General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Set a big goal...now I need big help Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-10-02 10:59 AM

User image

Subject: Set a big goal...now I need big help
Hello,
I recently commited myself to a goal of completing the Canadian Ironman in 2005. I have never done a triathalon. I recently completed my first marathon and was looking for another goal to challenge me. I am in excellent shape- I run 4-5 times a week and strength train 3 times. I can accomplish anything I put my energy towards- but I need a plan! Any help is appreciated. My first step is getting on the pool and swimming (I haven't since I was a kid) and spending more time with/on a bike.
If you have a good long term training plan for an Ironman or a shorter term training plan for a beginner triathalon I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

2003-10-02 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1040

User image

Champion
Subject: my thoughts for getting to 2005

focus on doing a sprint early 2004 then olympic late 2004 OR maybe just hit up the olympics in 2004 (if u double the sprint program on the site, it is basically the olympic length).  fall 2004 when season is over, start building that base up to ironman (woman) length distances.  by spring 2005, u should then transition to a ironman-specific pre-race schedule.

SO FOR NOW:

1. start building your base in all 3 sports following the 10% rule and 1 week of 'rest' per month..this needs not to be complicated.  at this stage everybody is gonna have their own program based on their current fitness.  go to 'getting started' on the main site to see details.
  2. soon as the 2004 season is posted for your area, pick a couple of tris to do...olympic?.  13 weeks before your tri, your base building should take u to the final 13 week program.  then knock-out those tris.
  3. 2004 over, base build for ironman program over winter. 
  4. early 2005, pick ironman event, 8-15 weeks before event, start your ironman program.
  5. become irongirl

when i get home, i'll post some olympic program variations to this thread so u know what duration u will have to get at by early 2004.

SOUND GOOD?

...we'll be here to answer all your ?'s

2003-10-02 9:01 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Set a big goal...now I need big help
Just climb your mountain one step at a time and before you know it, you can display the ironman logo. Good luck with the training!

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-10-03 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1046

User image

Subject: RE: my thoughts for getting to 2005
Thanks for all the great tips. I had set the short term goals you suggested (sprint tri in spring and building from there) and I really appreciate the long term map. I had my first session in the pool today...lots of room for improvement but I am committed and I know I can get better with perserverence. The tips on this site have really helped me visualize how my body should move through the water. Hopefully I'll drink less pool water as I improve ;-)
Thanks Again- this site rocks, I am learning so much already.
Amber Dawn
P.S As a Canadian, I'll be doing Penticton Ironman in August of 2005
2003-10-03 1:57 PM
in reply to: #1054

User image

Thanks for the encouragement! I've got the logo burned in my brain like a dangling carrot.
Amber Dawn
2003-10-03 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1067

User image

Champion
Subject: glug...glug...
speaking of pool water, the 'swimming' section is going to get much more intersting in the months to come...stay tuned.

2003-10-05 1:14 PM

User image

Champion

13 week ironman plan with lots of details at http://www.triathletemag.com/story.cfm?story_id=1533&publicationID=92&pageID=1732  looke at it so u can prepare for what u need to do.

for your sprint, use the plan on the site...for olympic, double it.

2003-10-07 10:49 PM
in reply to: #1088

User image

Thanks for the link- it will come in handy once I get closer to spring. I swam again today and am improving. Any tips on breathing technique- other than practice- that seems to be my biggest challenge.
Thanks,
Amber Dawn
2003-10-08 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1120

User image

Champion
Subject: i must feel like your drowning....
for about a month or two, before it becomes easier. i assume your doing the forward crawl breathing on every stroke. is it hard to hold your breath? feel like your lungs wanna burst? this is normal in the early stages of building endurance. just stick with it and BAM!!! all of the sudden it will become effortless. ONCE that happens, you will want to alternate your breathing on every 3rd stroke (holding your breath longer) this will improve yor stroke and speed. alternating your breathing is a lot easier than it seems once u have no problems with breathing on every stroke.

maybe some others will share their experience...
2003-10-08 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1124

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
Subject: RE: i must feel like your drowning....

I had problems with my crawl also. My first race I crawled for the first 150 yards then did a combination of modified side stroke and elementary back stroke to finish. Resting strokes are nice to be able to fall back on when you get nervous in open water. To improve my crawl to the point that I could actually complete over a mile I practiced. Initially I alternated laps between the crawl and the side stroke because my breathing was so far out that I couldn't complete over a lap without stopping to breath. After I could do more than a lap with the crawl breathing on every stroke (right side) I ramped up my distance gradually. After I could do about a half mile with the crawl breathing on my right side, I started working on breathing on my left. After I was comfortable with that I worked on alternating as Ron described. One other thing that I think was helpful to me is that I found that if I relaxed and tried to think about my strokes and breathing I could do better than worrying about time, especially when I was working on building a base and working on my strokes.

I think I followed a similar type of outline as posted on this site except I used the side stroke instead of the breast stroke as my in between stroke. Another thing that happened to me though is that after my last race I didn't swim for over a month. Last week I got in a pool and found that I couldn't do more than 4 laps crawl and that I can't do my side to side breathing well. For me, I guess swimming is something that I lose if I don't keep practicing. I also hate swimming in a pool because I can't turn efficiently. I would rather swim in open or running water, but because of the great weather in the mid-west and because of the safety issue of swimming alone, I don't have that opportunity right now.

Good luck on learning to swim better. I really need to work on my swim some more also.

My longest swim was 1.2 mile in a 1/2 IM and it took me 46.5 minutes to do.....not a real speed demon
2003-10-08 10:22 PM

User image

Thanks for the tips. I have been breathing every third, alternating sides. I have been trying to learn this way based on what I have read. I've been exhaling in between breathes and have found it helps me to inhale less water up my nose.
Today I did a spin class that alternated spinning intervals with running laps on the track...good time(?). One of the guys in the class has done 5 ironmans and is training for his 6th- he told me about a training group in the city (www.criticalspeed.com) so I think I'll hook up with them to train for a tri in the spring.
I appreciate the encouragement and I am now awaiting the time when- BAM! it becomes easy. ;-)

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Set a big goal...now I need big help Rss Feed