General Discussion Triathlon Talk » medial gastrog strain in calf muscle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-28 7:54 PM

Subject: medial gastrog strain in calf muscle
I just incurred a medial gastrog strain in my right calf muscle coaching my daughter's soccer team and have the Florida Ironman next Saturday. Has anyone suffered from this injury? Is it possible to race next weekend?

2011-10-28 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3743094

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: medial gastrog strain in calf muscle

I tore mine last year and was out of action for 8+ months.  Rest it completely this week and adjust your plans if you are able to compete.  Your leg will be in charge of the entire day.

ETA have them Kinesiotape it prior to the race too.

Edited by QueenZipp 2011-10-28 8:05 PM
2011-10-28 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3743094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: medial gastrog strain in calf muscle

Note: I'm not a Doctor, and am only stating opinion. Do what you want at your own risk

Not good, these things take a while to heal.  I strained a calf muscle about this time last year, and it took a good month or so to fully recover.  It might have been the soleus muscle, which sits underneath the gastroc muscles, but has similar function.

The problem is it will feel better in a couple days, and will probably be pain free to walk on.

Then you'll try to run, and maybe for a mile, it will be good.  Then the pain comes back.  You can then go in the cycle of pain-rest-walk-run-pain-repeat.

I just re-injured mine last Saturday, wasn't doing anything but running in a straight line when the same spot as last year started to hurt.  It was fine all spring/summer.  I've read that cold weather can be a factor, so I'm going with tights/compression sleeves from now on if it's even just cool outside.

Do the usual first aid: ice now, then massage and heat after a couple days, to keep the scar tissue down, and promote blood flow for healing.  Most guides seem to go with no running for AT LEAST a week, so IMFL isn't looking good, IMO.  At least the run part.  I could bike 24 hours after mine last week, but still can't run.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » medial gastrog strain in calf muscle Rss Feed