General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
The Red Rock Company, Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 18s
Overall Rank = 214/489
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 39/69
Pre-race routine:

Rough Saturday night - watched the Arizona State game ad just could not turn it off (they beat USC). Daughter was at Homecoming Dance and sone worked late so we were not sleeping sound until 1am. Woke up at 3am and figured it was well time to get out of bed. Had a PB, Nutella and honey wheat bagel with G2 and watched a replay of the Ironman 70.3 Championships on DVR. Loaded the car and headed out alone - family way too tired from the previous night. Met up with Steve Pilon, Jim Pencek, Eric Wise and Augie Avila and hung out in transition. Moved my bike to a better spot and laid out my gear. Did the normal routine (body marking, chip pick up, etc) and walked around a bit.
Event warmup:

No wetsuits allowed this race so I got in the water about 15 minutes before my wave to swim around and relax.
Swim
  • 36m 6s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was slower and seemed longer than normal. I think this was due to the lack of a wetsuit and buoyancy. A bit of chaos early and at the big turn, but found a lane and stayed relatively clear most of the way. Breathing was fine and my stroke seemed ok, but I did notice my right arm cutting inside and losing some pull a bit more than I am used to. My left foot cramped up a few times and got pretty painful the last 50 meters. No stopping, just tried to adjust for it and keep moving forward.
What would you do differently?:

My lines were off and I went back and forth a few times. I had a habit of fading right and had to course correct several times. Nothing else to do other than get better in the water, as always.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I almost decided to clip in and slip into my shoes once on the bike. However, the old adage "do not try something new on race day" made me think twice, and since my bike was towards bike out, I got into my shoes and ran with them on. T1 was much better for me this time around. I got into my shoes and helmet quickly and was on my way.

Nothing other than run faster out of the water and into transition.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 16s
  • 24.64 miles
  • 21.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Road the bike well today, but probably too hard. I kept a strong cadence and avg speed and made a number of passes (of course I was passed quite a bit as well). I noticed my HR monitor reading very high, but there was nothing I could do about it in the middle of the race so I pedaled on. Came in about where I had hoped to come in, which was faster than the last race on this course by about 2 minutes.

I suppose pull back a bit and keep my HR lower to save my energy for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

A strong T2 for me today. I got into the racks and racked up quick and got my running shoes and visor on and was out in no time at all.

Nothing, this was about as good as it gets for me.
Run
  • 58m 4s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Another frustrating run. I expected 8-8:30 minute mile avg and could not even hold to 9 minute avg. My legs felt tired at the start and my knees cramped up a couple of times during the run. I walked only through the water stations, but my pace was horribly slow. I believe this had to be due to my bike pace. I am not a strong cyclist, and push too hard to keep up with the pack, so I need to get over myself and run my own race. I can easily make up that time on the run if I would just wise up.

Slow down on the bike, be stronger for the run, and GO.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out at the finish line with the team and had water and Ironman Perform.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably the bike - going too hard on the ride. I have to attribute it to that, as in my earlier races when I had no confidence in my bike, I just rode, then took off on the run. Have to get back to that attitude and habit.

Event comments:

Red Rock always puts on a good event.

Last updated: 2011-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:06 | 1500 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 49/69
Overall: 0/489
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Rectangular out and back along Tempe Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:16 | 24.64 miles | 21.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/69
Performance: Good
My HR monitor must have been acting up. Its stats are a low of 157BPM, avg of 172BPM, and high of 199BPM. Honestly I did not think I was pressing that hard on the bike so I cannot imagine my HR being that high. However, it would explain my failure on the run (read below).
Wind: None
Course: Winding course with several U turns, 2 loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:04 | 06.2 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/69
Performance: Below average
Watch shows 162 low, 178 avg and 203 max. That cannot be right, but if it is, HOLY CRAP. That would explain why I was so shot on the run and could not run at my normal pace. I thought I was prepared to get over that, but apparently not.
Course: Two loop course around Tempe Town Lake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-25 10:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course

2011-09-26 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3699965

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: RE: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great job! Great time! Always enjoy your RRs, Ironman is comin'!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed