General Discussion Race Reports! » Battle of the Bridges Health First Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Battle of the Bridges Health First Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Melbourne, Florida
United States
Space Coast Triathletes
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 36s
Overall Rank = 6/234
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/24
Pre-race routine:

Had a bad night of sleep and wasn't feeling 100% the day before. Good thing I slept 9 hours Friday night and took a 1 hr nap on Sat. I got up a 5am, made the coffee and had 1/2 banana and a bagel with PB.
Event warmup:

None other than riding the TB 5 miles to the event.
Swim
  • 12m 14s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Could tell by the buoy setup that the course would be on the long side. Started out at a nice medium effort pace and had good sighting. A lot of the swimmers were off to the right and I stayed to the left taking a straight line to the 1st buoy which was out there. One guy was doing zig-zags and he hit my goggles when he crossed my path and I had to stop quick and readjust. After that I decided to increase my effort and actually passed a lot of swimmers after the 1st buoy which for me was amazing! Passed a number of racers running down the pier to the T1 mat.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, my best race OWS yet. Had good sighting and drafted off others when I could.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

52/234, decent T1, 8 sec slower than last year but that was with a great rack location vs this year.

Wish I had a video recording of it, not sure were I could improve, probably learn to keep the shoes on the bike but I always get mounted fast and get up to speed quick after mount line compared to others.
Bike
  • 40m 49s
  • 15.9 miles
  • 23.37 mile/hr
Comments:

With the light NNW wind the first 5.5 miles was all into a headwind so I made sure I pushed it on this stretch trying to maintain 22 or so. 3.5mi stretch across the Pineda Causeway had a crossing tailwind so I went hard but made sure not to burn out on the bridge climbs and tucked the descents once I reached max speed. On the flat 5 mile return I used the crossing tailwind to push 24-25 mph all the way, surprised that the HR was low and RPE in a nice zone. The 1.9 miles across the EG Causeway had a crossing headwind and I could tell the winds increased. I stayed low and made sure not to kill my legs on the last bridge climb 1 mile out. At the top of the bridge I took my feet out of the shoes and hammered down until I reached max spped then tucked until I reached the last corner. I pulled my right leg over coasted in and slowed speed as I approached the dismount line and did another perfect flying dismount running thru T2 mat to the rack.

I guess I could have gone a bit harder based on the HR average (160, LT=170) but I wanted to make sure I had enough legs for a good run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

4/234, excellent T2. Slipped on the shoes and took off running putting on the visor and race belt as I was running out of T2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 22m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

A surprising run. First pace check at my 1/4 mile reference had me at 7:40 which I was thrilled with as it didn't feel like it with the legs slowing coming around. First bridge climb started at 0.7 mile mark and I worked it to maintain the pace on the climb. Had a runner up ahead that I was slowly catching so I used him as my focus. 1 mile mark was at the top and liked the fact I didn't lose any time climbing. Next mile was down the bridge to the turnaround and part way back. I used the descent and crossing tail wind to push the pace which was a very surprising time. 3rd mile had the bridge climb and descent back and a very small but cruel climb just before the 3rd mi marker. Pushed it as hard as I could from there to the finish.

Nothing, legs came to me when the should and was able to push a good pace the whole way.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Found the family and my wife was beaming saying I smoked it and I was the 9th or 10 across the line. I couldn't wait for the results to start be posted so walked around a bit talking to a few racers and got something to eat and drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming as always, I could easily gain 1-2 minutes there.

Event comments:

First podium with a 1st place AG and 6th overall!

Love this race site with the bridges on the bike and run. Post race events/awards were lame this year, definitely not the same vib as past years.

Last updated: 2011-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:14 | 440 yards | 02m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/24
Overall: 102/234
Performance: Good
Watch time to the pier stairs was 11:29, 0:45 run down pier to T1 mat
Suit:
Course: Out and back angular setup to the EG pier
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:49 | 15.9 miles | 23.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 5/234
Wind: Some
Course: Rectangular with 3 bridges on the Pineda Causeway and 1 on the EG Causeway.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:46 | 03.11 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/24
Overall: 14/234
Mile 1 7:38, Mile 2 7:05, Mile 3 7:20, 0.11 0:44
Course: Out and back across the EC Causeway (bridge)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-03 12:11 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Battle of the Bridges Health First Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2011-10-03 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3709283

Veteran
Lost, Florida
Subject: RE: Battle of the Bridges Health First Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great Job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Battle of the Bridges Health First Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed