General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Myrtle Beach Marathon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-02 8:41 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: Myrtle Beach Marathon?

Using some intermediary races to keep me on track during the winter as I train towards my first race in April (St. A's Oly + then possibly Gulf Coast HIM). A friend has challenged me to train for the Myrtle Beach ... he hasn't decided on the half vs. full.  Not sure I am ready for the full (see below) but definitely want to do a 1/2 mary prior to my HIM:

Questions:

1) Good event?  Well organized? Thoughts on the course they have previously used? http://www.mbmarathon.com/

2) Is there enough time to train for a marathon between now and February 17th?  At present I run a ~8:30 training pace for a 10k (7:40/mi race day) and run less than 36 miles per month.  While I feel like I have a pretty good base to start from, my longest distance to date has been 10k.

Input, advice and suggestions greatly appreciated.

2005-12-02 3:08 PM
in reply to: #296938

User image

Veteran
Springdale AR
Subject: RE: Myrtle Beach Marathon?
This is a great event. It was my first 1/2 marathon and I trained up in 6 weeks. It was a tough 6 weeks but I did it. I had a solid base but I am not a light guy...200 lbs. Last yr there were about 1800 runners in the 1/2 marathon so you are running with people around you the whole way. Again Great event and well worth doing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Myrtle Beach Marathon? Rss Feed