General Discussion Race Reports! » Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carpinteria, California
United States
Carpinteria Triathlon
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 201/282
Age Group = 44-49
Age Group Rank = 24/29
Pre-race routine:

Picked up packet day before and checked out Transition area Ins and Outs and my rack. Packed my bag the night before. Created checklist and had everything checked off except for drinks so I didn't forget them in fridge. Got up at 3:30 and at some pasta, since I have felt really good during training on pasta days. Grabbed a coffee and left house at 5 and drove the hour to the race. No problems setting up Transition stable and had about an hour before Waves started. Just kind of walked around for a bit having handled all major bodily issues at home.
I like to get to race early. . Set up
Event warmup:

Got into wetsuit and went down to water about 15 minutes before start and 25 minutes before my wave. Swam ez for a bit just to get wet and test goggles then came out to start as First wave was about to start
Swim
  • 30m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out in middle of wave. And got barreled over by everyone it seemed. Stayed with it pretty well. Got kicked in face, laughed. Was in a good state of mind. First buoy turn north and started to spread out some. Had good rhythm, sighting mostly off swimmers, then once in a while forward. Started passing people about 500m but just kept rhythm. Felt great after turnaround. Noticed I was passing people in Wave ahead of us (by color of swim caps) but they didn't look like they were having fun so not too full of myself. Yelled a hello on a breath to a cute lifeguard on her board just as I turned for home. Swam until I touched bottom with my hand but wave came in and it got deep real quick. Pushed forward then High-Kneed to sand and in to finish. Great experience
What would you do differently?:

I would probably start out to the side more. Keep swim cap on longer for picture. Going bald :(
Seriously though, not much different, I really stayed within myself, didn't try to do too much or get frazzled by contact and craziness of start. Very happy with swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

OK transition. Swam without a shirt so had to put one on. Decided not to go with windbreaker. Forgot race belt, didn't need sunglasses with the mist and overcast.

Wear Tri shirt during swim. I would put race belt on. Not wear sunglasses unless it is sunny. Maybe practice running jump on start with cleats in pedals.
Bike
  • 1h 39m 10s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Well I felt like my brakes were rubbing. That's how slow I felt, WAS. Then approaching first and toughest hill at 12 mile marker, bike would not go into small ring. started climb and kept trying to downshift, then click, click lock spin, dropped my chain. Got off and it was wedged in. Took me a bit to settle nerves, figure out what I was doing since this has never happened to me before and I know nothing about bikes. But I figured it out. Trouble getting any momentum to start because of steep incline where i stopped. Made it over. then a guy with a flat asked as I went by if I had a CO2 cartridge. I had an extra. After contemplating for a few spins, I turned back around and got one out of saddlebag for him. Can't take too much credit, probably wouldn't have stopped if chain hadn't already fallen off. But I felt good about it later. What the hell. Made it over hill 2 and easy ride from there. Got stopped by train which was fine because time is credited and got a little rest. Pulled up to dismount line, got off and ran to stall.

I need Garmin device to monitor effort on bike. HR Monitor doesn't do it for me. Training is in need of overhaul on bike. I would also get bike tuned before race. I knew chain was loose but am getting new bike so didn't want to put money into this one. I kept a pretty good attitude so I was happy with that. May try cleat-less dismount with practice I could do it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Remembered race belt but felt like i was forgetting something else so just stood there for i don't know how long. But long run to "Run Out" which was opposite of T1 so they even out for everyone, but I was kind of spaced out and definitely could have been faster.

Just get shoes, hat and go. Don't know what I was thinking.
Run
  • 58m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I was happy with the run. I was stiff off the bike and never really totally loosened up but mentally stuck with it and it was tough. Felt slower than it was which is good I guess. Improved a minute per mile from 5K time so happy with running faster over twice the distance. Good training I think.

May drink a little more often early.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down just walked around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bike preparation, training and performance.

Event comments:

I love this little town. The people make the race and the people here were great. Course is challenging but not so hard that a beginner can't do it. I had a great time.

Last updated: 2011-10-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:12 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/29
Overall: 77/282
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes Orca
Course: L shape course, out about 200 and north, turn around buoy then about 150 in
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 52F / 11C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:39:10 | 24.85 miles | 15.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/29
Overall: 208/282
Performance: Bad
NA Didn't wear it.
Wind: Some
Course: rolling with 2 notable inclines on back half
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:47 | 06.21 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/29
Overall: 180/282
Performance: Good
Didn't wear
Course: Gradual uphill a little more than first half, some trails, some road. Run back didn't seem as down hill but it was a little different route, not out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-10-07 9:20 PM

Southern California
Subject: Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Course

2011-10-08 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3715907

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Course
Good Job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed