General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Losing a wetsuit in T1? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-19 1:48 PM

Veteran
MO
Subject: Losing a wetsuit in T1?
Has this ever happened to anyone? I'm a little bit concerned about losing my wetsuit in the first transition -- especially in the races where volunteers pull it off for you. How do they get them all sorted out again? Do things ever disappear from your transition area? Athletes in general tend to be pretty decent people, so I doubt that outright theft is much of a problem, but I can easily see people going home accidentally with the wrong wetsuit and then not being able to figure out who it belonged to. Does this ever happen, or am I being paranoid?

2004-05-19 2:09 PM
in reply to: #25895

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
Subject: RE: Losing a wetsuit in T1?
I've never had problem. Most races, the volunteers help get if off you then hand it back to you. You'll put it in your bag where you get your bike stuff out of (if the race uses that system) otherwise you just leave it in T1 near your bike.

As far as transition goes, only athletes are allowed in the area, which is quite safe. To avoid mixup you can attach a small tag with your name on it to the inside of the suit. For me, duct tape comes through again--I attach a small piece to the inside back of the suit and write my name and race# on it.

S.
2004-05-19 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I've never known anyone to lose a wetsuit.

The only thing I ever lost (and I'm sure they were picked up accidently) was a pair of ubiquitous bike gloves. You know, they pretty much looked like half the people's there. Luckily, you can put your name and a contact number into a wetsuit, so even if someone mistakenly picked it up (which is hard for me to imagine), someone would get a hold of you. You should be fine. I've found that one of the common characteristics of many triathletes is some level of paranoia. Will I forget something (now that I think of it, let me go check for the 900th time...), will I come in last, will I be swallowed alive by a man-eating trout, will kelp sneak up and wrap itself around my...

You know what I mean??? (o:

Dana
2004-05-19 2:40 PM
in reply to: #25918

Veteran
MO
Paranoia? What? I don't know what you're talking about.

I loved the giant trout -- that's one it hadn't occurred to me to worry about yet. But you're right -- it's a whole litany. What if I miss the turn-around? What if I turn around too soon and they disqualify me? What if I find the one piece of glass on the entire beach to step on, and slice my foot open and can't run? What if I get THREE flats and only have two tubes? It never ends.

I'll worry less about the wetsuit, though, and the duct tape is a good idea -- thank you both!
2004-05-19 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Hey - just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone ISN'T after me!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Losing a wetsuit in T1? Rss Feed