General Discussion Triathlon Talk » a dummies (thats me) guide to sea swimming... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-15 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
Subject: a dummies (thats me) guide to sea swimming...
i am going on holiday soon to greece and don't want to break off trainning but i have 2 questions:

1. as there is alot of sea where i am going! i thought i would train in the sea but how do u? do u swim out or along the coast? any tips, as i imagine you have to be careful about the pull of the current

2. running with shoes off on the sand- i read somewhere that this is a good thing to do once in a while for strength etc. but i have over pronating feet so would this do me more harm than good? i.e. be like running with shoes with no support in them?

cheers again

2004-05-16 2:46 AM
in reply to: #25134

Subject: RE: a dummies (thats me) guide to sea swimming...
Hi. I have done some training in the sea in this part of the world. As I live in Egypt I do some training in the Red Sea. I try and stick pretty close to safe areas...in Bays, around resorts, where people are, and generally in marked areas. The Red Sea is amazing, but can be unpredictable at times, I assume the Mediterranean (I swim in it on the N coast of Egypt) would be the same.
The biggest trouble I have here is the water is sooo salty, when you get some in your mouth it can really make for an uncomfortable swim and make you sick if you take in too much.

Enjoy your trip!
Kevin
2004-05-16 9:52 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

You should try to find someone to swim with you.  That may be the biggest single thing you could do to swim smartly.

I would swim out just far enough to clear the surf and then swim parallel to the beach. 

If you have not swam much in the ocean, be aware that it can be very different then pool swimming.  Start with some small swims and build up. 

Have a great time!

Dan

2004-05-16 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I am going to Italy next week so I will be swimming in the Adriatic, probably along Ravenna the first week and then in Trieste (up north) the second. When it comes to open water swimming here at home, I do that mostly in rivers and lakes and am not at all used to seas and oceans. I tried the Atlantic a few times in South Carolina and Cape Cod but was terrified; seeing jaws back in the 70's ruined ocean swimming for me. However, the Adriatic is calm and not terribly dangerous, so I am okay there. As long as you stay in designated swimming areas, you should be okay.
2004-05-16 5:48 PM

Cambridge, UK
swimming in the sea can take a bit of getting used to.. and sometimes sneaky waves can swap you unexpectedly, especially if you are breathing towrds the shore - which good idea otherwise you might breathe in a wave if the timing is wrong - this upsets the lungs ;-).

swim parallel to the beach, just beyond the break, as suggested before, take kinda "big" long, slow strokes and keep relaxed even if you get a bit buffeted.. try to go with the flow!

if you cant persuade someone to swim with you then perhaps get them to walk along the beach in case of problems. they could run back with you too?

as for running on sand.. take care if you are not used to it.. sand is pretty abrasive so you can end up with shredded tootsies - (i have first "foot" experience of this - ow!) running is soft sand is great for fitness though.

have a great beach hol.. dont forget sunscreen ;-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » a dummies (thats me) guide to sea swimming... Rss Feed