General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LongJohn vs Full wet suit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-03 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ
Subject: LongJohn vs Full wet suit
What are the pluses and minuses of a Long John wetsuit instead of a full one?  The price difference is noticable, but I'm not sure what performance differences there would be.

2006-01-03 12:32 PM
in reply to: #315566

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: LongJohn vs Full wet suit

I personally have both and I was definitely faster and felt fresher in the full wet suit.  Doing the same distance and under similar conditions in the long john, I felt stronger because I think I had better "feel" of the water but when I looked at my watch after the swim, I was probably 10s slower per 100m and way more tired. 

The full wetsuits, I think the negatives may be it can get very warm so you may overheat, more expensive, harder to get off at T1.  Positives of full wetsuits are faster, efficient, warmer if the water is colder or you are a cold person. 

2006-01-03 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
I have used both and it really is a matter of personal preference. The full wetsuit provides more warmth and buoyancy if you do not come from a swimming background I would recommend going with the full (unless you tend to overheat). I have switched to a longjohn since I tend to get overly hot in a full and I really dislike even the minimal amount of restriction that the full placed on my shoulders.

The best advice I can give you is to find a place that will rent you a wetsuit and go out and take it for a spin. Try a couple and buy the one that fits and feels best. My local tri store even applied the rental fee to the purchase price once I decided which wetsuit to buy.

Mike
2006-01-08 7:16 PM

Veteran
Las Vegas
Hijacking this thread!

if i going to be doing tri mainly in the midwest should i invest in a full one or can i save some money and buy a long john! also if it makes a difference i come from a swimming backround

thanks for your advice
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LongJohn vs Full wet suit Rss Feed