2006-04-28 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Subject: Choosing pedals and shoes?
Any tips on choosing pedal systems?

I'm a big guy, 6'5" tall 240lbs.
I have size 14 feet if that matters.

I'm looking at upgrading to clipless pedals and shoes.
What should I look for in shoes and pedals?
There is quite a range of different choices, in multiple price ranges.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2006-04-28 8:41 AM
in reply to: #408892

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: RE: Choosing pedals and shoes?
Those are some big hoofs! I'm a size 12 and when I went looking for my shoes it took me quite some time before I found a pair that felt good on my feet. The very first thing to look for really is fit and comfort. The shoes have to feel comfortable with no pressure points anywhere.

I think I tried on about a dozen pair of different shoes before I found the right one. It was also amazing to see the size variation between the manufacturer's. One manufacturer's size 12 felt absolutely huge on my feet while shoes of the same size from a different manufacturer were as tight as hell. Make sure you have enough room in the toe box and that you can wiggle your toes around but at the same time the shoe should hold onto your heal firmly so that it doesn't lift when walking. One good check is to put your foot so that the shoe is pointing straight down and apply some downward pressure. Does the foot move forward and touch the tip of the shoe? It shouldn't.

In terms of shoe features, it really depends o what your'er looking for as there are lots of optiosn. Flat soled road shoe or mountain bike type shoe with treads? Personally I like the later simply because I can walk in the shoes without fear of slipping. If you're looking for a tri specific shoe, you probably want one with a single velcro closure and a pull-up loop at the heal to help with getting your shoes on in the transition areas.

As for pedals, I would look for one that has a comfortable base to help spread some of the load instead of concentrating it on one single hot-spot. This is especially important if you are going to go with a MTB type shoe where the soles are not as stiff as on traditional road shoes. Lastly, I would consider the amount of float that the pedal has especially if you have knee issue.

2006-04-28 8:46 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
I have used two types of pedals SPD and Look.

Right now I have Look. I got the following. They were $40-$50 cheaper when I got them last December.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=15343&subcatego...

I like them much better than the SPD pedals. I commute and if I'm at a red light and start pedaling when it turns green, I don't worry if I don't get clipped in right away because there is plenty of room on the platform type pedal to go. (But it is pretty easy to clip in.)

As far as shoes go, I bought a $40 pair from performancebike.com and have used them since I started riding and they seem to work fine, but I don't know any different.
2006-04-28 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I wear size 14 running shoes and had no problem fitting into Louis Garneau shoes. Just make sure you either buy or at least try them on at a LBS to make sure that they fit well. They should be a little snug, but comfortable.

As for shoes, the main price factor is weight. You'll pay more for carbon fiber or impregnated soles than heavier plastic ones, for example. You'll also usually pay a bit more for tri specific shoes, as well. The primary difference there is that they will have one or two velcro straps, a one-piece design (no tongue) for easy on, and a loop at the heel for pulling them on quickly. If you.

As for pedals, I'm sure you'll hear a lot of different opinions. I don't know that any pedal system is necessarily better than the rest. It's primarily about personal preference. I bought Speedplays because I like how easy they are to clip in, and I like the feel.
2006-04-28 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Thanks for the info.

My problem is that a size 14 = 48-49.
My LBS doesn't have any shoes that big.
The next 3 closest bike shops didn't have any when I was there either.

I think I have to order online, but at the same time I don't know how they should feel or fit, so I am hesitant.

2006-04-28 10:09 AM

Master
Colorado

Call this place: http://www.tribonzai.com/

Ask to talk to Mark, the owner.  He is 6'6 ~280 and been doing this for a long time.  He might have some helpful info for you.

2006-05-01 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
I emailed Mark, he was helpful.

He says just about any pedal system will work.
But he did recommend some bike shoe companies that make shoes larger than size 48 if I need them.

That might be useful.

Thanks.
2006-05-03 9:56 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

With all the gear to buy I'm looking to cut corners where I can.  Someday I'll upgrade to nicer pedals but for my first set I bought Motobecane new off of ebay for $25.  I don't know if they are durable, but they work.  I figured it was more important to get quality, comfortable shoes first.  I went with the Louis Garneaus and after trying on other brands in the store it seems like they have a bigger toebox (still not that big) than other brands.  I ordered mine from trisports.com (thanks BT discount) after trying them on at the store. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing pedals and shoes? Rss Feed