UK Triathlon Forum England » Fambridge Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-27 10:15 AM

New user

Subject: Fambridge Half Ironman

Hi all,

Next year is my third season and i am going to finish with my first 70.3 at fambridge in Essex.

I am looking to speak with like minded people who are attempting their first 70.3 next year or even vetrans. i am looking at how best to practise hydration nutrition and how to overcome the swim.

please feel free to post and give advice.

Ed

2011-10-28 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3740394

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: Fambridge Half Ironman
Hi Ed, that race is fairly local to me and a few of my club raced it last year. I can't do next year unfortunately so am aiming to do the Vitruvian in September instead. Thos who raced said it was a great event and the bike and run routes were good. I have cycled the bike route many times and there are a couple of tasty hills but most of it is flat. The biggest problem will be the wind as you will be out on the Dengie peninsular where they keep trying to build wind farms. The run is part trail and part roads and very flat. The swim is in the river and there will be some current even though the race is timed to be around the turning tide so you need to practice swimming in a river or the sea. I have only done 1 half iron race and found that 1 aero and 1 normal bottle on the bike was ok as I could swap out the normal bottle for a fresh one at the feed station and this was enough. I taped gels to the top tube and had a bento box with malt loaf and energy bars in it and used them all. Then had a race belt with loops for 8 gels on the run plus I carried a banana with me. The most important thing is make sure you practice your nutrition on your longer training rides and runs to get used to it and to make sure you can stomach them ok. Good luck and if you are doing a route recce give me a shout if you want company
New Thread
UK Triathlon Forum England » Fambridge Half Ironman Rss Feed