General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st HM, 8 weeks, 2nd HM - training question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-17 11:15 AM

User image

Master
PNW
Subject: 1st HM, 8 weeks, 2nd HM - training question

I need some advice.

Yesterday I completed my first ever half-marathon.  2 years ago, I couldn't run a half mile without foot pain, yesterday I ran 13.1 pain free (at least in my feet!).  I've already signed up for number 2 on December 11th (8 weeks away).

What should I do between now and then in terms of training?  I followed a training plan from Runners World (10 weeks) for this one and it went fine.  Should I repeat the last 8 weeks of it?  Should I just run and not worry about a plan?  My logs are up to date but ignore the last week as I managed to get sick a week before the event and pretty much had to miss my entire taper week.  I did manage one 4 mile run, but typically I run more often than that.

I also had a goal to run every day in the month of October, but my illness killed that plan.  I was thinking of attempting it again in November (with just running regularly until then).  Would that be an ok idea, or do I need more structure?

Any advice is welcome.

Oh, my goal is to run this next half marathon faster than yesterday's.  Both have similiar course profiles and should likely have similar weather as well.  I did this one in 2:15 and while my heart and lungs were totally fine (and hardly even challenged at all), my legs muscles were what failed me.   When I got to the finish, I definitely had more in me, but today, my legs are quite sore.  Does this mean I need to run harder in training (something I really haven't done yet)?

Thanks in advance!

2011-10-17 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3726712

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: 1st HM, 8 weeks, 2nd HM - training question

If you were to run every day from today through the end of November, what would your daily running look like? Looking at your logs it appears your weekly average for the past 6 weeks has been in the 15 miles/week range. Not exactly big mileage for running a solid HM. If the RW plan had you running such few miles, perhaps you should look at a different plan. Hal Higdon intermediate may be a good one. Count back from your race and pick up the plan at that point if possible.

BTW, no reason you need to wait until the beginning of a month to run every day. Today marks exactly one year of running every day for me. Probably somewhere in the area of 2400 miles in that time. If an old guy like me can do it, you can too.

2011-10-17 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3726712

User image

Master
PNW
Subject: RE: 1st HM, 8 weeks, 2nd HM - training question

Yeah, the runners world plan was pretty mild on distance and that did concern me.  The last 4 weeks were above 20 mpw (but I screwed it up with getting sick, so my miles were only above 20 for two weeks).  I felt good at 20 mpw though, so that was kind of my goal for the next few months.

I've done a ton of traveling lately (4 of the last 8 weeks on the road) so my schedule has been all over the place.  I squeeze in runs where I can, so there is really not a lot of pattern to them.  Next week, that's done for a few months, so I should be able to ensure more quality miles on a regular interval.

I'll definitely check into some Hal Higdon plans - thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st HM, 8 weeks, 2nd HM - training question Rss Feed