Tri the parks
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 9s
Overall Rank = 245/272
Age Group = 45-49 (Novice actually)
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove out the morning of the race, about a 1.5 hour drive. Got there at 7:00 just when the park opened and tried to relax until the start. I had just gotten my new bike, Fuji Newest, 2 days before and had only ridden it a few miles.
Event warmup:

Wetsuits were allowed but I didn't have a good one, just a diver shorty tank suit, so I swam in just jammers. I warmed up by doing some short freestyles and some breaststroke. The novice group, male and female, started last.
Swim
  • 15m 26s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had to stop and breaststroke about three time to get my bearings but I kept a better line than I did the week before. I got kicked a few times. The water was like pea soup so it was typical to suddenly find yourself tangled up in someone elses arms or legs.
What would you do differently?:

Sight without stopping or breaststroking
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I wasted some time in T1 getting bike gloves on. I could have gone without them or put them on while riding. Seems like it took forever. I also spent too much time putting on socks but I won't ride without them.

Skip gloves and roll up socks for easy rolling on. Also would put shoes into clips for fast mounting out of T1.
Bike
  • 44m 25s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 15.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed the bike and passed lots of serious looking riders. The race results say I did 17.3 MPH but the calculations show that is impossible. I forgot to turn on my bike computer on, so I didn't get my own time.

Go harder now that I have more training and have gotten to know the bike better.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 went fairly quick but I didn't time it. I felt good starting the run and ran a fairly good pace to start it.

Take a drink with me as I left T2, I needed it.
Run
  • 34m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good at first but tired when I got to the road and hurt going up the two hills. I thought I would never get to the turn around. A lot of the people that I passed on the bike passed me back on the run. After I was back on the park path, about a half mile from the finish, I saw someone about 100 feet behind me so I stepped it up and sprinted for the finish and did finish just 10 feet in front of them.

Know the course better and not get discouraged because of not knowing how much further I had to go.
Post race
Warm down:

None, I went back into the lake to cool down and wash off to change clothes for the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sufficient training, I feel that I did my best during the race.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the race a lot, but wish they had as good a post event as I had at Emerald the week before.

Last updated: 2004-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:26 | 600 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/272
Performance: Average
This time includes the run from the water to the T1 area which was about 200 yards and uphill.
Suit: None
Course: Out and back going counter-clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:25 | 11.2 miles | 15.13 mile/hr
Performance: Good
No HRM at this time
Wind: None
Course: Great bike course. Lots of easy rolling hills at the start with two big hills near the finish. The last half mile into T2 was downhill down the park entrance. I passed lots of others on the bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:19 | 03.1 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Around the lake we swam in and then out the back of the park onto a road with a couple of hills just before the turn around. There was a water table just before the road so you could hit it twice.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes