General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Over training during weight loss. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-29 12:12 PM

sioux city. IA
Subject: Over training during weight loss.
First let me explain I have a habit of doing too much. In November I weighed 290 pounds ( I am 6' 2'' ) today I weigh in at 255. Am eating between 1750 and 2250 calories a day, concentrating on 6 meals a day, the food part is going fine. The part that is not is I want to do to much too fast in the running department. I live in Iowa so I spend most of the time on the treadmill 5 times a week. I also strength train 4 times a week, part of me says dont get on the treadmill ride the bike instead but I know running will be a weakness. I have an athletic background played college football, ( I am now 36) In college I weighed 275 and was in great shape. I wish to do a sprint triaathlon in June of 2006. I am concerned about my back as I have ahd problems, no other serious injuries. Is running on the treadmill better for you than hard surfaces, it sure feels better, so can I do most of my trainingon the treadmill? I no I will not be competive at first but I also have a hard time being last in anything, its a fault I need to work on. Is there such a thing as an average time for a sprint tri, and what is it. I have no training partners and zero support for this. I am motivated, mainly to lose weight but also to do something that seems so extreme. thank you for your help. graham

2005-12-29 12:21 PM
in reply to: #313080

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Over training during weight loss.
I am overweight by about 20# and have found strenth training for my legs has so far saved me from injuring my knees. I'll lift about 3 times a week. I think if you are a bit out of shape, those muscles need to be strong to support an overweight frame. I think there are a lot of different opinions on this, I'm just sharing what is working for me.
I run on a treadmill, it's much easier on your body. BUT, big but, when I switch to running outdoors, I tire more easily and cannot get the distance that I can on a treadmill. Might just be me-? As soon as spring rolls around, I plan on doing all my training outside except the swim. I think the treadmill and stationary bike is a fine place to start.
I would do a 12 week couch to sprint training program from this site. Or, if you are in good shape, an intermediate to sprint 12 or 16wk program. Everyone here says don't worry about the times. I agree, but it's hard b/c you do want to push yourself. I would just work on improving week by week distances first, then speed will come. Good Luck. And, congrats on dropping the weight. Good for you!!
2005-12-29 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ

There really isn't an average sprint time - look at the site for the folks that are running the race and see if they have last year's results up, since that will give you the best idea.

(I did one this year that I finished in 2:05 - the winners were around 1:20-1:30 - I did another that I finished in 1:29 - the winners were under an hour.  It really depends on the course as much as anything, and it's definitely not all about distance.)

In the end though, don't worry about your time.  I did that first race as my first one ever with the goal only of not coming in last.  I didn't.  I actually finished before a dozen people.  Moreover, when I looked at my splits I was firmly middle of the pack (slight above 50%) on the swim and the bike.  My run killed me, and at 5'5" 210 I knew it would.  I'm working on it.  But not ONLY the one aspect.

You need to do things OTHER than running or you will injur yourself.  Your weight puts a lot of pressure on your joints, and while training on a treadmill helps a bit it doesn't actually stop that pressure.  Make sure you vary your workouts so that the different muscle groups have time to recover.

I would suggest changing it up so you run 2 days, bike 2 days and swim 1.  Work on your legs for your strength training on days you don't plan to run.    You have a LOT of time to both lose weight and train for this event, so try to relax a little.

I would also strongly suggest investing in a heart rate monitor and looking at the 220-Age thread.  That thread will help you set a heart rate training zone.  I can almost guarentee you are training too hard.  I did as instructed and dropped 30 seconds per mile off my running time in that zone in a matter of a month and a half.  Moreover I dropped 3 minutes per mile off my race time.  (I'm really slow - I was running a 15 minute mile, I ran 12 minute miles in my last race.

One last thing.  The body builds muscle and endurance by going through cycles of effort and RECOVERY.  You break down muscle fibers and then rebuild them stronger.  But only if you give your body recovery time.  Your running will improve faster if you alternate it with the bike and swimming than if it is the only thing you do because you will be providing those muscles some time to heal and build.

2005-12-30 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=19

great article by ron - very helpful re: what you're asking

2005-12-30 12:53 PM

sioux city. IA
I should have added that going slow is something I have a hard time doing, one of my first runs in nov I ran 2.5 miles in 20 minutes and weighed 285. I have to learn to slow down, take it easy. a training partner would help. but I get bored with going slow, but i want this to be for ever not just for 2 months so have to pace myself. Mty goal weight is 210, I have heard that a hrm may help does anybody think it will?
2005-12-30 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ

Laughing A man after my own heart.

Yes, a HRM will help SO MUCH.  When you have a heart rate target to concentrate on it's far easier to slow down.  I used to push myself quite hard as well; I didn't realize HOW hard until I got a HRM and watched what my heart did on a normal run.  It was WAY over where it should have been.  Forcing myself to keep it down forced me to SLOW down, which in turn has drastically improved my speed and endurance.  It works.  Really.

2005-12-31 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Graham,
I can relate to everything you are saying.

I can tell you that I have actually been the last person to finish a triathlon (I didn't have the slowest time because it was a staggered start). The bike course was a b*&$# and I was super slow. So slow in fact, that some of the people had left the course and there were no markers left. However, I did finish the tri and I didn't walk the run (two of my personal goals in any tri).

If it were me, I wouldn't do all my training on the treadmill or the exercise bike. There is a world of difference between indoor and outdoor training. I also wouldn't spend all my time running, even if it is your biggest worry. It is my biggest worry too. In general, I try to do 3 swims, 3 bikes and 3 runs a week. And remember, in any race, the bike is half.

I 100% agree with misanthropic. She has set me straight on the slowing down part of it. And I really love my HRM. It makes it so much more fun to train. If you can afford it, I would invest in one with some of the fun bells and whistles.

I love beginnertriathlete.com because of all the support and fun people so I think you are in the right place for that!
2006-02-06 2:33 AM

Veteran
Ames IA
I know this is a little late response to your thread but I thought I would give a little advice that I have learned. I too live in Iowa and know how hard winter training can be. I was a little concerned with the amount of calories you are taking in. Specifically I think you might be taking in too little. A little background about myself, I have never been athletic (till recently) and through most of college weighed 340 pounds untill a fellow triathlete I know who had done IMW helped wip me into shape and I got down to 200 pounds. However my diet was really crappy and I have learned since than that I took in too few calories. I was taking in about 1500 to 2000. Since that time I put on about 40 pounds because I could not stay healthy with the amount of training and calorie deprivation and fell off the wagon. I am back down to about 218 and hope to get back to a healthy 200 by August (in time for the pigman half.) My fiance, who is getting her masters in nutrition and her RD (and was a cross country runner in college and can kick my but on even her easiest of workouts = ) put me on a better nutrition plan and put me on about a 2400 calorie diet. I have felt stronger during all of my workouts and am more alert and am losing the weight in a hopefully sustainable manner (1 to 2 pounds a week eating about 5 times a day) that will alow me to keep it off with out falling off the bandwagon. As for your running on the treadmill it wil be easier on your knees, just make sure you are stretching (nasty case of IT band syndrome taught me this.) I would cut the lifting sessions back to 3 and put in some more biking as this is where if you find you really like triathlons you could really probbably improve the most. Also look at some of the training plans they have posted here on BT.

Just my .02, I hope it helps some.
2006-02-06 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

Yes, run out and buy a heart rate monitor.  At first it seems really counter-intuitive to slow down on your run.  After all, we would all like to be faster.  I'm not sure that my pace has increased dramatically, but my endurance really took off.  I went from gasping for air and wanting to throw up after a 3 mile run, to being able to finish a 17 mile run.  Slowing down really made me fall in love with running.

You got lots of great advice already.  The only thing that I would add is that you really need to focus on the 10% rule (not increasing your mileage by more than 10% a week).  When running really clikcks, it's tempting to keep going, but that's when you're likely to get an overuse injury.

Once the weather warms up a bit, I would also suggest that you try running outdoors.  Not only does it feel different on your legs, it's much more enjoyable.  Anything above 35 or 40 degrees, and I would much rather run outside.

Good luck on your training!

2006-02-07 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
One little addition: When you start running outdoors, don't run on concrete. That is the worst for your joints. Dirt, a track, or even gravel are all good. Asphalt is marginally better than concrete.

Good luck!
2006-02-08 10:19 PM

User image

Champion
MA

It is counterintuitive to slow down to learn to run faster, but it works. My time per mile has dropped more than 4 minutes in 9 months of training by learning to slow down my long runs. Your long runs also teach your body how to burn fat and use that as fuel. Only your muscles can burn fat so teaching them that is helpful. My 3 mile time has dropped 12-13 minutes since September of '04.

Get a HRM and listen to the advice others have given you.

I used to hate to run, but not any more I really like it and my longs runs are fabulous...time by myself, in the zone, getting fitter, and having fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Over training during weight loss. Rss Feed