General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling/Triathlon groups in Las Vegas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-25 5:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Cycling/Triathlon groups in Las Vegas
Are there any tri groups or cycling groups in vegas? I'd like to find people to ride with, makes it more fun in my opinion.

2011-11-26 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3915059

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: Cycling/Triathlon groups in Las Vegas

ryanlangmaid - 2011-11-25 3:58 PM Are there any tri groups or cycling groups in vegas? I'd like to find people to ride with, makes it more fun in my opinion.

There is Las Vegas Triathlon Club, and Xcell Performance Group that does triathlon training. 

If you have a regular road bike, depending on what area you're from - East side/Henderson area - hang out with the Green Valley Folks. West side/Summerlin - Las Vegas Bicycle club and BLV (BikingLasVegas).   GV has a lot of different rides/routes/levels.  BLV also has a bunch of rides - and they do Tues/Thurs night rides where there's quite a few hammerheads.  I've had a few riders say that they became faster because of riding with them. However, it's a short route, so if you're doing an Ironman or much longer endurance, use those days as speed days. There is a slower group option as well.  Fun to ride at night! 

GV folks has rides all over the place, and majority of them are on the West side. Very nice group to ride with, rarely anyone gets dropped (I'm not sure how the A group does, since I'm not that fast!) LVBC - They have three rides every week, same rides. It can get a little boring at times due to the same route, but they're a fun nice group to hang out with.

As for swimming, the only one I know is through Xcell Performance as they have it twice a week at a pool at a very early time, unless if you're a member of the pool, you have to pay for that. I do that once in a while to have the coach look at my strokes. Set workouts for the day, changes from time to time. Sometimes we swim laps together to get used to the "washing machine" and learn how to draft off another swimmer.  So...I would do it for those two reasons from time to time.

IF you have a triathlon bike and a road bike, leave your Tri bike at home and ride your road bike. SOME people frown on Tri bikes at club rides. They may not say anything, but if you go in to aero, it's really frown upon.  Just be warned, but there are some triathletes that do club rides and they have their own training times where they can go in aero. 

T'care and good luck at finding what you want!

2011-11-26 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
A lot of great info! Thanks so much!
2011-11-26 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
A lot of great info! Thanks so much!
2012-08-15 7:43 PM

User image

Boulder City, NV

Saw this post, and wanted to add my own two cents Wink

If you're interested in the South Side (Boulder City), our group does regular rides, as well.  We've got a base that is mainly made up of newbies and people looking to get in triathlon shape, but we also do a lot of work with the military (Ride2Recovery is our flagship group).

If you'd like to see more about us, we're at XtremeAverage.org

2014-02-01 11:22 PM
in reply to: ryanlangmaid

User image

Las Vegas, Nevada
The info that Cyborg is really useful. Also, I'm not sure what days you ride on but on Saturday or Sunday early mornings between like 7-9am you'll usually see some groups meeting up and riding out from the Dunkin Donuts & Albertons parking lot on W. Charleston & Desert Foothills. Green Valley Cyclist has a pretty good group also like Cyborg mentioned. McGhies on Ft. Apache and West Flamingo has a pretty fast Tuesday group that ranges from 18-22 mph avg. group speed from like 30-40 miles. They do villa ridge and some other random locations throughout the west side. I usually ride on Sundays and Wednesdays with two - three fairly fast triathlete friends from Dunkin Donuts on W. Charleston.

If you have a hard time finding a fun group to ride with then let me know...I can always see if you can ride with some of us. Be safe on the road!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling/Triathlon groups in Las Vegas Rss Feed