General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calories during Ironman Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-16 1:24 PM

User image

Subject: Calories during Ironman Training
How many calories should one be consuming during ironman training?  I am probably around 3000-3500 right now, but ive read I should have some more. Any help would be great.  Thanks.

2011-09-16 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3689698

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Calories during Ironman Training

Too many follow up questions to provide a generic answer. 

Your height/weight?
Your daily activity level (sedentary at desk, manual labor, etc.)?
Your workout volume for the day?
Your workout intensity for the day?
Your weight goals (loose, maintain, gain)? 
How you feel on XXXX calories vs. XXXX calories? 

Also it is going to vary from day to day. For example when you do a 2-hour run or 5-hour ride you'll need much more than your 2000yd swim day. 

2011-09-16 1:29 PM

User image

over a barrier
The amount of calories I take in during the day is a reflection of how many I plan on burning through training.

2011-09-16 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3689705

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

running2far - 2011-09-16 2:29 PM The amount of calories I take in during the day is a reflection of how many I plan on burning through training.

x2.  My caloric intake varies pretty drastically from day-to-day when I'm near peak training volume for a HIM or IM.

2011-09-16 4:32 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
A VO2 max test will give you a blueprint for managing your training and racing.  You can get target pacing numbers (heart rate and/or power) and caloric needs (including breakdown of carbs vs fat).  In my opinion, this test is a must for anyone doing IM (or HIM, really)  In shorter distances, you can get away with "close enough" but there is too much at stake in long course training and racing. 
2011-09-16 5:22 PM

Expert
Golden, CO
I lost 40 lbs during my 6 months of training this year..but I increased calories as my training increased. I really played it on how I felt. If I had a huge weekend of training I would eat more on friday and Saturday then I would on Sunday and Monday.   I did learn that if I did not fuel for a long workout I definitely felt it. 

2011-09-17 5:42 AM
in reply to: #3690010

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
japarker24 - 2011-09-16 5:32 PMA VO2 max test will give you a blueprint for managing your training and racing.  You can get target pacing numbers (heart rate and/or power) and caloric needs (including breakdown of carbs vs fat).  In my opinion, this test is a must for anyone doing IM (or HIM, really)  In shorter distances, you can get away with "close enough" but there is too much at stake in long course training and racing. 
How does a VO2 max test determine caloric needs and the amount of carbohydrates and fat that should be consumed?
2011-09-17 7:05 AM

User image

I think you are confused.  A VO2max test measures your aerobic capacity.  It measures how efficiently you can deliver oxygen to your working muscles.

And yes, I have done that test two times with my higher score being 61.

I know basics on how much i should eat based on my training volume, I was just looking for a ballpark of the amount of calories, because some things I read said I should be eating 5000 a day, which seems way to high.

2011-09-17 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3690053

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

jdbadger - 2011-09-16 4:22 PM I lost 40 lbs during my 6 months of training this year..but I increased calories as my training increased. I really played it on how I felt. If I had a huge weekend of training I would eat more on friday and Saturday then I would on Sunday and Monday.   I did learn that if I did not fuel for a long workout I definitely felt it. 

I have been doing it this way as well. Up until the the past few weeks I haven't really needed a lot of extra calories, but in peak training volume now and I'm needing quite a few more just so I don't feel like crap. 

2011-09-17 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I ate when I was hungry and stopped when I wasn't. I have no idea how many calories that was but, back when I was logging everything, I averaged about 2100 a day during peak training.

But (a) I'm a woman and (b) I'm very short.

Most guys eat more than me even the ones not training for Ironmans. Tongue out

2011-09-17 7:32 PM

User image

over a barrier
If you want an actual number. I ate about 2200 a day weighing 145-152 during training. The only day I ate 3K was the actual Ironman.

2011-09-17 8:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

How is your weight, energy, and general health doing?  Keep an eye on those instead of an exact calorie number, or even a range.  People come in too many sizes with different metabolisms.  It also depends on the amount of training they are doing at the time, volume and intensity.  It's not a static number either.

I'm eating more than what's listed, but have dropped a couple pounds and am still in very good all-around health.  I listen to my body, and eat what I think it's trying to tell me it needs.  I try to anticipate these needs as I learn how various activities affect it.  I don't take calories just to take calories.

2011-09-20 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3690338

User image

Elite
N Carolina
kbizz03 - 2011-09-17 8:05 AM

I think you are confused.  A VO2max test measures your aerobic capacity.  It measures how efficiently you can deliver oxygen to your working muscles.

And yes, I have done that test two times with my higher score being 61.

I know basics on how much i should eat based on my training volume, I was just looking for a ballpark of the amount of calories, because some things I read said I should be eating 5000 a day, which seems way to high.

Do you know what that 61 means?

2011-09-20 4:18 PM

User image

Pro

That's alot of thinking. 

When I'm hitting it good I can eat whenever I want.  I concern myself more with WHAT I eat rather then how much, and that takes very little thinking once you change your eating habits.  If I'm hungry I eat, if I'm not I don't.  I don't eat processed foods of any kind.  I eat fish, chicken, lean beef, fruits, vegetables, nuts, brown rice (rocket fuel), and beans.  I have no idea how many calories I take in.  I train so I don't have to worry about calories.

Oh yeah, and beer.  I love some ice cold beer after working out.

Edited by Left Brain 2011-09-20 4:31 PM
2011-09-21 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3690306

User image

Elite
N Carolina

TriMyBest - 2011-09-17 6:42 AM
japarker24 - 2011-09-16 5:32 PMA VO2 max test will give you a blueprint for managing your training and racing.  You can get target pacing numbers (heart rate and/or power) and caloric needs (including breakdown of carbs vs fat).  In my opinion, this test is a must for anyone doing IM (or HIM, really)  In shorter distances, you can get away with "close enough" but there is too much at stake in long course training and racing. 
How does a VO2 max test determine caloric needs and the amount of carbohydrates and fat that should be consumed?

I'll explain this to the best of my ability, but first, two disclaimers:

1. When I posted this, I didn't realize the OP was asking about total calories per day.  I thought the OP was talking about something along the lines of "how many calories per hour should I consume on my long bike rides/runs"

2. I'll go ahead and apologize for this post being so long.

How does a VO2 max help you determine a target caloric intake?  Well, first, you must know that there is a direct relationship between oxygen consumption (VO2) and calories burned.  Click this link to read more:

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/10/fat-burners-and-sugar-burners.html

The results of my VO2 max test said that my peak VO2 was 46.8.  For males 30 years old to 39 years old (I'm 38), this is "Excellent" fitness as determined by the range of 45.0-49.4.  Anything 49.5 or greater would put my fitness level at "Superior", so I do have some work to do!Cool

Anyway, in my opinion, the 46.8 number is the least valuable information I gained from the test.  More important was my aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold:

Aerobic threshold was determined to be 141 bpm heart rate which translates to 856 calories per hour (VO2 of 37.4).

Anaerobic threshold was determined to be 151 bpm and 935 calories per hour (VO2 of 41.6)

Peak VO2 was again 46.8 measured at heart rate of 165 bpm and indicates 1115 calories consumed per hour.

How is this helpful in training and racing?  Well in long course racing (HIM & IM) then I know I need to stay at or below my aerobic threshold.  So, lets say I pick a target heart rate of 140.  I know from the VO2 max test that my RER (or RQ) at 140 bpm is .93.  So from Joe Friel's blog, an RQ of .93 means 77.4 % carb consumption and 22.6 % fat consumption.  From the VO2 test I know that exercing at 140 bpm heart rate that I consume (for ease of math) around 800 calories; 77.4% or around 600 of these calories must come from carbs (sports drink, gels, etc).

This information was SO valuable to me in training for IM Louisville.  I lost count of how many times I bonked on my long training days.  This was because I was following the label directions on the nutrition products I was using, but not knowing my specific requirements.  Although, I finished Louisville, I was disappointed in my time.  I know this was because I was undertrained (I cut too many long training days short because of bonking).  I can honestly say that I feel I would have posted a DNF at IM Louisville if I did not have the VO2 max test.  That is why I suggest this test any time a thread is started asking for advice for training help.

Sorry the post was so long, but I just wanted to try and explain this topic as best I could.

Alan

Edited by japarker24 2011-09-21 8:50 AM
2011-09-21 11:45 AM

User image

Thanks Alan for the great explanation.  And you are right I forgot about RER as it pertains to carbs vs fat.

61 was my max Vo2 during college, but I dont think I received and of the other info as it was only a preliminary test during a study in college.

2011-09-21 4:36 PM

User image

Regular
Here

Try this link to roughly estimate how many calories you are burning each day and add the normal daily recommended caloric intake.  Having said that, I personally don't count my calories. I just eat when I'm hungry. Keeping track of miles and minutes is hard enough.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm

2011-10-03 5:26 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I did around 1800 calories base + calories I needed during workouts that were more than 90 minutes. 
2011-10-04 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3694003

User image

Master
Left Brain - 2011-09-20 5:18 PM

That's alot of thinking. 

When I'm hitting it good I can eat whenever I want.  I concern myself more with WHAT I eat rather then how much, and that takes very little thinking once you change your eating habits.  If I'm hungry I eat, if I'm not I don't.  I don't eat processed foods of any kind.  I eat fish, chicken, lean beef, fruits, vegetables, nuts, brown rice (rocket fuel), and beans.  I have no idea how many calories I take in.  I train so I don't have to worry about calories.

Oh yeah, and beer.  I love some ice cold beer after working out.

This is very nearly what I was going to write, including the beer. 

DH and I logged our calories last off-season, but stopped doing it when IM training ramped up (it just took too much time).  For training, I just ate regular meals, but increased the portion sizes and added morning and afternoon snacks (nuts, veggies + hummus, oatmeal, fruit, etc) to my intake.  The key for me was to fuel adequately during my workouts (so that I did not finish them famished and hoover up a bunch of crap) and then eat sensibly the rest of the day.  By sensibly, I mean eat a regular meal and don't go overboard with the volume or the calorie-dense/nutrient-deficient treats and try to avoid junk (fried stuff, processed stuff, dessert).

2011-10-04 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I'm in the camp of eat whatever I want. As my build goes up so does my food consumption. One aspect I try to be very careful with is letting myself get too hungry. I'm one of those people who loses thier appetite after hard, long sessions. I pay close attention to how my body reacts performance and recovery wise to gauge my calorie intake. Since I am on the little side and struggle keeping weight on during heavy training periods, I also let the scale tell me if I need to eat more, regardless if I am hungry or not...and eating when your not hungry is not fun but sometimes neccesary.
2011-10-09 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3711024

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas

LittleCat - 2011-10-04 1:32 PM I'm in the camp of eat whatever I want. As my build goes up so does my food consumption. One aspect I try to be very careful with is letting myself get too hungry. I'm one of those people who loses thier appetite after hard, long sessions. I pay close attention to how my body reacts performance and recovery wise to gauge my calorie intake. Since I am on the little side and struggle keeping weight on during heavy training periods, I also let the scale tell me if I need to eat more, regardless if I am hungry or not...and eating when your not hungry is not fun but sometimes neccesary.

I'm basically this.  I'm male, 29 and weigh about 172lbs.   I try to eat 5-6x / day, which for me ends up being every couple hours.  Most of the time I'm eating fruit / veggies / nuts throughout the day with some type of protein mixed in as much as I can.   My intake varies by day, but I end up around 3k calories most days.  I've found that my weight is flat around 172 for the last ~8 weeks although I continue to get more slim.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calories during Ironman Training Rss Feed