Transition 2
  • 07m 20s
Comments:

Same as T1. Took my time putting on socks and getting re sun screened. One more porta john stop too.

Nothing
Run
  • 4h 38m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started out great. Feet felt good as soon as I got the bike shoes off and the running shoes one. I bit of pain in the outside of the right foot. That went away about 3 miles into the run. I managed to run the first 8 -10 miles at about a 9:45 pace and went slowly downhill from there. The bike ride really took more out of my legs then I thought. I still wasn't able to eat anything and stuck to coke, water and perform on the course. Tried a cookie but it wasn't happening. Most of the second half of the run I just kept thinking " Don't stop, just keep moving forward". I would walk about a minute or so every mile and then slowly run as fast as I could. I did walk about a mile from 20 - 21 and 24 - 25. I managed to run the entire last 1.2 miles and have never been so happy to see a finish line. I just about burst into tears when I heard Mike Reilly " Peter Buss, from Somerset, Pennsylvania - You are an IRONMAN. I can't describe the feeling off actually being done and having that medal hung around my neck.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race my parents found me at the finish line and all I wanted To do was sit down. Found a chair and just sat there for about 20 minutes sipping on a water. Everything hurt and my stomach was really starting to act up. Finally felt good enough to move so we headed for the car, transition to get my bike and gear, then back to the hotel. I just wasn't feeling like hanging out at the finish line. I kind of regret that now. Anyways after an hour or so I had my first guilt free McDonald's 1/4 pounder, fries and McFlurry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not following a good nutritional plan probably hurt me the most.

Event comments:

WTC did a great job with this race. Those that wonder if they should spend the money for an IM branded race I say absolutely yes. The race was well organized and the volunteers were awesome. I couldn't be happier with my experience.

Last updated: 2011-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:47 | 4224 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 109/350
Overall: 1235/2439
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Point to point on Ohio River with about 1600 yards upstream and the rest downstream
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:17
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:53:51 | 112 miles | 18.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 132/350
Overall: 703/2439
Wind: Some
Course: Rural country roads with one out and back section and a loop that was down twice. Rolling hills with approximately 3000 feet of total climbing
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 07:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:38:53 | 26.2 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 109/350
Overall: 641/2439
Performance:
Course: Mostly flat course with a double out and back loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-31 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Somerset, PA
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2011-09-01 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3668197

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Great job! Congratulations!
2011-09-06 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3668197

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Great race Peter! I am in envy of your bike split! You are an Ironman!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed