General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart Center of the Rockies Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Heart Center of the Rockies Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Loveland, Colorado
United States
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 59s
Overall Rank = 97/485
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 17/60
Run
  • 1h 47m 59s
  • 13.45 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I got up at 5:00, spent 30 minutes figuring out why I was up at 5:00 am on Saturday, and then had a bowl of oatmeal. I headed out around 6:45 with a Mix1 and Cahew Cookie Larabar in tow. I had received zero communication from the race organizers since I registered, and some friends of mine had the same experience. The web site for the race was actually very hard to find - I had to be directed there by someone who had called Runner's Roost and was told the actual URL address. Not a very good start. I got to Loveland and wasn't exactly sure where to go, so I just headed toward the hospital. Unfortunately, there was zero signage showing where to go, so I just followed the only other cars on the road and wound up in the right spot. After a Porta-Potty visit, I lined up, got my packet, and found my friends. There was a nice tech shirt in the package and a bib but no shwag. 8^( My friend Dan asked if I knew about aid stations. I didn't, so we asked someone at the registration table. They didn't know either. Nor did anyone they asked. Not starting off well.

After a short jog to warm up (it was about 34 degrees) and an eGel, I lined up and started running only 10 minutes late. They actually delayed the start so everyone could vacate the Porta-Pottys and start on time. Nice touch, I thought. The first mile was packed with people, so my average was dragged down a bit here. Also the first 5 miles were on trails around some lakes/ponds near the hospital and they were VERY icy. Some areas were completely ice covered and I saw a couple of people nearly fall hard. No injuries that I know of. Thankfully, we had an aid station between miles 2 and 3 where I got a cup of water. The cold water from the cooler actually felt warm in the 30 degree temps. We did a loop and a half around the ponds, and the first aid station served as the second aid station as we turned off the trails toward the County Road. More water and a gel this time. The dirt road leading to the paved road was in BAD shape - ice, mud and one huge ice/mud pit that was about 5 feet around. I hope no one fell in as I don't think they would be found.

Once on the road, we ran north on the shoulder past some major construction in which they are widening the road. A little diesel fuel encouraged me to run a little faster. We turned west through some fantastic houses in the Boyd Lake Area, and then onto the trails of Boyd Lake State Park. These trails were much clearer as they are more sun exposed. The trail twisted and wound around the lake and eventually I could see the Porta-Pottys at the finish which were just a teaser as the trail ran past them, and wound around then circled back.

Final time: 1:48 (by my watch). My goal was 1:45 or 8 min/mile, so here is where I start rationalizing. My GPS says I ran 13.45 which gives me an 8:02 min/mile - very close. If you multiply that out for a true 13.1, you get 1:45:14. Also, if you take out the first mile where it was slow due to people, you get 7:57 min/mile. And, the first 5 miles had a lot of ice. Taking all that rationalization into consideration, I think I hit my goal. What do you think? And, don't be afraid to be critical.

Here are my mile splits. Check out the last 3.45 miles. I had a pretty good 5K after 10 miles.

Mile Pace Comments
1 9:00 People
2 8:00 Ice
3 7:44 Ice
4 8:14 Ice
5 8:04 Uphill
6 8:14 Uphill
7 8:10 Uphill
8 7:48 Flat
9 7:58 Flat
10 8:18 Slight recovery before last 5K
11 7:56 Close to all out 5K
12 7:46
13 7:26
13.45 7:26

Post race
Event comments:

The actual course was great, despite the ice/snow/mud. The volunteers were great and the pancake breakfast was great. I would definitely do this one again, but I would encourage the race organizers to actually make contact with the runners by e-mail before and make their website more visible. It was all something of a mystery going in.

Last updated: 2011-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:59 | 13.45 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/60
Overall: 0/485
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-07 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: Heart Center of the Rockies Half Marathon

2011-11-07 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3857305

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Heart Center of the Rockies Half Marathon
Thanks for the report on this race.  It's on my radar for future years, hopefully they'll improve the logistics.  And I say you hit your goal given the conditions. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart Center of the Rockies Half Marathon Rss Feed