General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with Winter Cycling Program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-13 9:17 AM

Jackson, Tn
Subject: Help with Winter Cycling Program

So starting on Monday, I will be starting JorgeM's HR winter cycling program, but I'm a little confused on the best way to do this and was looking for some good advice.  I'm going to post the data that I've got and let yall critique it.

I did the HR test yesterday and my avg HR was 166.  That gives me the following zones:Z1 -170.  Now, I'm brand new to this, so if this looks wrong, please let me know.

So as an example, this is the first day's workout:

WU:
10' @ 68-73% + 5' alternating 20" @ 106> %
40" @ 68-73% + 5' @ 80%

MS:
10x30" (30" Rest@ 75-80% FT) @ 95-100% + 10' @ 75-80%

CD:
5-10' @ 65%

My main question: What is the best way to time these workouts while making sure that I'm in a certain HR training zone?  I have the timex global trainer.  Is there some way to enter this workout into it so that it'll let me know when each interval/session is starting/stoping or when I've entered a certain zone?  Or is the best way just to have a screen with the interval time, current HR, etc?  Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I can't seem to explain it how I'd like.  But any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!  TIA

2011-11-13 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3900133

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Help with Winter Cycling Program
Just keep it simple.... Keep your heart rate monitor visible, and display elapsed time or lap time if you want to hit the lap button between each interval.

Keep in mind that there will be some lag in your heart rate response. It may take a bit for you go get to your target heart rate, and you might overshoot it sometimes - after a while you'll learn what it "feels like" to work in the target zone. For the short intervals (20 sec on/40 sec off; 30 sec on/30 sec off, etc.), the lag in heart rate will make it hard to hit the target zones, so you may just have to do those more by feel (30 sec hard/30 sec easy).
2011-11-13 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3900133

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Help with Winter Cycling Program
I am not sure about the Timex but with the Garmin I program it all in and load it up to the Garmin.  Just the times.  The beep tells me when it is time to change the interval.  It's pretty hard to concentrate on the time and hit the zones as well.  I keep HR visible and tried to stay in the zone but it is really hard to nail Jorge's program on HR.  On his site somewhere he has his zones matched up to RPE.  Since HR does have a lag I used RPE primarily and the HR will follow.  The bonus is that you get really good at matching your RPE to HR and eventually you can judge your HR without even looking.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with Winter Cycling Program Rss Feed