General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Food during IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-22 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Subject: Food during IM
Will do my first full IM next year. I just want to finish and if so, under 13 hours would be great. I have seen that some people down about 3000 calories on race day. My question to anyone that is familiar with this is how do I do that knowing I'm not trying for the podium. I could stop at T1 and T2 and have a meal. Do some people, again not trying for podium, make PB&J's or other foods for the transitions or for during the bike and or run? Or am I destined to 3000 calories from Gu's? I will formaly begin training in November and would like to start working towards a plan for nutrition. Flew on Gu in my HIM's so I need some insight to this strategy. Thanks all.

2011-09-22 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3696624

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Food during IM
Nutrition is a personal thing.

For my IM, my goal was roughly 250 calories an hour on the bike. Then 100 calories an hour on the run, in the form of a gel.

I used liquid nutrition and solid food.

On the bike, I used the following:
Infinit (custom sports drink mix), 250 calories a serving. I put 4 servings/4 hours worth in a 22 oz bottle. I switched from Infinit to solids each hour. One sip every 15 minutes, with water.
Then I would switch to solid food the next hour. This was gels, sport chews, an Uncrustables, and Clif bar.

I made sure to have liquid my last hour.

Now, that was my plan and what I did in training. On race day my tummy wasn't feeling hot around mile 80 on the bike. So I backed off the solids and went for only Infinit. Even then I didn't take in what I had originally planned. But since I had extra servings at special needs, I had a backup plan in place and ready to go.

On the run, I only ate half the gels I had planned. Again, tummy wasn't feeling hot. I did drink some Coke at the aid stations.

Then when I was done, I couldn't really eat anything for another 15 hours, without wanting to vomit. I got some food in, but not much.

Edited by KSH 2011-09-22 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
I will be making a couple peanut butter bagels for the bike and taking them with me, not to mention doing cliff block shots and bananna. After the swim I'll down a sandwich and bannana. 3-4 hours later I'll down another sandwich.  Gels will be used during the run. I will use some type of sports drink on the bike as well. Aiming for 300 calories a hour

Edited by SEADOCHA 2011-09-22 1:12 PM

User image

Expert

I took in around 200 cal/hour for both the bike and the run which was around 1500 calories for the whole day.  that was enough for me.  I have mostly eload and shot blocks, but I did have a 100 calorie package of baked cheetos on the run (best idea ever ).  I had friends that swore by PB and J though.  They made them with wraps and froze them the night before to keep them cold.  I tried it and it didn't work for me. 

Basically you have 8+ months to figure out what works for you.  I didn't see anyone eating a meal in transition.

User image

Veteran

There are lots of options and lots of information in these boards.  Most people tend to shoot for 300-500 calories per hour on the bike. 

Bento box on bike with payday, PBJ, cliff bars, etc. Also keep some food in your special needs bag. 

The aid stations will have cut up bananas, powerbars, etc. 

Ironman Perform has a lot of calories as well and will be served at aid stations

I'm not sure if you were joking about the meals during transition, but I think there are many other options that are more efficient and better for your GI system. 

Best of luck

2011-09-22 1:20 PM

Master
, California

There are lots of options and lots of information in these boards.  Most people tend to shoot for 300-500 calories per hour on the bike.

I'd explode at 500/hr on the bike, but I guess it depends on your body weight.  200-250 for me.  A lot of people eat too much and wind up with stomach issues.

When you start doing long bike rides, eat what you're hungry for and keep track of what you ate (including sports drinks).  That'll give you a starting point on what works for you.

Edited by spudone 2011-09-22 1:21 PM

2011-09-22 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
This is excellent advice so far.thank you. I wasn't joking about eating in T1 or T2 as my time is not really the goal but I see your point with efficiency. What are special needs bags and how does that work? I saw this on the website but it didn't explain it very well. Where are they delivered? Food will stay fresh enough? I think I have a Billy goat stomach where solids won't bother me too much. I'll work them in with liquids by switching on the hours. At least I'll try this in my training. I used perpetuam in HIM and it worked well for me. Any other advice is welcome. Lake flipping Placid!
2011-09-22 2:25 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I also use Infinite Nutrition custom drink on the bike - mine is 250 calories per hour. I concentrate two, 3-hour bottles and supplement with a PayDay and sometimes Sports Beans for variety's sake.

I have volunteered in Ironman transition and seen people eating meals in there, so it's not unheard of. As long as it works for you and you've practiced it in similar situations/intensities.

I had a PB/honey sandwich in my T2 bag but when I got there it was the last thing I wanted to see. So sometimes, even stuff you've practiced doesn't sound good.

As for Special Needs bags, most races have you drop them off the morning of the race. They will transport them to roughly the halfway points on the bike and the run. You'll have an opportunity to stop and access them during the race. Some races do not return the bags so make sure there is nothing of value in there.

2011-09-22 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Okay, last question; that's twice where someone mentioned a PayDay. Is this the candy bar? If its not I'm embarrassed but I've never heard or seen of anything other.
2011-09-22 2:36 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
I ate a Nutella sandwich while out on the bike at IM Wisconsin this year and it was darn tasty.  I kept it in my bento and ate half at 30 and the other half at 70 miles.

FWIW-  I'm 5'10" 160 and take in about 250 cals/hr on the bike.  Keep in mind that how much you can take in is dependent on how hard you are going.  Ride to hard and they just sit in your belly and cause the GI melt down.

Edited by brown_dog_us 2011-09-22 2:37 PM
2011-09-22 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3696662

User image

Cincinnati, OH
spudone - 2011-09-22 2:20 PM

When you start doing long bike rides, eat what you're hungry for and keep track of what you ate (including sports drinks).  That'll give you a starting point on what works for you.

Lots of good advice for you so far, I particularly agree with this above.  You'll find over the months of training things that do and don't work well.  I ended up living off PB&J, gels and IM perform throughout the bike, then gels and perform on the run. 

And yes, a Payday is a candy bar with nuts, caramel, etc.  A lot of people like them because they're somewhat salty, and a change of flavor late in the race is usually a welcome thing.  Pretzels or chips would have the same effect.   

2011-09-22 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
Paydays are awesome! One thing I like about them is that I don't get tired of them. I get sick of the gels after about 4 of them (1 an hour). The other thing is that they don't tend to turn into a melted blob of sticky which my prior choice would do when it got hot. Also, they aren't too sweet - I find a lot of the engineered food to be too sweet for me.
2011-09-22 6:24 PM

User image

New user
Salisbury
My first practice ride alternating between a gel and a bar every 30 minutes for a hundred miles worked well for me, at the half way mark I ate a peanut butter whole grain bagle , and spread a honey stinger gel on it so it was like Peanut butter and honey.... keep taking calories in or you will pay on the run, I learned this the hard way on a HIM
2011-09-22 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3696804

User image

Expert

Major BC - 2011-09-22 3:29 PM Okay, last question; that's twice where someone mentioned a PayDay. Is this the candy bar? If its not I'm embarrassed but I've never heard or seen of anything other.

I assume by your name that you live in BC?  We don't have Payday in Canada.  I got one this summer when I was in vegas because of all the talk on the boards here.  I haven't seen anything like this in Canada.  It was okay, but my opinion is it didn't hold up well in the heat.

2011-09-22 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3697148

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Daffodil - 2011-09-22 7:51 PM

Major BC - 2011-09-22 3:29 PM Okay, last question; that's twice where someone mentioned a PayDay. Is this the candy bar? If its not I'm embarrassed but I've never heard or seen of anything other.

I assume by your name that you live in BC?  We don't have Payday in Canada.  I got one this summer when I was in vegas because of all the talk on the boards here.  I haven't seen anything like this in Canada.  It was okay, but my opinion is it didn't hold up well in the heat.

Interesting, that is actually the reason I use them is because they hold up well in the heat (and are absolutely delicious of course)! They don't have chocolate so don't melt, and don't get 'squishy' like Skittles. Maybe a TINY bit soft, but that's it - and I've carried them in 100+ degree rides...

2011-09-22 9:15 PM

User image

over a barrier
I've done 3 Ironman races and have never taken in food during the race. The only food I take, is my breakfast and the pizza post race.

Infinit all day, although my run blend is a bitt different featuring no protein and a different flavor.

I prefer liquid calories as they leave my stomach faster

2011-09-23 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3697215

User image

Expert
lisac957 - 2011-09-22 10:07 PM
Daffodil - 2011-09-22 7:51 PM

Interesting, that is actually the reason I use them is because they hold up well in the heat (and are absolutely delicious of course)! They don't have chocolate so don't melt, and don't get 'squishy' like Skittles. Maybe a TINY bit soft, but that's it - and I've carried them in 100+ degree rides...

Maybe it is becaues I was in Las Vegas.  It became a bunch of gooey peanuts and didn't really keeps it's bar form?

2011-09-23 8:01 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
I'm going to mention EFS Liquid Shot as an option you should consider.  It is basically a gel, but it has lots more electrolytes than Hammer products. 
2011-09-24 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Haven't done an IM yet, but I have found PB/honey sandwiches to be darn near magical for me. I bring two on 100 mile rides and eat them a quarter at a time. I take a gel every 30 minutes, then starting at hour 2- 00:30 Gel. 00:45 quarter sandwich 1:00 gel, repeat. When I drink water I generally take a tiny sip of perform then water.  When I get to around 85 miles I stop using gels and take more perform instead. For runs I shoot for lots of water and perform and a gel every hour. If it works on race day like it has been in training, I will not have any GI issues at all.

2011-09-24 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3698730

User image

Master

I recommend that you scroll down to read the liquid nutrition thread also, but your nutrition is very subjective depending on you, your taste, the temperature and how hard you are working.

At IMWI this year, I took in approx 200 calories per hour on the bike (GU Electrolyte Brew, GUs, peanut butter, bananas and Perform) and approx or less than 100 calories every 3-4 miles (GU, failed attempts at pretzels and chicken broth) on the run. 

I find that at a higher intensity/heat/more food, my GI shuts down, which is bad.  Then, when it starts back up because I'm walking, it's the dreaded tour of the porto-potties.   

2011-09-26 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3696804

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Its basically carmel covered in peanuts,  YES a candy bar.  Tasty and doesn't melt.  I too shoot for 250 calories an hour on the bike and use a combo of sports drink and usually licorace and soemtimes gels.  I take bananas on the IM course on the bike and whatever strikes my fancy on the run.  I'm not a big gel fan.  I have an iron stomach and could eat a pizza durign the race and I would be fine.  Key is to meet your fluid and calorie needs with something your body will tolerate and is palatable to you.

2011-09-27 10:59 AM

I only took gels during my IM - i took no solid foods as they are risky. One CNP gel every 45mins during the bike and every 30mins during the run. Mix this with infinit energy drinks and I was sorted all race. I also put in a caffiene gel every 3 gels jsut to give me an extra boost from time to time, they really work if used at the correct times like for a massive hill.

thanks, nick

2011-09-27 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

Major BC - 2011-09-22 12:04 PM I wasn't joking about eating in T1 or T2 as my time is not really the goal but I see your point with efficiency. What are special needs bags and how does that work?  

It's not just about efficiency. It's that you won't be able to digest a meal. It would be like eating lunch and then going out for a 100 mile bike ride immediately after with your stomach still full. Instead, you need to dribble in your calories over time at a rate your body can handle. (Which you determine in training.)

Special needs is a stop on the bike and the run usually around the halfway mark.  You drop your bags off in the morning when you go to get body marked and the race personnel ship them out to the special needs station. You can put anything you want in your bag but you should be aware that these bags often sit out in the sun all day while you are racing.

I generally freeze any nutrition I put in my special needs bag so it's okay when I finally show up to claim it. I usually put in some more of whatever my nutrition is for that race (in case I run out or can't carry everything I need for the whole leg on me) and then some sort of treat.

The treat is a mental thing, something to look forward to while I'm working my way there. I've used Snickers, which work well if it's not too hot, and M+Ms which work better. Some people go for the salty. Pringles are good for that because they stack up nicely and you just grab a stack and shove it in your mouth. Another popular choice is the mini-meal such as half a PB&J sandwich.

I've tried all these in training (well, except the Pringles, I know myself enough to know that would gag me) and discovered that I do better with the candy treat than with the mini-meal.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Food during IM Rss Feed