General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless Pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-24 11:13 AM

New user

Maryland
Subject: Clipless Pedals
Hey all!

I am getting ready to buy clipless pedals and wondering if there is any advice out there. A friend of mine suggested Time Impact. I currently have a mountain bike and don't know if that makes a difference as to what type I buy.

2004-04-24 12:07 PM
in reply to: #21098

Champion
Subject: RE: Clipless Pedals
Suz, I'm not sure about mountain bikes, since I don't have one, but I think it just depends on what pedal system you want to go with. Someone else with mountain bike experience can chime in here, but I believe most folks riding mountain bikes go with the Shimano system. I use the Look pedals and clips on my road bike. I believe the Shimano pedal is a 2 sided device which makes for convenience, since there is no top or bottom to the pedal, unlike the Look which only attaches one way. All these years owning a bike and I'm still pretty ignorant as to the differences between pedal systems, since I've stuck with the same brand since they were introduced.

Max

Edited by max 2004-04-24 12:07 PM
2004-04-26 6:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
The shimano SPD pedals are designed for off road use. The cleats are small and compact which allows them to be recessed in the sole of the shoe - MTBing often requires the rider to get off and push, dab, etc... and the recessed cleat allows more grip on the shoe (ask any road rider after walking across concrete with road cleats). The difference between MTB shoes and road shoes is mainly in the soles - MTB shoes have more grip, are more flexible and generally heavier; whereas the road shoes are more rigid (reduce energy lost in power conversion) and have less grip on the soles. there are spd pedals available for road riding, however i have not used them before, so i cant really comment on them. If you are looking for a pedal to use on your MTB for on road use only, i agree with max about the 'Look' style pedals. there are many imitation look pedals available and while it might sound dodgy, they are affordable and do a good job. The time impact pedals are also a good pedal, but if you are currently riding a MTB, I would suggest the extra money would not be worth it at the moment, learn on a cheaper pair as they tend to take a beating if you arent used to the set up.

aidan

Edited by Pro_rider 2004-04-26 6:48 AM
2004-05-04 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
Virginia Beach, VA
Suz,
I currently use SPD's for both MTN and road riding. The current budget does not allow for two separate types of shoes and pedals. I am very pleased with my SPD's on the road. As for MTN riding you need to take into consideration your environment. If you have a wet muddy type of trail you will want something that does not clog very easy. Make sure the pedals enable you to clip in on both sides. I think the egg beater pedals are even four sided entry. Good luck and just remember that you are going to fall. LOTS! Also, it will be in the most embarrassing place possible. But, the gains you make while climbing and overall control gains will be well worth it. Take care.

Scott
2004-06-11 9:50 AM

Regular
Lancaster Pa
I have a Gary Fisher mountain bike and a Trek wsd 200 both have the same Shimano clipless pedals on them. I definately like my mountain bike shoes more just because I don't kill myself when walking in them. The mountain bike cleats have more of a sole to them and it is so much easier to walk in them. My mountain bike shoes are made by Specialized and I would definately buy another pair. My road shoes are Nike and a bit more conforming/ form-fitting, which is what you want when using road shoes. They are comfortable when riding just not walking! Hope this helps in some way!

:-)

Edited by bunnislippers 2004-06-11 9:51 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless Pedals Rss Feed