General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 43m 43s
Overall Rank = 50/117
Age Group = M3034
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:50am and had 2-3 servings of cereal, some Gatorade, a banana and a cup of some nasty hotel coffee. We packed everything the night before so we were ready to go.
Event warmup:

As much as I should have warmed up for this since it was so cold, I still did my normal thing of using the swim as my warmup.
Swim
  • 41m 6s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went well, I just took it easy because in the Chicago Tri my quads started cramping up a bit and I didn't want that to happen here. Can't tell a whole lot but I passed a bunch of people, but I did see 2 go past like it was nothing, wish I can swim like that!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, if I want to go faster in the swim I just better get my butt in the pool more often, no excuses!
Transition 1
  • 07m 48s
Comments:

Horrible T1!! If I would have organized and practice for this expected longer transition I could have probably gotten under 5:40! I didn't wear my tri jersey under my wetsuit since I didn't want it wet starting the bike in 48F which wasn't a problem because my suit is a full zip and gets on easily. But, then I started dropping stuff, I helped my brother unzip his wetsuit (not sure if I was suppose to do that or not), I put my arm warmers on and had to look for my sunglasses. Then I left getting halfway to the bikemount line and realized I forgot my gloves and I wasn't about to leave without them so I went back re-racked my bike and looked for my gloves. It gets better! I left again and when I got back to the bikemount line and realized I didn't leave the straps on my shoes undone so I ended up unstrapping them first and then heading out.

I really need to start planning things out better for transition. I do want to get better at triathlon and I realize that practicing transition is sure to make a difference.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 39s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, I saw some mention this was a flat course and the site mentioned flat and fast...yeah, not for me! We don't get those steeper hills here in Chicago, and those two last hills at the end of each loop were brutal. The wind didn't help either on the second half. There were a lot of times that I was down to 12mph on the flats! Well, this was the leg I was a little worried about being cold during. It didn't last long though, 10min of teeth chattering and it was all good from there. I saw my brother a few times and he was looking strong, even smiled as we passed eachother.

This is my weak leg, so you know what that means! Jorge's Winter Program here I come, and I'll be dedicated this time so watch out on the bike next year haha!
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

I think my T2 in FL70.3 was almost 6min so this was a huge improvement for me. I ended up leaving my arm warmers on since it was still a little chilly and I can just tuck them away if I got warm. I wish the port-o-john was in transition and not on the run so the time I spent in there (I was quick actually) would be counted for T2.

Just a little faster! I could have managed it I think.
Run
  • 1h 52m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a great run, considering I took about 14min off my time in FL70.3. I think I did go out a little too fast though. I averaged about 8:00-8:03 for the first lap and that included the very brief walking I did at 2 aid stations. I was feeling great!

Starting out the second loop I though to myself, "I'm going to negative split this!" But then, just a little bit into the 2nd lap I started to slow a little, not a whole lot, but enough to tell me this was going to be tougher than I thought. I must have seen my brother at a little after mile 8.5 and for some reason he asked if I was going 8min miles, I looked at my Garmin and said "no!" even though it said 8:05 avg, but then just after that I slowed a lot, probably down to an 8:30/mi pace. I managed to get to the half-lap aid station, took some coke and water and then walked to the end of the parking lot...which was a little under a 2min walk or so.

I started running again and got to a point where I just couldn't run anymore, looked ahead and saw the next turn and said to myself that I'll walk to that turn. As soon as I started running again I felt ok. I think the last 1.5-2mi must have averaged close to 10min/mi but I was back to an 8:30 pace...I think there was a slight tailwind though, not complaining! Didn't stop since then and there was a little more than 2mi left.

As I was closing on 1mi to go I slowed and talked to this guy that said good job to me. He said it was his 3rd HIM in 3 weeks...I said "you're nuts!" lol, I think I needed that as it put me in good spirits. Just as I got to the 1mi left spot I cranked it up a bit and ended up running a 7:50mi or so.

I didn't meet my goal of not walking but I did keep it to a minimum and it showed in my finishing time. Pretty happy with the run.

I'm still quite new to triathlon, let alone the HIM distance. I felt good starting the run but my lack of experience got the best of me here I think. I really should have started out slower and upped the pace later on in the run if needed.
Post race
Warm down:

I really just want to sit down after HIM, so I didn't really do anything. It was actually cold out anyway so there wasn't much need to warm down!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not practicing and planning for transition.

Event comments:

It was a really small race and I was worried that being so small would take away from it feeling like a race. Not at all! I enjoyed my time out there and I think this was an awesome race for the price.

Last updated: 2011-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:06 | 2112 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 39/117
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Kind of a 2-lap aout and back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:48
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:00:39 | 56 miles | 18.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 63/117
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: 3-loop course through some really nice roads with lots of corn fields, I mean it, I'm from Chicago and I don't get a lot of that kind of riding!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:52:30 | 13.1 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 43/117
Performance: Good
Course: 2-lap out and back course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-08 11:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed