General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood Lactate Testing in Atlanta Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-17 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: Blood Lactate Testing in Atlanta
Anyone know where I can get it for the least amount of money? $200 is the only price I have seen at Dynamo and ATS. Anyone else have a more "frugal" suggestion?

I know that testing this at all is not exactly frugal, but just trying to get the best data I can.

2011-11-17 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3905329

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Blood Lactate Testing in Atlanta

Is there any particular reason you feel like you need blood lactate testing? My advice is use that $200 for a few swim lessons or a bike fit or run stride analysis. Something that is going to help you get faster in real terms.

If you are dead set on getting blood lactate done then check out an Exercise Phys program at one of the local universities and volunteer to be a guinea pig.

2011-11-17 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3905427

User image

Veteran
Rocket Man - 2011-11-17 8:53 AM

Is there any particular reason you feel like you need blood lactate testing? My advice is use that $200 for a few swim lessons or a bike fit or run stride analysis. Something that is going to help you get faster in real terms.

If you are dead set on getting blood lactate done then check out an Exercise Phys program at one of the local universities and volunteer to be a guinea pig.

I am fairly new to tris and was considering blood lactate testing as well.  I am interested in knowing why you think it is not money well spent.   Might save me money.

2011-11-17 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran

Why blood lactate testing?  

The goal is an accurate lactate threshold measure, right?  ATS offers CO2 measured VO2 max testing.  The CO2 measure is correlated well enough to give an accurate lactate threshold measure.  I had this done for $100, when I brought along a friend who also had it done.  I thought this was a good measurement for a reasonable price.  My field tests agreed with the measured LT several times.

2011-11-17 1:22 PM

User image

Elite
SE

I train with power and I found BLT very helpful!

It showed me the near exact place of T1 (aerobic threshold) and T2 (FTP or Functional/Ventilatory threshold), where there was more error involved with the field testing. I had correlated HR and RPE assessments at same time/wattage for additional clarity. 

Matt Rose told me that T1 was THE metric I needed to observe for iron distance racing. He said it was less important for 70.3 and olympic. Basically T1 is the place you can race fastest at using fat as the primary fuel.

T2 Matt said was more important for Oly racing, as that is where you start to use glycogen as the primary fuel source.

The whole goal of training in zones is to become more efficient racing by pushing those data points outwards or upwards. I am no expert, but seeing the graph helped me to know for sure where I was fine to push towards, maximizing my bike in Iron training and racing and also on shorter course to a lesser degree.

Unfortunately, my late change in the bike, for which I blame myself, caused me to not realize my full potential at IMCDA. Had I not made that late change which I belive resulted in my bi-lateral lat cramping that crushed my day, I believe the BLT would have allowed me to really put on my best showing. However, you never really know.

All told, in the right hands, and with a power device, I think BLT is well worth the money and thats one of the reasons why Matt Rose goes to Kona every year. He regularly tests himself!  

2011-11-17 2:31 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

BLT is a useful piece of information to have, but at $200 a pop it isn't economically viable for most athletes to be tested on a regular basis. Testing and retesting are the only ways to ensure that your training plan is doing what it is supposed to be doing. For $200 you can get Bike and Run VO2 max tests through TSF which will give you Aerobic Threshold (AeT) and Anaerobic Threshold (which is an approximate LT number). The margin for error on these tests is not so much that it isn't comparable to the BLT and non invasive. You can also verify and recalibrate LT #'s through field testing which is free. For me as a coach BLT is a neat, nice to know number but not a must have.

Phat the reason Matt Rose goes to Kona every year is because probably has a VO2 max in the 80's and trains his butt off, not because he pricks his finger once a month

2011-11-17 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3906129

User image

Regular
Atlanta, GA
Actually, I think you all would be completely & utterly underwhelmed by my VO2

Lot's to talk about regarding BLT, pros & cons, and I've admittedly done a poor job of explaining any of it on my site (in fact, I don't think I have ANY info on it at all - poor, poor form!). One of my goals in the next month is to put together a very detailed blog post on the subject & include a case study of one of my athletes who has had been using BLT the last 2 seasons and, heaven forbid, actually executed her training and racing re: the info from the test. I think a case study is much more illustrative than a bunch of pseudo-scientific buzzwords I can throw out at you, which quite frankly, is mostly intellectual masturbation, something as coaches and athletes, I see way too, too much. Be wary the buzzword!

But...I can throw out some buzzwords and provide a very simplistic overview for everybody (prior to said case study):

The testing is done on a ergometer bicycle trainer through a standard "step-test" protocol and provides the following markers:

(1) T1 or Lactate Threshold 1 -> often referred to as "Aerobic Threshold" which typically signifies the *inferred* crossover point between carbohydrate utilization as the primary fuel source vs. fat utilization. As Harvey mentioned, when working with IM athletes, this is the number that is THE sole concern in affecting.
(2) T2 or Lactate Threshold 2 -> often referred to as "Anaerobic Threshold", "FTP" or "Maximal Lactate at Steady State (MLSS)" this is the *inferred* point where our body is producing more lactate than it can clear. In the articles you read or when you hear other athletes talk about LT, this is usually what they are referring to.
(3) Power Zones based on your lactate curve -> I create the zones based on the shape of the curve (i.e., the "story" the curve tells)
(4) HR Zones based on your lactate curve
(5) Inferred running HR zones -> Inferred is the CRITICAL word here!

Just for reference and not to convince folks otherwise, I prefer the BLT as it provides a snapshot of the metabolic cost at various outputs within a repeatable environment. As I mentioned, I create the zones based on the curve which allows me to analyze which aerobic systems need more work based on the shape of the curve and the lactate being produced. This is the most important difference between a field test to determine your zones or a VO2 test. The lactate curve really provides a picture, or a "story", of your aerobic fitness at the current state. Yes, the BLT can be affected by nutrition, hydration, sleep, stress (cortisol). However, ANY TEST (field test, VO2, etc.) is affected by the same variables. In my opinion - and take that w/ a grain of salt - despite these variables, I prefer the BLT.

One of my issues with most VO2 test results is that the results are plugged into an equation and spits out zones based on the max. As such it often overestimates the strength of the lower end aerobic systems (z2) which is where we, as endurance athletes (especially long course athletes!), spend most of our training time. Overestimating this zone is dangerous, as it often leads to over-reaching and/or over-training. The last two years, I have had too many athletes come to me for a BLT completely throttled (yes, we can see this in the results of your BLT) because they have been using training zones determined by a VO2 test or a field test that was too short, either using the "plug & chug" formula protocol. I'm a liberal arts guy by background. I like to play in that cross-section of liberal arts and science, acknowledging the gray that exists in life and in sport. I don't like applying binary principles (black/white; 1s/0s), per se, to any of these methods which intrinsically is what a formula does. It makes the assumption that every single person is the same and that is just not the case. The "beauty" of the BLT, to me, is that it allows interpretation. I can read the curve, take into account the athlete's background and then interpret accordingly using judgment. And admittedly, the athlete needs to trust that judgment. Just know that there are some sound, scientific guidelines steering that judgment.

Most people, I find, get tested and when they see how "slow" they need to train in z2, completely disregard it and trudge forward business as usual. That being said, there are many reasons why a person would choose to eschew the info, and I'm not one to deride an athlete for the decisions they make (we're amateurs not getting paid for this & more importantly, we're adults). As for frequency, I tell people test 2x a year, 3 if you really, really want to. Expensive? Yep, especially if you aren't going to use the data to train and race with. Oh, and for the record, I tested 3x this year - January, June and September. I prefer to keep my fingers pristine for most of the year

Lastly, and geesh I apologize for this looooong reply, as RocketMan astutely says, when in doubt, ALWAYS, ALWAYS work on the engine or the skill. If you're just not sure you will use the info of a BLT, save that money, save the time and invest either or on improving the skill and/or engine. Whenever I find myself REMOTELY stressing out about equipment or the like, I envision Mark Allen & Dave Scott riding heavy, aluminum bikes out on the Queen K, and remember that they're basically racing just as fast as most of the pros do these days w/ all of our fancy toys. Ultimately, it's the engine & the skill.

And one, one more last thing...please don't confuse any of this for a TSF vs. Dynamo response. I'm supportive of the entire tri community here in GA and think all of the athletes here have so many great options from which to obtain counsel, TSF obviously included in those options.

Back to getting some work done! Happy Thanksgiving to all...

Matthew

Edited by EnduRight 2011-11-17 3:33 PM
2011-11-17 3:27 PM

User image

Elite
SE

Just to respond to the above, I don't have a dog in the fight and I'm not shilling for Matthew or TSF (not saying that Rocketman does or that he would offer advice based on his TSF affiliation). I just think when a guy of that caliber, who works as hard as he does (you don't just get born into KONA) tells me that, for my Ironman, THE critical metric is T1 and BLT provides that number with the least amount of error, albeit some error (+/- 5 watts was what he quoted me) you have to ask yourself is it worth it to drop the coin. I had thousands of dollars tied up in 3 Ironman races in the last <2 years so I figured it was worth the $.

Rocketman is right that you can find better ROI on other things, as we are discussing in another thread, but I had those bases covered so I may be providing a different perspective. I wanted to know without a doubt my most efficient wattage (maximum wattage at lower HR, lower RPE, lower lactate in blood) to hold so if I acted like a knucklehead and burnt matches pushing the bike, it was on me for not following the physiologically-based advice I had received. There is more to this story in terms of potential errors, but we are simplifying somewhat.

I should note that, as I recall, my field tests and my BLT were approx 10-20 watts apart. Over the course of 5+ hours, that could have meant a lot. So, perhaps a qualified yes on BLT would be more appropriate.

PS anybody that wants to can read Matthew Rose's multi-part blog and he illustrates how he used BLT this season on his way to Kona. I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Don't have the link right at moment.

2011-11-17 3:50 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Thanks for the info.
2011-11-18 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

I was going to comment, but I think Rose covered things pretty well.

Basically if you're going to utilize the BLT as it's supposed to be used then it's worth more than the $200 as it's very vital information. But if you're going to just look at the graph and go "ooooo squiggly lines!!" then it's not worth the money, nor would any test for that matter. However if yourself, or coach, knows how to utilize the information then it is a very valuable and worth the $$

2011-11-20 12:51 PM

User image

New user

DFW/N. Texas
I'm not in Atlanta (great town, by the way!) but I've been testing athletes since 1999 using expired air, or Vo2 and blood lactate for a few years. Some points from comments here;

The talk of a swim lesson or bike session, etc. is a good one based on the athlete's technical ability; in theory, we say 'Vo2 MAX. There are no maxs, just peaks. Peak for what your ability is, how good your form is. Not many of us have near perfect form and therefore will not show a max, but a peak result for the capacity you have in the physiological sense, and the technical sense. So, if you are a crappy swimmer, cyclist, etc, do go get a swim session or two with a good coach!

Testing is not a futile act. If you are new to endurance sports, and you have no idea where thresholds are, you do need to test and get some idea of where you should be during aerobic workouts and high intensity workouts. After a couple of tests, if you know what you are doing or have a coach who does, field testing can take it to the next step in progressions with little need for testing more than a time or two per year. My point is that it may take you some time to accurately figure out where aerobic and anaerobic are by feel, something I'd encourage athletes to learn about themselves (i.e. threshold HR is 155BPM and your RPE or rate of perceived exertion, is a 6 on your test; start learning to calibrate that RPE with that HR so that you learn to 'feel' it) Heart rate can be skewed tremendously with dehydration, high carbohydrate meals, cardiac drift, etc. But it's a good tool to use!

And while mention of reading the curve here, which is what we do, the energy systems are not as clearly dictated with blood lactate as they are with Vo2. PLUS, if you are using a Vo2 analyzer and you use their 'canned' reports, you need to have a lesson with a scientist who will teach you what the RER (respiration exchange ratios) or RQ (respiration quotients) mean and how a person's test data and background/information, tells you what it means (i.e. a very aerobic person/a sprinter) and where to set zones. You could say that Vo2 shows you where aerobic ends and anaerobic begins better than blood lactate.

Blood lactate shows work in the muscles and does not care where the energy source comes from. It simply says, 'your muscles can do X for only so long'. For me, it's very important to have both tests to set work and energy zones for athletes. It just 'makes me smarter' in my knowledge of an athlete.

Once you have these numbers, you should be able to manipulate them without testing every month in a lab and using data from work in the field to monitor.

And lastly, it's important because you have X amount of fast twitch fibers and Y amount of slow twitch; yes, some fibers can be transformed, but the BALANCE of what kind of animal you are will be dictated by the type of work you do. If you train too much anaerobic, then your aerobic will suffer at a certain point (and vice versa) A test curve of a blood lactate test will show you (or, you can do a max blood lactate test, which I don't need to do with my athletes I test on a regular basis)whether you are good at flushing lactate out-a long, drawn out curve, once you hit threshold (3.6-4.0 mmols) and thus a sprinter, or, the 'hockey stick, straight up-curve, that shows you are an aerobic animal that buffers low amounts of lactate very well, but suffers once you hit higher levels (because we work in the aerobic state most often)

So my take is that it is VERY much worth it to test (make sure you get someone that knows what they are doing and not just someone who OWNS a machine!!! This is rampant these days!) Take the numbers, use wattage, HR, pace, rate and every other measurable piece of data, and work your numbers so that you calibrate them with your field work.

I hope this might help in determining how you spend your hard earned money! Good luck!

-Todd Codish
Head Coach
Triple Threat Tough

2011-11-21 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran

Rocket Man - 2011-11-17 3:31 PM

BLT is a useful piece of information to have, but at $200 a pop it isn't economically viable for most athletes to be tested on a regular basis. Testing and retesting are the only ways to ensure that your training plan is doing what it is supposed to be doing. For $200 you can get Bike and Run VO2 max tests through TSF which will give you Aerobic Threshold (AeT) and Anaerobic Threshold (which is an approximate LT number). The margin for error on these tests is not so much that it isn't comparable to the BLT and non invasive. You can also verify and recalibrate LT #'s through field testing which is free. For me as a coach BLT is a neat, nice to know number but not a must have.

The OP asked about "frugal".

Read forums. Read websites. Do it yourself field testing is free - and a good workout.

You can determine your LT (Lactate Threshold) or "Anaerobic Threshold" or "FTP"

or "Maximal Lactate at Steady State" (MLSS), close enough.

From there you can calculate your AT "Aerobic Threshold" which typically signifies the

*inferred* crossover point between carbohydrate utilization as the primary fuel source

vs. fat utilization. Yes, it's calculated, but it's close enough.

+1 "As Harvey mentioned, when working with IM athletes, this (AT) is the number that is

THE sole concern."

In order to arrive at the start of the run with enough fuel, you have to bike at close to (AT) Aerobic Threshold.  This allows the body to digest what you're taking in, and at this level about half of your energy is coming from fat stores, which is essentially unlimited.

Doing long bricks helps determine if one needs to adjust the bike target pace up or down a little, and adjust your nutrition, in order not to bonk on the run.  How 'wiped out' do you feel when you're done?

For less than $100 you can have a training sessions with a coach, do your own field tests, then meet with the coach again and have him/her review your data.  Then you'll be confident in re-doing it every few months and you can see your progress.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood Lactate Testing in Atlanta Rss Feed