RAM Racing
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 13151/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2280/2305
Pre-race routine:

I was going into this race totally ill-prepared (training fell by the wayside due to work, getting sick, etc.) so I didn't take anything too seriously. Had a bowl of rice crispies with chocolate almond milk for breakfast and some water.
Event warmup:

Dynamic stretches while hanging out in the 15 min mile pace "corral", joking about what a bad idea this race was with my running buddy.
Run
  • 2h 09m 17s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 13m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I was prepared for this run to hurt, and it did. I really was trying to follow my training plan this fall but the longest long-run I ever squeezed in was just over 10K, so I was really relying on willpower and all the strength training I've been doing to get me through this. We paced ourselves well, never getting our HR out of the comfort zone. I didn't even wear my HR monitor but I'm sure I was around 160 or less the whole time. Actual run time was 10 min less than the official results b/c we waited in a 10 min porta potty line at the 5K marker- it took so long we got to watch the sag vehicles crawl by, haha. We made up for it in the end. I wasn't feeling awful until the last 2 miles when I was convinced my legs were just going to break off, but we made it!
What would you do differently?:

Actually train for the distance. My cardio capacity can handle just about anything I can throw at it, but my legs can't keep up yet.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobble over to the hot chocolate tents. Wow, that was tasty.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training enough. Well, I take that back. I actually performed at my average 5K pace. So technically nothing limited me DURING the race. I would have been less crippled AFTER the race had I trained more.

Event comments:

Started late b/c the 5K course had to be rerouted to do an incident with a truck and a bridge, haha. Other than that, great route, great weather, wonderful post-race treats (didn't have to wait in line b/c we finished so late!) The jacket in the goodie back left something to be desired- I'm not a huge goodie bag fan, I'd rather have some coupons, a couple power bars and a finisher's medal.

Last updated: 2011-09-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:17 | 9.32 miles | 13m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/2305
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Loop through downtown Chicago on closed off city streets- nice!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes