General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some clarification regarding Heart Rate testing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-19 9:27 PM

Regular
Subject: Need some clarification regarding Heart Rate testing
Hi,

I've been reading in the different forums about heart rate testing and I need some clarification regarding the different methods.
I went to my LBS and had the Carmichael Field Test done. So, I have been using this formula for my training. However, in looking at different posts I'm reading that Lactate Threshold testing is more accurate than Maximum Heart Rate. I felt pretty confident until I read about LT testing and I don't even know what that is or how different it is from Max. Heart Rate testing.

My question is how much more accurate is it or can I just use the info from the CFT?

I'm relatively new to this so any info is much appreciated.

Kendra

2006-01-19 9:43 PM
in reply to: #327882

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Need some clarification regarding Heart Rate testing
Hi Kendra-

I'm not specifically familiar with the Carmichael Field Test but if it bases your training zones on max HR then do yourself a favor and estimate your LT. Lots of threads around BT discussing but Mike has some good articles on his website that should help.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1
 http://www.d3multisport.com/articles.php

Edited by TH3_FRB 2006-01-19 9:48 PM
2006-01-20 11:59 AM
in reply to: #327894

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
I'm not positive about this, but I think the Carmichael Field Test will give you a higher HR ceiling than the LT test.

The Carmichael Field Test is based on 2 reps of  8 minute maximum sustainable effort with  10 minute recover time in between.

The LT test is based on 30 minute maximum sustainable effort, with the average HR of the last 20 minutes establishing your LT.

To get the LT on the bike, just do what you did for the Carmichael Field Test, but instead of the 2x8minute reps, do 30 minutes all out and start your HR monitor after the first 10 minutes.

Remember that your LT for the run and the bike are different, so you should do a test for each.
2006-01-20 12:08 PM
in reply to: #327882

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
CTS test determines your HR LT as well as other tests done slightly different (If I remeber correctly). I did it once and my numbers were pretty similar to the ones I got while doing a 30 min TT test. I am sure youy could use those zones for your training unless you really want to try another test...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some clarification regarding Heart Rate testing Rss Feed