Pikes Peak Road Runners
35F / 2C
Precipitation
Total Time = 28m 6s
Overall Rank = 26/26
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and looked out my bedroom window and saw snow and groaned. On Thursday I kid you not it was 75 degrees outside. I ran the same trail run on Wednesday in a T-shirt!!!! Awe, springtime in the Rockies.
I woke up and saw that it was snowing and I wanted to get back under the covers. But I knew I'd put this race on BT so I had to do it right????!!!!
Event warmup:

Batting snowflakes....Does that count as a warm-up. I got to the trail and there they were. The faithful of the Pikes Peak Road Runners. They were all ready to go. One guy even had on shorts!!!!! It was snowing like crazy. I took a short run around to get my feet warm. Frozen sleet popped off my nose!!! It was crazy. I couldn't believe I stayed to run!
Run
  • 28m 6s
  • 2 miles
  • 14m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

As I said when I woke up I didn't want to go to this race. Who the heck wants to race in 30-degree weather with snow. But I'm sure glad I did because my time was a full 1 min and 08 sec faster than last time! Woo Hoo! My first mile was 13:52! That's the fastest mile I've ever run. And I ran 1/2 w/o stopping at a pretty good clip. I walked WAAAAYYY too much on the second mile and kicked it up a notch on the last 1/4 mile. But I did beat my time from last month and I feel so proud that I ran the .5 mile w/o stopping and a good portion of the second mile.
It was still a little demoralizing to see that folks had already finished the race in the time it took to run my FIRST mile. But that went a way quickly as they all cheered me on. I'm starting to think that coming in last in the race is the best because you have more people to cheer you on!!!! :) At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It's all part of the master plan!
What would you do differently?:

I would try to run more. Next month I'm going to try to run the 1st mile faster. That will give me time on the second mile to recover. I'm still pacing myself. But I didn't have to do some serious mental chiding of myself on that second mile. I walked more than I should have but when I picked up the pace at the last 1/4 mile I think I redeemed myself!
Post race
Warm down:

Drove to the gym and did my regular 1hr weightlifting class and then swimming

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't run as fast as I think I could have. But I'm trying to pace myself. I'm more concerned with distance than speed!

Event comments:

Woo Hoo! I've already "ran" three races this season. I feel so good. I can't believe that I'm running races. If you would have told me that I would be running races last year I would have laughed my head off. Well, now I'm running races and while I still have a long way to go, I feel much better today than I did when I wasn't running races!

Last updated: 2004-04-04 10:47 PM
Running
00:28:06 | 02 miles | 14m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 26/26
Performance: Good
Course: The course of course was wet and muddy with big puddles. But I knew the course since I ran this race last month.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes