General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Hi, My Name is Pat, and my Swim Sucks" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-09-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: #255877

Subject: RE: "Hi, My Name is Pat, and my Swim Sucks"
To arch your lower back while swimming, try this: Stand up straight, hands hanging at your sides, then without moving upper body or legs, use your lower spine to stick you ass out. Combine that with pressing your chest and head down into the water should get you legs up to the surface of the water. Once you try it in water, it should work, but be difficult to maintain. Start with holding the position while you roll and swim as long as you can. You will be able to hold the position longer as your core strengthens. For me, when my form falls apart, the first to go is my lower back position, thus dropping my legs, thus slowing me down.

The TI website says just getting your legs up is worth something like a 25% improvement in stroke count, so that may be much of what is keeping your speed low.

The bobbing sounding like the sinking I described in myst post. Are you bobbing after each breath or after each stroke? If the bobbing is tied to each breath, then you are sinking after each breath. When I was doing that, it was because I was reaching up too high to get a breath, then staying up there too long. When you raise you head up, you body sinks. To breathe properly and avoid the bobbing syndrome, only lift your head far enough out of the water for most of you mouth to break the surface, quickly breathe in, then return your head deliberately to its pressed low in the water position. It is ok to get water in your mouth when you take a breath. You will not inhale it into your lungs, it will stay in your mouth and you will draw air over it. Use your vision as a guide. Only let one goggle break the surface when you thurn to breathe. Turn to the side, looking forward just a tad. If you turn and look behind you to create an air pocket to breathe near your shoulder you get a nice juicy pull of air into your lungs, but the penalty is speed, because the top of you head swings to the side, creating drag, slowing you down.

Another key to speed that works for me is to be sure to power your pulls using you core, not your arms. Your arms only work to maintain the optimal position for getting traction in the water. From there you use the core muscles to whip your arms to the rear, pulling your body forward in the water. If you are swimming by mainly using your arm muscles, and not you lats and core abdominals, then you will burn too much energy in the swim. Use your core with lessarm muscle and you will exit the water fresh and ready to ride.

2005-09-29 9:41 AM
in reply to: #254819

Des Plaines, IL
I sympathize with the "struggle". Pat, one site i found useful was coachgordo.com, forwarded to me by someone else from here. it actually has a video, frame by frame of Thorpe going through the free stroke (underwater camera from the world championships when he was 14). I'm an ex-waterpolo player, recently turned triathlete, so endurance swimming has never been a favorite activity - - so you can imagine my agony when i look at the swim workouts (have to do my first 1500 m time trial today of tomorrow) - - def. in pain just thinking about it.
There were very useful tips on there on all areas - - maybe it'll help you out as well.
Good luck
2005-09-29 11:12 AM
in reply to: #256048

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
2005-09-29 11:52 AM

Pro
Do a google search on "swimming tips" and your first hit is going to be a German/English website. From there you will find tips, analysis and links to video that I have posted before. I would repost the link, but my computer did some very bad bad things yesterday that required some rather extreme measures that have resulted in me not having my favourites at this particular moment. I expect everything to be back to normal, oh, next year or so.
2005-09-29 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Brookline, MA
"Hi, my name is Jeremy, and I need a floatation device."

Well, it isn't that bad, but I am certainly not breaking any records.. I started researching Master's programs, and found a place that instructs adults.. I just signed up, but it doesn't start until Oct 20th.. If you need instruction, that type of thing might be the way to go..

A little less hopeless thrashing and a little more VROOOM!
-Jeremy
2005-09-29 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ

For those of you who sink, DEFINITELY look at the Total Immersion website - their method is DESIGNED for you.  The push the "swimming downhill" idea that by pushing your shoulders and head down further you will bring up your legs - basically you are changing  your center of balance/fulcrum.  If you want to invest in books or dvds, I would look at theirs.

Core strength will help to keep your legs up - phoenixazul is right;  your core does more than you think it does. 

Splashing with your kick is a waste of energy - I try to splash as little as I can.  I also kick relatively little, primarily for balance.  When I want a burst of speed I'll kick hard for a bit but JUST for short bits of time since in my experience (decades of speed swimming) it really doesn't help as much as you might think.  And definitely kick from the hip, not the knee.  And point your toes; kicking flat-footed does little good.

Just to repeat, elbow should be the highest point out of the water, drag your finger tips along the surface.  I bring my hand back into the water at an angle downward, slightly outward and starting at my goggles.  I extend all the way forward and then, using an S shaped stroke, pull backward along my body. 

I also find the "swimming in front of you" drill useful - this (described above) is when you wait for the hand that just stroked to rejoin the one out front before you start the next stroke.  This is great for focusing on the stroke and ALSO for helping you get that long, lean line.  It will also teach you to not thrash but let the force you have generated work for you.

Most of this is repeating what was said before, but frankly it can't be said too many times or too many ways!

2005-09-29 1:11 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-09-29 6:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Pat, I'm Fred and I am a charter member of SSA. I had no background in swimming at all coming to tri's and it shows. My last sprint tri took 25 minutes to cover (supposedly) 750 meters. It only took 24 the year before if that is any indication of my progress! I turn in some decent times in a wetsuit (18.5 first race of the year) but the last tri scared me so bad I cancelled my OLY race to end the year. I HAVE to get better over the winter as I plan to start with a HIM next year! I am hoping for improvements from a Masters class I will be attending after a half marathon in 1 week.

We need Jeff Bostic on here (jkbostic). Jeff is a swim god.
2005-10-01 10:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is my vote for "Best Freaking Post Title Yet"
2005-10-02 3:40 PM

User image

"Hi, my name is Jeremy, and I need a floatation device."

haha.

And, yes, I do have a kickass girlfriend (who could also kick my ass, coincidentally). Nearly four years of awesome-ness thus far. I'm going to go nuts while she's in Ireland for six months. Thanks for the compliment

Again, thanks for all the tips!
2005-10-02 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
This thread rocks! I just started swimming...and have a long way to go!

2005-10-02 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
What a great post. I am sure it's all simple stuff, but it helps us newbies alot.
Thanks for all the info.

Snookdude
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Hi, My Name is Pat, and my Swim Sucks" Rss Feed  

of 2