General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for Leadville 100 Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-21 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: Advice for Leadville 100 Run
Registered for Leadville trail run last week, which will be my first 100 miler. Couldn't be more excited about it. Looking for any advice that might help get me to the finish line in under 30 hours.

Biggest concern is that I train in Michigan at around 800 (gigantic) feet above sea level, and the race is 9,000' - 12,600' ASL. So any suggestions for how I can prepare for this are most welcome. I'm planning on getting there around a week to 10 days ahead of the race to attempt to acclimate. A friend suggested I run all my long runs around here with a massive hang over to simulate running at altitude. Pretty funny stuff.

I'm doing all my long runs on trails right now, trying to get in as many hills as possible. I'm doing some 50km trail races this winter, and I'm planning on at least one 50 miler in the Spring to try to get down some nutrition and pacing ideas.

2011-11-22 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3910674

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-11-22 11:18 AM

2011-11-22 12:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Subject: RE: Advice for Leadville 100 Run

That is so cool, good luck!

I have only done a 50K, so all I can say is do a lot of off road training.

2011-11-22 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3911637

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
wgraves7582 - 2011-11-22 11:33 AM

Awesome - can't wait to follow your training and then conquering that race!

I have no knowledge - One of the ladies here did Western States and she was from Michigan I believe - what it Trishie??- my mind is drawing a blank and if she is still around BT she might be of help to you.  Your plan sounds good - do you snowshoe run?  That is a killer workout as well and might be of some help.

When you get out there plan to hydrate constantly.  Whenever I get to the west I drink 2x more water than I do back east and still feel dry all the time. 

For acclimating, I would start off in Denver first for a couple of days, then go higher (evergreen area) but return to Denver to let the body recover at the "lowest" elevation possible.  Sort of like climbing mountains - go high - sleep low.  After a week you will be as acclimated as you will get in that time period.

Good luck with the training!

Yeah, Trixie is awesome, I'll have to pick her brain at some point with all my questions.

My first time in snowshoes was at a 10k snowshoe race in Traverse City last year and I loved it. Considering getting some good running ones this year...if we ever get any snow!

Good point about using Denver to stay for the first few nights (at least), but getting up in the mountains during the day to not completely bomb my body with the elevation change. Thanks!
2011-11-22 10:09 PM

My buddy and training partner did Leadville this year, we are from Iowa, so no altitude to speak of, his plan was to crash course it, meaning he went up Thursday before the race and just "did it". From everything he has read your body takes anywhere from 3 weeks to longer to actually aclimate, so it was actually better to crash it and have his body just take it in as he went! He did Complete the race in 29:53! But he was a hurtin unit! He experienced some edema and some other related issues with altitude, he says he has no regrets but he also admits it was the toughest endurance challenge yet, he is a veteran of many 100 milers and IMs! Good luck in whatever training direction you go! I'm also training for my 1st 100 next summer!

2011-11-23 12:58 AM

Sent you a PM
2011-11-23 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3912606

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
HawkeyeNation - 2011-11-22 11:09 PM

My buddy and training partner did Leadville this year, we are from Iowa, so no altitude to speak of, his plan was to crash course it, meaning he went up Thursday before the race and just "did it". From everything he has read your body takes anywhere from 3 weeks to longer to actually aclimate, so it was actually better to crash it and have his body just take it in as he went! He did Complete the race in 29:53! But he was a hurtin unit! He experienced some edema and some other related issues with altitude, he says he has no regrets but he also admits it was the toughest endurance challenge yet, he is a veteran of many 100 milers and IMs! Good luck in whatever training direction you go! I'm also training for my 1st 100 next summer!

Congrats to your training partner for his finish and to you for taking on your first hundred next year. It's going to be a great year to run.

I don't think I'd do very well if I crash coursed the altitude. That's a pretty hardcore approach, though it obviously worked out for your friend! Although I'm not a type-a super planner, I do better when I have some idea (physically and mentally) of what's coming.
2011-11-27 6:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Surprise, AZ
I am also doing Leadville as my 2nd 100 miler.  I live and train at 1200ft and elevation effects everybody different.  Last year I did the 50 mile silver rush race in Leadville.  I noticed the elevation for the first few miles but after that it was no big deal.  I did get really dehydrated during this race and I am not sure if had to do with the elevation or not drinkning as much since it was much cooler then the temps I used to training with.  If I were you i would not get there that early.  I am planning on showing up Thursday evening, check in on Friday then race on Saturday.  I would also come in for the Silver Rush race as your last long 50 mile training run/100 mile run week and I would also run/walk hope pass while you are there so you will not have any surprises come race day.  PM me if you need any advice.  
2011-11-27 9:16 PM

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)

I have run Leadville several times but cannot really give you personal advice on acclimatization as I live at a high elevation.  From what I have observed some people do very well just showing up before the race while other people do need to get a week or two of acclimatization to have a better chance of finishing.  With that said, Leadville is a tough race for first timers because of the time limit.  If you are not a fast runner at high elevation you are likely to be getting close to the cutoffs, you really have to keep moving.  Limit the time in the aid stations.  I would encourage you to develop some realistic splits for the race.  Be careful to not start out too fast as there are many runnable sections.  It is real easy to go out too fast then have nothing left to finish the race.  If you go out early before the race, I would definitely recommend hiking over Hope Pass.  That is the only major killer hill especially on the second time up.  (Although, the other hills will feel hard also.).  Also, do a couple of night runs before the race.

Good Luck!

2011-11-29 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3916470

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Focker - 2011-11-27 7:34 PM

I am also doing Leadville as my 2nd 100 miler.  I live and train at 1200ft and elevation effects everybody different.  Last year I did the 50 mile silver rush race in Leadville.  I noticed the elevation for the first few miles but after that it was no big deal.  I did get really dehydrated during this race and I am not sure if had to do with the elevation or not drinkning as much since it was much cooler then the temps I used to training with.  If I were you i would not get there that early.  I am planning on showing up Thursday evening, check in on Friday then race on Saturday.  I would also come in for the Silver Rush race as your last long 50 mile training run/100 mile run week and I would also run/walk hope pass while you are there so you will not have any surprises come race day.  PM me if you need any advice.  

We're doubling this trip as a vacation in the mountains beforehand, so that's part of why I'm going up there early. A few years ago I camped at Moraine Park in RMNP (8100') and had some altitude sickness the first night, but felt fine the rest of the time, including hiking at much higher elevations, so I'm hoping to acclimate well next August. Also, I more recently hiked in the Tetons without any elevation issues, albeit at less than 8,000'. The hydration reminder is strongly noted, as well as getting out to Hope Pass for a climb just to know what's coming. Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do Silver Rush race this year, but have fun if you get to do it.

2011-11-29 11:17 PM

2011-12-05 11:20 AM

Pro
Parker, CO

I have never run Leadville but I do have experience at high altitude running.  I agree with the others that have said getting to altitude the week of the race is not a good idea.  your body will take at least a couple weeks to acclimate.  You may be hurting more than helping your race if you don't have at least a couple weeks to acclimate. Last year I ran Pikes Peak with a friend from Seattle.  He arrived the day before the race and he did pretty well for the run with no training at altitude.  The other thing to keep in mind is the entire Leadville race is over 10,000 feet.  When you are over 10,000 feet there is no comparison to 8,000-9,000 feet...the air is much thinner and there is much less oxygen.  Not  alot you can do to prepare for that at sea level but just be prepared that you will feel much different at 10,000+ than at the 8,000 where you did some hiking previously.

I've read some of your RR's and I know you are a pretty fast runner.  What I would recommend is get used to running slow over hilly terrain.  Even running a treadmill at a steep incline will be helpful to get you legs prepared for the climbing that you will be doing at Leadville.  As others have mentioned, do some trail running in the dark, and of course, hydrate once you arrive at altitude.  I can't tell you how many out of town friends I've see get altitude sickness...even if just down-hill skiing. 

One other thing, check out the following website which has some really good information on high altitude running:  www.skyrunner.com

Good luck!

2011-12-07 4:08 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks to Ray and Paulette for your insight and information. I'm taking all advice under strong consideration. I'm definitely going to do lots of long hilly trail runs -- including all-night runs -- at sustainable efforts, in preparation.

Part of the appeal of Leadville to me is that I'm going to have to relinquish control over certain aspects of the race due to elevation. Maybe I'll be fine, but maybe I won't be. There is a strong possibility that I won't finish before the cutoff, and I'd be naive to think otherwise.

But that's exactly what I'm excited about. I need to take on a challenge so hard (to me) that no matter how well I train, no matter how tough I am on race day, no matter how much willpower I have to NOT quit, I still might not finish the race. The mountain might break me. But they're going to have to cut my chip and pull my bib to stop me from trying to finish.
2011-12-07 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3930185

Expert
Waller County, TX

yeats - 2011-12-07 4:08 PM

Maybe I'll be fine, but maybe I won't be. There is a strong possibility that I won't finish before the cutoff, and I'd be naive to think otherwise.

But that's exactly what I'm excited about. I need to take on a challenge so hard (to me) that no matter how well I train, no matter how tough I am on race day, no matter how much willpower I have to NOT quit, I still might not finish the race. The mountain might break me. But they're going to have to cut my chip and pull my bib to stop me from trying to finish.

It is this sentiment that has me looking forward to my upcoming ultras for next year.

Rock on.

2012-01-05 5:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

Found this link posted on the ultralist.  A few interesting tips to consider, some pretty obvious, some I've not seen before.

http://www.activeataltitude.com/preparation-for-altitude-jan12.pdf

2012-01-10 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3973657

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Steve in IL - 2012-01-05 6:28 PM

Found this link posted on the ultralist.  A few interesting tips to consider, some pretty obvious, some I've not seen before.

http://www.activeataltitude.com/preparation-for-altitude-jan12.pdf

Nice list, thanks for posting. But what's all this "avoid alcohol and caffeine in the 2 weeks prior to coming out"? That's some kind of crazy talk

I really want to get out to the mountains and try some of these and other ideas I've read to see how the body responds. Hoping sometime in May or June for a killer training weekend.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for Leadville 100 Run Rss Feed