Chicago Half Marathon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 14s
Overall Rank = 1962/11878
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 58/782
Pre-race routine:

Chocolate frosted pop-tarts on the way to the race. Then sat in my car for an hour waiting on Ellen and her friends (frustrating!). High-tailed it to the race site, had 10 minutes to hit the porta-potties and find myself a spot in the corrals. Did NOT seed myself far enough forward. Not by a long shot.
Event warmup:

Sprint to and from porta-potties.
Run
  • 1h 51m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

My grandfather passed away earlier this morning, but I opted to do the race anyway. Made for an emotional run.

First 3 miles were spent weaving in and out of people, trying to find room to run. Hard to say whether this helped or hurt later on -- I had a lot of time to make up, but it *did* keep me from going out too fast, I suppose.

Around mile 6, I was finally on pace. Because this was supposed to be just a training run for the marathon, my game plan was to evaluate how things were going at this point and make a decision to continue running hard or not. Decided that I was feeling okay (meaning: nothing hurt too badly) and I would keep running hard as long as I could.

I knew I had no wiggle room; I had to keep pushing hard. There was no letting up if I wanted to get a PR. And I'll say, especially the last couple of miles, I WANTED to walk, wanted to ease up a little. But, I didn't give in.

The last two miles, I stopped looking at the time and trying to calculate splits. I kept an eye on my pace and just ran as hard as I could. Crossed the finish line, saw that I had PR'd by 19 seconds and burst into tears.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was pretty pleased with this, considering I didn't train for it (I've done absolutely no speed work) and wasn't tapered for it, either.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Walked back to my car... took the long way around since I got myself all discombobulated and went the wrong way... duh...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not specifically trained/tapered for half marathon.

Event comments:

This race as gotten better. They changed the course slightly, moved the start/finish line to a better location. Overall - well organized and nice. Perhaps my only complaint is that the first few miles are really congested. They either need fewer people or more time in between letting start corrals go.

Last updated: 2011-09-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:51:14 | 13.1 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 58/782
Overall: 1962/11878
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat, partially on the lakefront. New-to-me course, but much the same as before in terms of topography.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: Chicago Half Marathon

2011-09-12 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3681978

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Chicago Half Marathon
A very emotional run indeed, awesome job with it!!!  A PR is a PR.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Half Marathon Rss Feed