General Discussion Race Reports! » Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Newport Beach, CA
United States
Pacific Sports, LLC
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 12s
Overall Rank = 136/1200
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Showed up and set up transition with relative ease. I had about a half-hour between set up and the start of my wave. Everything went smoothly as I packed the night before and getting to the race took about 5 minutes.
Event warmup:

I waded in the water for about 5-10 minutes prior to the start. Did some stretches and got the body temp. up a bit when I put the wetsuit on.
Swim
  • 11m 52s
  • 825 meters
  • 01m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a much better time navigating the course than in Wildflower with only a little "zig-zag" at the end. I continue to feel more relaxed as I do more triathlons, so when I entered the water on this race I was really casual and got a nice "jump" on the pack. Because my heat went last, I was weaving through a good amount of trafic the whole swim, which was a slightly distracting. Good swim overall.
What would you do differently?:

It's time to get more serious about technique and speed. I had a nice pace going but know I've got a at least another minute to shave if I cleaned the technique up a little more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Fairly smooth transition. I got right to my bike and was out of the wetsuit and into my bike gear in good time. The racks weren't very crowded at this race so I had plenty of room and found my transition area exactly as I had left it pre-swim.

This was the first race that I attempted to pre-cleat my shoes and run out of the transition barefoot. While my speed was great running out of the LONG transition area, I had one hell of a time getting my feet into my shoes. I'm using a 3 velco strap shoe and would seriously benefit from a true triathlon shoe with only one strap. The entry-exit capability of my current road shoe is simply inadequate.
Bike
  • 36m 49s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt a little weak on the bike today. I was slow on the climbs and didn't crank it on the downhills and cornering opportunities as hard as I am capable. Being a big rider (momentum) and good skiier (love to take turns at high speed) is my strong suit, but I didn't "help myself out" by maximizing my strengths as much as I would have liked.

Climb, climb, climb.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Dismounting folly followed by a decent T2

T2 started with a folly. As with T1, I had trouble getting my feet out of my shoes while still riding and ended up dismounting with one bare foot and one shoed foot. I proceeded to take the shoe off and run my bike with the left hand and carry the shoe in my right. It would have made for a funny picture for the BT site on how NOT to dismount.
Run
  • 25m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Easy run and cool weather made for the easiest of conditions. I took no fluids and ran toward the top of my comparatively weak pace. I was happy to be feeling fresh on the run but dissapointed at the finish because I still had some spring in my step and could have cranked out a little more effort. I did, however, pace myslef with a faster runner on the last mile (pushed myslef harder than I would otherwise) and had an all-out sprint for the last 200 meters - "catching" a runner well ahead of me, which always feels good.

Train, train, train. Work on the track - INTERVALS - so that I can deal with spiking my HR and learning how to positively manage myself through the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Felt good. Got some fluids then went out to breakfast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim technique, climbing ability on the bike, and overall running fitness.

Event comments:

#11 of 47 in age group, #128 of around 1,200 overall. Not bad!

Loved the convenience factor of the race being in my back yard. Otherwise, I felt like a real triathlete (my 3rd race - 2 sprints, 1 oly) because there seemed to be a lot of beginners out there. The course was about as easy as it will get (flat) and the temperature was ideal for keeping cool but not cold. A good "fitness" race for me, but I wasn't really into it mentally or physically like I was in my last 2 races. I need to be more aggressive in my training and races in the future.

Last updated: 2004-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:52 | 825 meters | 01m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1200
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Predator 2 john
Course: Rectangle, water start, good visibility of bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:26
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:36:49 | 13 miles | 21.19 mile/hr
Overall: 117/1200
Wind: Little
Course: The course was a short climb followed by 3 rolling loops followed by a downhill (opposite direction of the starting climb). Because this was a 3 loop sprint, the bike course was more like a criterium - lots of "tight spots", riders all over the lanes, jamming the brakes and cranking it back up regularly. Fun though - tons of action - witnessed a serious wipeout about 10 feet in front of me (fortunately I saw the whole thing coming and stayed clear).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:31 | 03 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 0/1200
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out-and-back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-04-08 12:00 AM

Newport Beach, CA
Subject: Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon Rss Feed