General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is my Max HR my Max Hr? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-29 4:01 PM

Veteran
Subject: Is my Max HR my Max Hr?

I got my heart rate up to 203 in a sprint the other day on my way to work.  I was doing some intervals after being off my bike for a while.

So is my max hr at least 203? 

2005-09-29 4:26 PM
in reply to: #256445

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Is my Max HR my Max Hr?
Yes, I would think it's at least 203. Why, do you doubt the HR monitor reading?
2005-09-29 8:55 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
203 is a bit higher than usual but not really that extreme.
2005-09-29 9:49 PM

User image

Elite

Some people have freakishly high heart rates.  I have a friend who's 45 and has a max heart rate of 195.  Lucky bastard... 

2005-09-29 10:49 PM

Veteran
Now, here's what happened the last few days. I'm new to the heart rate monitor thing. After I tested my max HR and found it was higher than I thought, I rode home from work (12.5 miles) trying to keep my pulse between 152 and 172 -- 75%-85% of my max. It hovered right around 165 the whole ride.

Each day, it seems like a bit more work to keep my heart rate up in that range. I have to go faster and work harder to get it that high. It could be just an illusion.

Does this mean that my aerobic capacity is increasing? If so, when do my legs start to keep up with my cardiovascular system?

Today, my heart rate wanted to stay around 155.

BTW, I'm also coming off of an injury where I was out for a little over a month.
2005-09-30 3:53 AM
in reply to: #256678

User image

Veteran
Gif-sur-Yvette
oipolloi - 2005-09-30 5:49 AM

Some people have freakishly high heart rates.  I have a friend who's 45 and has a max heart rate of 195.  Lucky bastard... 

Don't know why that is such a good thing. I am 45 (technically not until another 4 days go by) and my MHR is 194. I can get there when I want but it is not something I long for and serves me no good that I know of.

It's a somewhat "painful" experience since everytime I hit it I have to endure a burning sensation on my quads, a pronounced numb feeling in my arms, and a squeeze feeling in my stomach for what seems to last a long time, although I know it hardly 2 minutes. Then I stop, and although I never puked, I feel like I should. To get there I need at least 20 minutes of concentrated methodical effort. The only thing I can think of that may get a positive contribution from that exercize is to increase my pain limits and get some mental toughness, call it masochism

2005-09-30 4:07 AM
in reply to: #256691

User image

Veteran
Gif-sur-Yvette

MrCjolsen - 2005-09-30 6:49 AM I have to go faster and work harder to get it that high. It could be just an illusion. Does this mean that my aerobic capacity is increasing? If so, when do my legs start to keep up with my cardiovascular system? Today, my heart rate wanted to stay around 155. BTW, I'm also coming off of an injury where I was out for a little over a month.

Not being able to get the HR to the levels one knows normal may also be a signal of overtraining, meaning the body is not recovering from previous effort. Why would you want to push that hard?

If your max HR on the bike is 203, I would guess your LT for the bike not to exceed 181 or so. Should that be the case you should work between 145 and 162 (your z2) to develop a good aerobic base. Try doing a few days under 145 (I know you will feel like its too slow) and you will see how easy it will be to get where you want.

Read this thread and do TT to determine your real LT for the bike. Use the calculator to get the right training zones.

2005-09-30 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Northeast
Remember that heart rate, though it serves as a good indicator of effort, is affected by so many parameters that it's not a definitive meter of your effort. Fatigue, training state, body chemistry, hydration, etc., are examples of internal influences as wind, heat, humidty, etc., are examples of external influences on hr.

For this reason, it's unlikely you'll ever reliably and repeatably test to a certain HRMax. This is why testing to a HRLT and then calculating a theoretical HRMax is a more commonly applied approach to establish training zones. For example, my calculated HRMax for running is 195, and I routinely hit the low 190's during my most intense workouts, but rarely ever exceed 195. But during a 10k this summer on a very hot and humid day at all out effort, I hit 203 and held it for about 7 seconds. Does this mean I should change all my training zones? No - it was simply the influence of the heat and the humidity (and likely my training state).

Lastly, remember that HR is just an indicator. It's simply a slightly-better-than-perceived-effort number that helps you establish your efforts. Having an HRMax of 200 is absolutly no better than another person having an HRMax of 170. For this reason, if you're interested in comparing efforts/capabilities to other athletes, you should compare in terms of %HRMax, as the numbers themselves mean absolutly nothing when compared to other people (HRRest is the exception).

Have fun!
2005-09-30 8:24 AM

User image

Elite

Last night when I delogged my HR data, there were spikes every few minutes up to 228 BPM.  Does this mean that my MaxHR is 228?  Nah.  It means my strap was loose.  My watch (Polar) gives either 228 or 0 when the electrodes are not making good contact.

I don't necessarily think you have gotten bad data.  I really don't know.  Occasionally, the instrument can be wrong.  It's just another possibility to consider.

It is difficult to check for spurious data like that unless the watch logs the data so that you can see the individual spikes.

TW

2005-09-30 8:24 AM
in reply to: #256719

Veteran
Bisucas - 2005-09-30 4:07 AM

Not being able to get the HR to the levels one knows normal may also be a signal of overtraining, meaning the body is not recovering from previous effort. Why would you want to push that hard?

If your max HR on the bike is 203, I would guess your LT for the bike not to exceed 181 or so. Should that be the case you should work between 145 and 162 (your z2) to develop a good aerobic base. Try doing a few days under 145 (I know you will feel like its too slow) and you will see how easy it will be to get where you want.

Read this thread and do TT to determine your real LT for the bike. Use the calculator to get the right training zones.

So could said "overtraining" happen in just a few days? Trust me, at this point, I don't mind riding slower. I did some intervals the other day at the LT you mentioned. And I rode two days in a row. I can handle riding at 142-162 if that's what I need to do.
2005-09-30 9:45 AM
in reply to: #256793

User image

, Texas
jvinciqu - 2005-09-30 8:10 AM

Remember that heart rate, though it serves as a good indicator of effort, is affected by so many parameters that it's not a definitive meter of your effort. Fatigue, training state, body chemistry, hydration, etc., are examples of internal influences as wind, heat, humidty, etc., are examples of external influences on hr.

For this reason, it's unlikely you'll ever reliably and repeatably test to a certain HRMax. This is why testing to a HRLT and then calculating a theoretical HRMax is a more commonly applied approach to establish training zones.

I've seen this logic before as a pro for LT zones as opposed to MaxHR zones. While I do agree that the LT method is better, LTHR is affected by all of the same conditions that affect MaxHR, so the accuracy/repeatability will be about the same between both.

2005-09-30 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Gif-sur-Yvette

In just a few days I would probably call it over-reaching, but the effect is the same and if prolonged can develop into the the dreaded condition we all want to avoid.

The body needs to recover fully after each workout. If not it will not be able to do the positive compensation we all long for. The real change happens during recovery, even if that recovery is an active recovery. If we keep pushing hard the body does not recover and does not compensate positively, quite the opposite.

In short the answer is YES. Recovery depends of fitness level, varies with the person and non-recovery symptoms can happen after just a few days in a row.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is my Max HR my Max Hr? Rss Feed