Charlotte Dowd YMCA
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 25s
Overall Rank = 16/306
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30. Nanny came to watch the kids so that Sarah and I could go and do this together. Had an oatmeal bar and went to race site.
Event warmup:

Did a short 1/4 mile warmup with Sarah 5 minutes before race start. As I waited there was a little delay and I saw my HR climb from 80 to 120 as start neared.
Run
  • 21m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Opening stats going into race: PR 24:20, but I knew I could beat that in spite of recent IT band and other issues.

First 100 yards or so was a modest incline. I sprinted to get to the front of the pack. One minute in my HR monitor started beeping to say my HR was 178+; oops, I forgot to turn that off!

I spent the first mile, mostly downhill, trying not to overextend myself. I finished the first mile in 6:30 but was worried about my high HR.

The second mile was almost entirely uphill. My HR was steadily over 180 by this point and I was worried I'd completely gas, but I kept going.

The third mile was down/up/down/up. Kept pushing hard and started picking some folks off near the end. The last 1/4 mile was up a gradual incline and I managed to catch and pass several folks that had been 20-40 yards in front of me for most of the race.

For the race as a whole my pace was 6:54 and my HR 181. Can't believe I could sustain that high an effort level. HR hit 192 at the end.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a great effort for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited around, texted Patrick, and cheered Sarah to her finish. We both finished second in our age groups!

Last updated: 2011-10-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:25 | 03.11 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/306
Performance: Good
Course: First mile 90% steady, moderate downhill Second mile 90% steady, moderate uphill Third mile down/up/down/up I'm guessing there's not a 100 yard flat section on entire course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?