Ironman
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 12m 26s
Overall Rank = 1279/1976
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up really early, ate oatmeal for breakfast, and had a cup of coffee. This is my first 1/2 and the longest race I have done and I have been focusing and training for this race for the past 5 months, so I was a little anxious in the morning.
Event warmup:

Stretching and walking
Swim
  • 41m 48s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had a really good first half of swim. The second half was tough for me to nagigate because of we were swimming right into the sun and the glare made it tough to see. Plus by this time, I was being overtaken by the swimmers in the other waves and was getting 'run over' a little bit. Overall, I was pleased with the swim. I was hoping for a 35-40 min swim and came close to that performance.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 05m 38s
Comments:

This 5 minutes included about a 2 min run from the swim exit to the bike. I had a pretty good transition. It was going to be a long day and I wanted to make sure of all my pre race plans. Drank water and gaterade, took some Thermolite capsules, put on my shirt, socks, shoes, sunglasses, and gloves and make sure to buckle my helmut strap and was off.

If I was good enough to compete for the Age Group title and a trip to Kona (not likely) I would have concentrated on being faster, but that will probably not happen so I take my time a little bit and catch my breath.
Bike
  • 3h 07m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Like the swim, had a great first half, averaging over 20mph for the first 25 miles or so. I was really trying to do this bike in under 3 hours, and thought I would do it until the last part. Sure did seem like I passed a lot of people, and did not seem to be passed by many. The bike is my best part of the tri, but after 3 hours I could not wait to get off the bike to start the run.

My biking has improved immensely over the last year. I am getting faster and when I do this race next year, I should do it in under 2:45.
Transition 2
  • 04m 17s
Comments:

Again, a long day of running was still ahead and I wanted to make sure I was ready. Put on my running shoes, drank water and gaterade, took a couple of Thermolite capsules and was off---to the bathroom-- and then I was off and running

Not much...I guess I could have pretended to be a Tour de France bike rider and relieved myself while I was riding and saved about a minute or so in the transition.
Run
  • 2h 13m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out feeling great. Did the first mile in about 8:30, the next in about 9, the next in about 9:30, then kept the pace around 9:30 to 10min miles until I started doing 11-12 minute miles the last 5 or so. Basically felt pretty good, knowing that I was going to finish and happy I wasn't doing a full ironman on this day.

Since I took a fall from a ladder a couple of months ago, my left foot has been sore. I can know go to the doctor to get it looked at, but it did curtail a lot of running over the last couple of months. Still, when I did a 1/2 manathon in January, I was in good shape and felt good about a 1:55, so I shouldn't feel bad about a 2:12 in a 1/2 Ironman. Next year it will be under 2 hr.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the food tent and had pizza, oranges, bagels, etc

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics

Event comments:

I still don't know if a '1' in the above category rates good or bad, but the Ironman organization is first rate and takes good care of their participants. Everything starts right on time, and even though I finished over 7 hours from when the event started and there were over 2000 participants, when I finished I felt like I was treated just like they would have a pro. Overall I got my moneys ($200) worth.

Last updated: 2004-04-07 8:46 PM
Swimming
00:41:48 | 2000 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1976
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Hyro
Course: Course was an out and back in the Oceanside Harbor. Water was very calm, with no chop or waves
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:07:11 | 56 miles | 17.95 mile/hr
Overall: 1128/1976
Performance: Good
Avg HR 158
Wind: Some
Course: Course was through Camp Pendelton Marine Base. The first 1/2 was pretty flat, but after about 25 miles, gave way to 3 steep climbs and rolling hills for the next 25 miles. The last 6 or so were pretty flat but into a speed-sucking headwind
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:13:34 | 13.1 miles | 10m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 1376/1976
Performance: Average
First lap (6.55mi) in 1:03 hr Second lap (6.55mi) in 1:08 hr Avg HR 153
Course: A flat 2 loop course along the Pacific Ocean in Oceanside.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes