General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1/2 IM as training 4 weeks before IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-07 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: 1/2 IM as training 4 weeks before IM
Thinking about doing a 1/2 about a month before Lake Placid. Advisable? I'm not going to race it, but treat it solely as a slower paced practice for the longer event, like you would do your last long run a few weeks before doing a marathon. And it would give me the opportunity for open swimming, biking, etc on a closed course. Is the idea stupid? Have you done it?

My past race experience: lots of sprints over the years, and one 1/2 last year.

2006-01-07 9:28 PM
in reply to: #318985

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: 1/2 IM as training 4 weeks before IM
Seems like an expensive training session to me.  Generally I would think 4 wks is too close to be racing a 1/2.  If you can get one 6-8 weeks out, that might work OK.  Otherwise I think you'll be better off sticking to your training plan.
2014-02-26 2:41 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Veteran
Commerce, Georgia
just do it in training,, and several shorter ones leading up to it..

my method of half IM training is that i do nothing but s/b/r workouts now. used to be i would do the 2 disciplines a day routine,"always back to back" but now i do all 3 5 days a week with 2 rest days in there somewhere. the workouts consist of a ratio of the half IM distance,, so i do plenty at half the distance, countless at 1/4 the distance and within the 6 weeks before i taper i do a bunch at 3/4's the distance..i style of training is my belief that if its a triathlon i am training for my training consists of triathlons in training... i tend to lose focus when i try and balance the mix and match and only once in awhile put them all together,, i have adapted my mind and body to do it all every time i workout,,,i have a good 3 to 4 hour block of time beofre i go to work a 2nd shift job so i do have the time and i have the weekends for a long s/b/r workout.

full IM is a bit trickier as you would have to split it up to get the long ones in,, i can get by not doing long ones in any of the disciplines do to my all 3 back to back method at these distances leading up to the race..

kandk.

check out my training log
2014-02-26 3:44 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

New user
penticton
4 weeks out, i m not a big fan of that idea.

that weekend should be a huge training load...perhaps 6h+ on the bike....transition run, and a solid day right after. My athlete will get more preparation and fitness out of a big week and weekend of training than a half ironman race.

on top of that, doing a half ironman mean resting a few days before and a few days after of recovery. seems like a lots of resting when you should be at your peak in term of training load.

in my book... NO unless we are talking about a VERY experience athlete going into the race tired and loaded on fatigue and with minimal rest after (1 or 2 days)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1/2 IM as training 4 weeks before IM Rss Feed